Thinking of selling up

Reaction score
Ok guys , this really is a last attempt, ive had my P2 for 18 months now, it has a h3-2d gimbal, and ive just recently bought a GP 4 black. To give you a bit about me, im a decent photographer,and a decent RC pilot, however i just cant get good quality video from my phantom , Mainly down to rendering software, I have a SRP 8nd filter which gives a really dark cast , which i find hard to remove, and no matter what i try in premiere pro the output quality if naff, especially the youtube preset, its just plain horrible. I find gopro studio has better quality output, and is 3 times faster than Premier pro, but dosent have the options for tiltles etc. Ive also tried capturing at 1080, 60 fps then changing the output to 30 fps as i like the cinematic effect this gives, but when i try it the quality is terrible, im really thinking of just selling up, unless someone can shed some light and point me in the right direction????

Post a sample video and exactly where you see flaws. Different people consider vastly different things to be either great or terrible.

ok this is some sample footage from the GP4
its 4k edited in GPS,

heres an old project i did with the 3+, its in 1080, and i think the quality is poor, I'm quite happy with the quality of the 4k, but would like to slow it down, however i presume this can't be done as its only 30fps??

Ok guys , this really is a last attempt, ive had my P2 for 18 months now, it has a h3-2d gimbal, and ive just recently bought a GP 4 black. To give you a bit about me, im a decent photographer,and a decent RC pilot, however i just cant get good quality video from my phantom , Mainly down to rendering software, I have a SRP 8nd filter which gives a really dark cast , which i find hard to remove, and no matter what i try in premiere pro the output quality if naff, especially the youtube preset, its just plain horrible. I find gopro studio has better quality output, and is 3 times faster than Premier pro, but dosent have the options for tiltles etc. Ive also tried capturing at 1080, 60 fps then changing the output to 30 fps as i like the cinematic effect this gives, but when i try it the quality is terrible, im really thinking of just selling up, unless someone can shed some light and point me in the right direction????

It's time for a P3. :)

Really mario are they any better, I've seen some outstanding footage from the GP4 black, i think a 3d gimbal would smooth the video a lot better though

I really don't know what I'm talking about. Everything I've read about the P3 is that it's far more superior in flight and picture taking vs the P2. I own a P3P myself and I believe it's an incredibly stable platform but as far as video quality in concerned I am no cinematographer. Meta4, one of the staff members here, has an incredible portfolio with some shots from a P3 (I think -- sounds like he may have several different drones). Although I didn't see any video I do think these pictures are really good. Maybe he can chime in on your situation.

Aerial Photography

This is a delicate question to answer. The P3P is a huge leap forward in my personal opinion. I also used the P2 extensively and found it very hard to let go; however, the upgrades in the P3P are not only limited to the 4k quality of the camera which is significantly cleaner again, IPO. Here are the other advantages to enhance your film experience. The 3rd axis of the gimbal is far better than the Zenmuse. Very smooth and it reacts to the yaw input as well. The overall gimbal works better as well. The biggest advantage though is Light bridge with an HD down link. I found it very hard to frame a shot squinting at a white dot 300 meters away to imagine in my minds eye what I thought it was filming only to get home and be surprised the subject wasn't even in the shot. Having real time viewing via clean down link coupled with better gimbal, 3rd axis, 4k and way point set up to stage your flight allowing complete focus on the filming of the subject makes the P2 and P3P world's apart. With that said, I would recommend holding off for a couple months to see if a P4 comes out. The P3P came out in the USA in roughly May and earlier in the UK. Hopefully P4 will be out soon which will leap frog you forward 2 fold.

Reactions: Mario_SB
This is a delicate question to answer. The P3P is a huge leap forward in my personal opinion. I also used the P2 extensively and found it very hard to let go; however, the upgrades in the P3P are not only limited to the 4k quality of the camera which is significantly cleaner again, IPO. Here are the other advantages to enhance your film experience. The 3rd axis of the gimbal is far better than the Zenmuse. Very smooth and it reacts to the yaw input as well. The overall gimbal works better as well. The biggest advantage though is Light bridge with an HD down link. I found it very hard to frame a shot squinting at a white dot 300 meters away to imagine in my minds eye what I thought it was filming only to get home and be surprised the subject wasn't even in the shot. Having real time viewing via clean down link coupled with better gimbal, 3rd axis, 4k and way point set up to stage your flight allowing complete focus on the filming of the subject makes the P2 and P3P world's apart. With that said, I would recommend holding off for a couple months to see if a P4 comes out. The P3P came out in the USA in roughly May and earlier in the UK. Hopefully P4 will be out soon which will leap frog you forward 2 fold.

I agree. You sometimes forget you're up in the air when framing your still shots using the P3. It's incredibly stable, especially with zero wind. That stability and the sensation to be allowed to forget for a moment that your camera is actually flying while trying to make those small adjustments to your frame is incredible. Lightbridge and the fact that they merged that into the P3 is an incredible value.

thanks for your input guys, just to clarify though, i do have FPV, so i can frame shots ok, for me the main problem seems to be capture settings, render settings, and finding software that does everything i want, i just want high quality video that i can upload to youtube, then i will spend as much time as i need to to get better at editing etc

thanks for your input guys, just to clarify though, i do have FPV, so i can frame shots ok, for me the main problem seems to be capture settings, render settings, and finding software that does everything i want, i just want high quality video that i can upload to youtube, then i will spend as much time as i need to to get better at editing etc

Don't forget that sometimes YouTube downgrades your high quality stuff so it may not be entirely worth your time with seeking perfection.

Don't forget that sometimes YouTube downgrades your high quality stuff so it may not be entirely worth your time with seeking perfection.
yeah i know , but there are some superb videos on youtube , so it must be possible with the right settings

i have a macbook pro with 8gb too, and a windows 7 pc i7, 16gb , obviously the windows pc is faster, but its the actual quality at the end that I'm most concerned about

i have a macbook pro with 8gb too, and a windows 7 pc i7, 16gb , obviously the windows pc is faster, but its the actual quality at the end that I'm most concerned about

For one thing the H3-3D will make a big difference in stability compared to the H3-2D at is if can find one as most dealers only have the H4-3D in stock. I switch to a H3-3D and it does superb job of stabilizing footage and cheaper then switching to a P3.

Myself I do most of my editing between GoPro studio and After Effects. I also Premiere Pro for compiling footage for exporting to either YouTube or Vimeo.

Footage shot 4K @ 30fps can be slowed down in GoPro or Premiere Pro. I prefer slowing down footage in After Effects using Twixtor Pro. The one thing I do not use on any of GP cameras are ND filters and have no need to use them. Now it's a different story when shooting video with a DSLR where I have full control over there use. My GP 4 black lens has been changed to a 5.4mm f/2.5 60° lens which does a very good job without fisheye. Also have GP 3+ black with the same lens and a 3+ sliver with a stock lens.

At the present time I haven't any footage posted with GP 4 black as it's a new camera.

For one thing the H3-3D will make a big difference in stability compared to the H3-2D at is if can find one as most dealers only have the H4-3D in stock. I switch to a H3-3D and it does superb job of stabilizing footage and cheaper then switching to a P3.

Myself I do most of my editing between GoPro studio and After Effects. I also Premiere Pro for compiling footage for exporting to either YouTube or Vimeo.

Footage shot 4K @ 30fps can be slowed down in GoPro or Premiere Pro. I prefer slowing down footage in After Effects using Twixtor Pro. The one thing I do not use on any of GP cameras are ND filters and have no need to use them. Now it's a different story when shooting video with a DSLR where I have full control over there use. My GP 4 black lens has been changed to a 5.4mm f/2.5 60° lens which does a very good job without fisheye. Also have GP 3+ black with the same lens and a 3+ sliver with a stock lens.

At the present time I haven't any footage posted with GP 4 black as it's a new camera.
Thanks jason for the info, do you see a big hit on quality when you slow 4k video down?, i thought twixtor was for extreme slomo, im looking for maybe half speed, to get rid of the yaw movements, can i render all my work in GPS, then assemble a timeline in PP, and export untouched, is this possible ?

Thanks jason for the info, do you see a big hit on quality when you slow 4k video down?, i thought twixtor was for extreme slomo, im looking for maybe half speed, to get rid of the yaw movements, can i render all my work in GPS, then assemble a timeline in PP, and export untouched, is this possible ?

Check your personal messages (PM) as i have taken this conversation there.

Last edited:
Check your personal messages (PM) as i have taken this conversation there.
thanks a lot jason, I'm really liking the second video, with enhanced colour, I've had a bit play with my quad today, and had my best ever quality footage , and it plays with out the youtube stutter, its a rough edit as i just wanted to see what it was like quality wise, its in 4 k , but its only available at 1440, just now til youtube render it, i think it would be twice as good with a 3 d gimbal though

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20