Thinking of switching from Phantom 2 to Vision +

Reaction score
I got a Phantom 2 with H3 3D gimbal for a GoPro a few month ago. I love it but the one thing that really bugs me is the fact I keep seeing the left landing gear in the frame. I investigated for a solution but there's nothing that really fixes this problem (to my liking anyway). All this to say that I'm thinking of selling my current Phantom to get a Vision+. I'd like to know the pros and cons to this model. For now I see some advantages like getting FPV with my iPhone and not having to manage the GoPro separately. I'd like to know if the image quality is comparable (from what I've seen I think so). Thanks.

Well, I'll just point out that you'll still get landing gear (or props) in your images/video, but generally only when turning or flying fast.

Fotoman said:
I got a Phantom 2 with H3 3D gimbal for a GoPro a few month ago. I love it but the one thing that really bugs me is the fact I keep seeing the left landing gear in the frame. I investigated for a solution but there's nothing that really fixes this problem (to my liking anyway). All this to say that I'm thinking of selling my current Phantom to get a Vision+. I'd like to know the pros and cons to this model. For now I see some advantages like getting FPV with my iPhone and not having to manage the GoPro separately. I'd like to know if the image quality is comparable (from what I've seen I think so). Thanks.
What model of gopro do you have?

Phantom 2 flyers are often quick to point out that their Gopro is a better camera but you'll find that the P2+ is quite capable too. I love it for photography and love being able to take photos with the touch of a button whenever I want to just like a real camera. Video is good too and landing gear and props only show if you are pushing the bird hard. Most of the time they are invisible. For an idea of image quality you can see some of my aerial images (resized from original P2+). The link is in my sig

I have flown =my Phantom 2 with the H3 3D for three months and I never ever had the leg show up in a video. To avoid prop guards, I control this with the pitch of the camera.

I prefer my Phantom 2 with GoPro over my Vision+

Pros of H3-3D with GoPro:
-much higher quality video (bit rate, pixels, etc.)
-more camera options and software support (photoshop has an amazing GoPro lens corrector for the fisheye)
-easier to replace vs the vision+ gimbal/camera combo (vision+ gimbal is VERY fragile and costs $700... if you can find it in stock!)
-better in low light

Pros of the Vision+:
-Control camera and its settings while flying
-RAW pictures
-All-in-one unit = simple

I film in 2.7K and process my videos in 1080p so I always have extra pixels to crop out the legs and not loose quality.
When I want pictures I turn on time lapse mode and by the time I land I have a hundred pictures to choose from.

Fotoman said:

can you set the gopro to shoot in a narrower field of view like the phantom V+ camera does in its settings??

Of course you can, if its a hero3+ Black its even wee buns to change the lens for a narrower flat field lens and not too expensive. You just have to make setting changes before you fly, so not possible mid flight.

IrishSights said:
Of course you can, if its a hero3+ Black its even wee buns to change the lens for a narrower flat field lens and not too expensive. You just have to make setting changes before you fly, so not possible mid flight.

I have a Hero 3 Black edition. Can you tell me more about this flat field lens? Thanks.

Fotoman said:
IrishSights said:

I have a Hero 3 Black edition. Can you tell me more about this flat field lens? Thanks.

Sure. A good information source is on the ragecams.com website although it can be purchased much cheaper elsewhere. It is truly a no curvature lens. No post processing is needed to remove fish-eye. It gets the impression of being much closer to subjects yet staying further away.

The 3+Black Edition lens is much easier to take out and can be down without taking the camera apart - just the rubber outer, not with other models unfortunately - but still can be done. The lens utilises a 10 megapixal area of the sensor, which is pretty good for doubling the focal length. There are youtube videos available for replacing the lens.

After fitting the new lens needs focussed. This can be done by hooking up the HDMI port to a screen. Rubber grommets around the lens thread make it tight enough to stay in the focused postion and yet still be turned with a gentle grip of the pliers. Again easily done. If I can do it anyone can!

If a small mark is made on the lens relative to the rubber barrel to record the focus point, it is perfectly feasible to swap the original lens back for those wide angle shots.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4