Thinking of canceling my order.

Reaction score
All of these flyaways are scaring me off moving up to the P2V+. I've had a P1.1 for some time and have had many successful flights (knock on wood) Dave's Discount Motors says they are coming in this week and I am starting to think it's time to cancel. What a difficult decision.

steele9999 said:
All of these flyaways are scaring me off moving up to the P2V+. I've had a P1.1 for some time and have had many successful flights (knock on wood) Dave's Discount Motors says they are coming in this week and I am starting to think it's time to cancel. What a difficult decision.

Once I was considering asking out an extremely attractive lady who had recently become available. I was worried that she might not like me and leave. Glad I sat my fears aside, or I would have missed quite a thrill! ;)

With about 30 flights over the last month, I can say to myself, If I lose it I'd be pissed off, but that was the most fun I've had with $1300 standing up! :cool: And I have the videos to prove it.

I really don't understand why people are acting like this is new thing or a P2V+ thing. This happens with every model, and not just the DJI brand.

I'd like more significant data cited for these particular cases before coming to any conclusions:

- What mode were they in?
- Was the compass calibrated properly?
- Was the IMU calibrated?
- How many satellites did they have before they took off?
- Did they flip any switches during flight?
- Where were they flying?
- How far out were they flying?
- Were there any obstructions?
- Were there any towers nearby?

I appreciate the input from everyone. I'm looking at this as a camera platform primarily. I was looking forward to the P2V+'s stability and FPV so I could compose the shots. With my P1 it's a guestimate of what I'm getting and I have to wait to see my video afterward.

When I've flown my P1 It's always been within line of sight. In all the flights I only had one unintentional RTH and that put a scare into me. It's not fun to realize that you are not in control. I was relieved when I saw that it was coming my way.

Basically I have two expensive hobbies photography and guitars. I'm just trying to get past that one of my cameras or guitars could suddenly get a mind of it's own and just "flyaway".

I just got an update from Dave's Motors that they will be shipping on Friday so I have some time to contemplate my decision.

I work in the IT Tech field and try to avoid risks as much as I can. Having said that, I ordered my Vision+ on 4/25 from a local hobby shop and am still patiently (ok maybe not that patient) waiting for it to arrive. I'm not worried about the issues I've read lately around these birds because it is technology and it will be worked out. A lot of experienced flyers like "DirtyBird" have shown me that it's still a great product and worth the money. Keep the faith and fly that thing!
-beckham

This doesn't have to be a yes/no decision......you could elect to just wait for the dust to settle. You don't have to be an early adopter. You could sit awhile......you can see what others have been able to do with it, so from a camera platform there aren't many surprises. Wait, prices will settle, problems will settle, you can take advantage of all the free reliability testing. Life won't end on Saturday if it doesn't arrive on Friday.

Problems will settle?

I doubt it. There will always be user error issues. This isn't about being an early adopter or waiting for the dust to settle. The Vision platform is on its second revision. The FC has been out for quite a while on various platforms.

Tell ya what. I have enjoyed every minute with my P2V+. I've had few issues, but nothing crazy. I don't regret the purchase. The boards have been very supportive. I look at it this way. Most of my "hobbies" cost me $50/hour.

At $1369, I'd need just over 27 hours of flight time alone (not including prep/video watching/editing, etc) to get down to $50 per hour.

At 15 minutes per flight (I push it hard, but come home early), I'd need 108 flights to get to 27 hours. I just passed 50 flights, so I'm about 1/2 way to getting my money's worth. I've been thoroughly entertained just about every non-rainy day since I got the **** thing a month ago.

If its still flyable and in its hanger at my workbench in another 58 flights, I'll be satisfied. Any more, and its all gravy.

Realistically speaking, if it lasts me a full 6 months, I would spend $1369 twice a year to have one of these things, they are that cool. I hope its around for years to come, but to be honest, I'll probably be purchasing the Phantom 3 Super Plus or whatever come next.

Take it slow, read up on the boards and the manuals, learn all the modes in a big field, and buy a locator so you can have some "closure" if there is a flyaway. Relax, and enjoy.

I just took a few flights today in Manual Mode. Oooof. Like riding a unicycle, but do-able. I'm going to practice some more on my son's Phantom FC40 (no expensive gimbal to break, cheaper to replace). I changed my s1 switch to go into manual mode so if I ever do experience a flyaway, I can get it off GPS and have a shot at taking back control (I hope). My GPS locator is on order.

panhygrous pantler said:
Problems will settle?

I doubt it. There will always be user error issues. This isn't about being an early adopter or waiting for the dust to settle. The Vision platform is on its second revision. The FC has been out for quite a while on various platforms.
It seems like the most common problems being reported are P2V+ issues. There are common Phantom issues like bad chargers, but the black screen issue and gimbal issues are examples specific to this model.
The flyaway is the one that seems to get the most heat. Not sure what the issue is there.
I'm suggesting the P2V+ issues will get addressed (hopefully). You can already see the PROPWASH issue being addressed with the firmware update to reduce the descent rate. Not sure why that change wasn't an issue with earlier models too.
I have to hope DJI is working on fixing problems and not just focused on the next great thing.

Given the many that have been sold the percentage of problems is small and we dont know the reasons but you will in all probability get a guddan and have loads of fun flying with some nice video and wonder what the fuss was about.

Go for it m8 !!

;)

I agree with everyone here.. I said the day I lost mine that I would not buy another until this issue is resolved or at least figured out. But I really did love my P2V+ enough that I bought another :roll: This time I also bought GPS tracker and ordered label decals with my information on it.

To answer the questions:

What mode were they in? Naza-M mode
- Was the compass calibrated properly? Yes, before the flight
- Was the IMU calibrated? Yes
- How many satellites did they have before they took off? 7 upon take off, 11 after flying a bit
- Did they flip any switches during flight? only S1, to activate return home when I could not see it in the sun
- Where were they flying? Humboldt Park, Chicago
- How far out were they flying? 20 feet distance, between 675-700 feet up
- Were there any obstructions? Nothing but small trees for over half a mile
- Were there any towers nearby? There are towers everywhere in Chicago, but none in this park, which is 207 Acres
-Weather Conditions Sunny, winds steady around 12-16 mph

Funny how spoiled people get. Back in they day we would built an RC aircraft for 2 months. Take it out for its first flight and destroy it in 5 minutes. It was easily $1300 in todays money

midwestjeff said:
I agree with everyone here.. I said the day I lost mine that I would not buy another until this issue is resolved or at least figured out. But I really did love my P2V+ enough that I bought another :roll: This time I also bought GPS tracker and ordered label decals with my information on it.

To answer the questions:

What mode were they in? Naza-M mode
- Was the compass calibrated properly? Yes, before the flight
- Was the IMU calibrated? Yes
- How many satellites did they have before they took off? 7 upon take off, 11 after flying a bit
- Did they flip any switches during flight? only S1, to activate return home when I could not see it in the sun
- Where were they flying? Humboldt Park, Chicago
- How far out were they flying? 20 feet distance, between 675-700 feet up
- Were there any obstructions? Nothing but small trees for over half a mile
- Were there any towers nearby? There are towers everywhere in Chicago, but none in this park, which is 207 Acres
-Weather Conditions Sunny, winds steady around 12-16 mph

Thanks midwestjeff.

Did you experience the flyaway immediately after losing it in the sun and flipping the S1 switch? Did you see it in the sky anytime after that?

Also, keep in mind that a general "rule of thumb" is to try to always keep the sun behind you when flying RC aircraft, along with a recommended imaginary line behind where you are standing and keep the aircraft in front of that boundary.

tebowner said:
based on my experience - I feel the camera is not up to par ... for that reason I dont like it
Unless your a pro , I think the camera is great. If your a pro maybe you should get something that's more of a pro rig.
I think for most of Its a great camera. Anyone I show a video to can't believe how crisp and clear it is

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic