Thinking of the P3 advance or professional

Reaction score
Right now I am on the fence about this thing. I currently have a TBS discovery Pro running a pixhawk flight controller. I built it myself and have flown in many times, however, I have never been able to get my range issues figured out with the FPV. I constantly will lose signal and as such have lost all confidence in flying it.

I was at the lake this weekend and noticed a gentleman flying a p3. I figured he was still new to it as all his inputs were very choppy and he landed horribly and would tip over. This guy was following boats over the water and going around the bend at the very end of the lake where I would lose site of the quad. it would then reaper about 5-10 minutes later coming from the opposite direction that it left. This blew me away as I have no range at all with my quad. I purposely also left mine at home as I knew there would be many people at the lake. The guy was hover over kids in the water and flying along the beach just out of reach. I know this is exactly what gives this hobby a bad name as I could see people getting annoyed with it.

What are your thoughts on making the switch from the tbs to the phantom?

I don't know anything about the TBS -- but, you'll definitely want to go with the P3A or P3P if long range is your goal. None of DJI's competitors have been able to match the range of their Lightbridge system yet.

Reactions: sfsmedic
I just have to say. I got the p3p and love the thing. I will be putting my TBS discovery pro up for sale very shortly.

I found a slightly used pro. No regrets, although there is a slight learning curve with the camera and it's settings. Just went 15,300 feet today one way, signal did not drop out one bit.

P3A and P3P are both the same (Advance & Pro).

Only differences is the 2.7k (advance) vs the 4k (Pro) cameras. The P3A comes with a 50 something watt charger while the Pro comes with a faster 100w charger. There are a couple other small details but nothing worth paying for or to mention in detail unless requested.

The thing is - if you have a newer Apple computer or a comparable windows PC with proper editing software - the Pro is the way to go! You can edit your videos in 4k and while you may not have a way to watch 4k videos - you can with ease export your edited movies out to 1080 & 4k.

However both are solid platforms. If I could do it over again - I'd go with the pro over the advance just so I could save my movies in 4k for future viewing.. you know - 10 years from now when everyone has a 4k tv and just starting to buy into 5k.

A bit late now, but the range issue you had Im sure was solvable. You never said what you used as VTX and receiver, but whatever it was, I suspect you had a problem with mismatched antenna's or frequencies. Phantom 3 range is good, excellent even, but analog FPV systems have the potential to achieve far greater distances even. Then again, not with the same video quality.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl