Thinking of buying a DJI Phantom 2 Vision Plus

Reaction score
I have some questions before I do that.

I've watched a lot of YouTube videos (reviews etc), read loads of comments/post on YouTube and this forum. I see a lot of talk about bad batteries, that they stop working after only 15-20 charges, and even if they show 90%, they could fly for just 1 min and then descend with red lights. People say the batteries sucks, other say they don't and the user just didn't handle them properly, like drain them first before recharging.

Then I hear about flyaways, but that seems to be a user error case in most cases as they didn't set things up properly. Then I read about them just dropping out of the sky where either the battery gave up even though it was fully charged and they had only been flying a couple of minutes, where others had the motors stop working (thin wires that broke from vibration I think I read).

And it goes on and on.... So I read that some of these issues were only in the earlier batches, and the latest have replaced and improved stuff like the motors. I read that one should make sure to get a model with a serial number of 640 (or something) and later, and also v2.1 ESCs (are ESC the motors?).

So, if I were to order one, what should I ask the retailer? I guess I should ask for the serial number, but is that on the box, or do they open the box up to check these numbers? I would think they wouldn't be OK with opening the boxes.... or maybe they would as it's probably not sealed or something special.

I've looked at a lot of different quads and this one has caught my interest. I want one with FPV, automatically going back to home when connection is broken (or I tell it to), automatic hovering in place, and a decent camera. They go for around $1300 here in Sweden, a bit too expensive for me, but I would go for it anyway. It's just I don't feel very safe after reading about all these issues. Any of you experienced quadpeople know of other more stable quads that you would recommend instead of this one? Or is this one OK as long as I get the latest versions?

I have flown a lot of quads with cameras, like Hubsan and Nine Eagles models, much tinier and cheaper than the Phantom 2 Vision +, but felt it was time to be more serious. So I would be very careful, read the manual thoroughly and do everything right every time, use a flight-check list etc. It's too expensive for me to take any chances/risks.

Also, all I have is an old iPhone 3GS with firmware 6.1.6. I checked the app in the store and could download and install it, and it runs, so I guess if I had the quad, it would work on it... but maybe its wifi is not good enough? Newer iPhone models would have longer range? (can't afford a newer phone though, rather buy this quad than a new phone).

Sorry for rambling...

Ironclaw said:
Also, all I have is an old iPhone 3GS with firmware 6.1.6. I checked the app in the store and could download and install it, and it runs, so I guess if I had the quad, it would work on it... but maybe its wifi is not good enough? Newer iPhone models would have longer range? (can't afford a newer phone though, rather buy this quad than a new phone).

Sorry for rambling...
Phone range does not matter, it only has to go less than I foot to connect to Wi-Fi extender. The extender is what connects to the Phantom.

Just went through the same process. Started reading about the phantom a little before I joined here and decided I really wanted one originally just to fly but then once I saw the FPV I knew I needed a camera. From there I thought the vision would work and then I compared it to the vision + and well now I have a P2V+V3 that was just delivered yesterday. Haven't flown it but I have gone through all the firmware updates and calibration.

I also had considered other options but to me the phantoms are the ones everybody compares to for a reason. There's a strong support network and ample spare parts available if needed. Plus from the forums I've determined that UAVrepairshop is a short drive from where I live if something really bad happens.

My biggest worry is a fly away so I've ordered the sticker kit with my phone number just in case and I'll maintain LOS to minimize risk. At some point I may look into a tracker or flytrex but I want to learn the system before I add more money to it.

I've found this site very helpful for my research and https://www.phantomhelp.com very helpful for their links. Good luck.

Ironclaw said:

Sorry for rambling...

The iPhone 3G won't be fast enough to keep up. You will need at least an iPhone 4s or later. The video lag will make it unusable for FPV. Even my old 5 was ok, but the later phone with the faster processors are the way to go.

Also, the ESCs are Electronic Speed Controllers which vary the power going to the motors.

My biggest fear was the flyaway as well so I labeled my P2V+ and bought this: http://www.amazon.com/Tracker-Rf-v16-Re ... ker+RF-v16

Basically the RV-F16. You can find them cheaper on ebay. You just run down to your local cellular provider and purchase a $10 sim card and put about $10 bucks on there prepaid. Anytime you need to locate the bird you can txt the phone # they assigned to the Sim and it will send back Google Map location. The device has a dedicated GPS Chip in it so its very accurate. However if it's up in a tree and you get close to it but don't see it you can call the phone # and it will emit a very high pitched ring tone to help draw you in.

I personally went with the DJI PHantom as well for a lot of the same reasons Apparition did. . The vast community of support and spare parts, and members like Burlbark here who can repair a lot of issues inexpensively and quickly.

Best of luck with your decision.

AHill said:
Phone range does not matter, it only has to go less than I foot to connect to Wi-Fi extender. The extender is what connects to the Phantom.
Aha, OK, thanks. Unfortunately it will not be enough with my phone anyway as it's too slow to handle FPV according to happydays. Too bad these phones are so expensive.

dysan911 said:
My biggest fear was the flyaway as well so I labeled my P2V+ and bought this: http://www.amazon.com/Tracker-Rf-v16-Re ... ker+RF-v16

Basically the RV-F16. You can find them cheaper on ebay. You just run down to your local cellular provider and purchase a $10 sim card and put about $10 bucks on there prepaid. Anytime you need to locate the bird you can txt the phone # they assigned to the Sim and it will send back Google Map location. The device has a dedicated GPS Chip in it so its very accurate. However if it's up in a tree and you get close to it but don't see it you can call the phone # and it will emit a very high pitched ring tone to help draw you in.

I personally went with the DJI PHantom as well for a lot of the same reasons Apparition did. . The vast community of support and spare parts, and members like Burlbark here who can repair a lot of issues inexpensively and quickly.

Best of luck with your decision.
I will definitely get some sort of tracking for it. Seen different ones and will decide which one to go for once/if I order a Phantom.

Indeed, there seems to be a very nice community for this quad, so getting help from experts doesn't take long. Read some people had bent/broken cameras which they were suggested to send to a couple of members here to have them fixed (hopefully for a good price). Good thing to start getting one of those these days as the support when they were released wasn't that great I guess. Also nice to see special parts being spöd to help protecting the camera and stuff.

I checked one of the sites I might be ordering mine from, but there are two versions. What are the differences between: (other than the price)

DJI Phantom 2 Vision+ RTF Drone https://www.komplett.se/dji-phantom-2-v ... one/814385
DJI Phantom Vision 2 Plus RTF V3.0 https://www.komplett.se/dji-phantom-vis ... v30/830373

I read similar concerns before buying mine (I'm a complete newbie to the hobby). I've not had a single issue in 3 months. The P2V+ is certainly easy to fly out of the box, but if it loses GPS and drops into ATTI mode you need to be able to fly it yourself- easy, but be aware. Also if it (for any reason) decides that HOME is somewhere else, it will ignore your instructions and fly there, even in ATTI mode. Only if you have enabled MANUAL mode can you override it's desire to return home. This may or may not be the cause of flyaways.

This forum is an excellent source of valuable information I've found - thanks to all here.

There's an excellent PDF on this forum - read it before you fly, if not before you buy. viewtopic.php?f=39&t=23597

I did use an iphone 3GS for a while, and the lag time is really bad. You turn the drone, and sometime quite a bit later the image on the iphone shows the new area that you've turned towards. Not good.

Never mind my question about the differences between the two Phantoms in the links above. I will not order from Sweden, I'll order from the DJI store as I get an extra battery and free shipping. I would save 300 euro by ordering it from them instead http://store.dji.com/product/phantom-2- ... #/overview

Just not sure quite yet what to do, as I can't afford a new phone, and without a newer phone the FPV will not be usable.

So these models on their site is the new and correct ones, right? No more faulty ones being sold?

You could get a cheap Android phone or tablet for FPV. Much cheaper than forking out for a new iPhone.

Mmm, Androids seem to be cheaper, but I'm no fan of Androids, and I'm thinking of starting coding games for iOS again (did years ago), so need an iPhone. Also, needs to fit in my pocket so can't be a tablet :)

RhythMick said:
if it (for any reason) decides that HOME is somewhere else, it will ignore your instructions and fly there, even in ATTI mode. Only if you have enabled MANUAL mode can you override it's desire to return home. This may or may not be the cause of flyaways.
This doesn't quite add up.
If your Phantom was thinking it was returning to home (whether home is correctly recorded or not) you can take over control by flicking the S1 switch down and back - in any mode.
Failure to respond would indicate that the Phantom has lost connection and in that case switching to manual mode won't have any effect either.

Meta4 said:
RhythMick said:
if it (for any reason) decides that HOME is somewhere else, it will ignore your instructions and fly there, even in ATTI mode. Only if you have enabled MANUAL mode can you override it's desire to return home. This may or may not be the cause of flyaways.
This doesn't quite add up.
If your Phantom was thinking it was returning to home (whether home is correctly recorded or not) you can take over control by flicking the S1 switch down and back - in any mode.
Failure to respond would indicate that the Phantom has lost connection and in that case switching to manual mode won't have any effect either.
Ouch, so if it decides to go home (and home is somewhere else, maybe far away from the user) but is out of connection range, the user is screwed? (I know this is what you implied, but wanted to confirm it anyway).

So, one needs to recalibrate the... compass(?) every time one moves to a new location so the Phantom knows where to go if it returns home? Or is it when it's turned on (while on the ground of course) it sets its location to home?

Ironclaw, per the DJI manual, you should calibrate the compass when flying in new locations. Here is a good thread on this topic:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=32829

Ironclaw said:
Just not sure quite yet what to do, as I can't afford a new phone, and without a newer phone the FPV will not be usable.
Can't think of a better reason to do as some suggest and take the camera/gimbal off while you learn to fly(and wait for a newer phone).

Apparition said:
Ironclaw said:
Can't think of a better reason to do as some suggest and take the camera/gimbal off while you learn to fly(and wait for a newer phone).
Yup

Just ordered a new iPhone. Was gonna go with iPhone 5s as the 5 and 5c were slower, and it's the cpu/gpu that is most important (5s has even 64bit whereas the other two don't). Here in Sweden an iPhone 5s cost about 500 euros, but noticed the new iPhone 6 cost about 100 euros more and according to the info I found on the internet, the iPhone 6's CPU is about 50 times faster than the one on the 5s, and the GPU is about 84 times faster (edit, another place says this is compared to the FIRST generation of iPhone, not 5s..... makes more sense). What a difference! So, went with the iPhone 6.

Now, the problem is I can't afford to pay the 1100 euro for a Phantom without doing it through a payment plan (installment, I think it's called as well), and the DJI store doesn't allow payment plans, so I have to get one from Sweden (where I live), which costs 300 euros more.

Which makes one of my earlier questions in need of an answer again (as I didn't get one):

What are the differences between: (other than the price)

DJI Phantom 2 Vision+ RTF Drone https://www.komplett.se/dji-phantom-2-v ... one/814385
DJI Phantom Vision 2 Plus RTF V3.0 https://www.komplett.se/dji-phantom-vis ... v30/830373

bbfpv said:
I did of course search, but the comparison in that thread is between 2.0 and 3.0, I didn't know the one I linked not marked with 3.0 was a 2.0.

Thanks.

edit: says 3.0 has ESC 2.0... it's 2.1 I need, right? http://djiphantom2vision-plus.com/dji-p ... rsus-v3-0/ So I guess 3.0, later models comes with 2.1 instead? So I need to ask the seller what version it has on the ESC? How can they check? They need to open the box and maybe the copter? Don't think they do that.

if you're buying one now, it's probably safe to assume its got 2.1's considering how quickly they're selling. but to be safe you can shine a light into the leg vents and examine the cap on the esc board in the other leg... yellow dot, good to go. there's a post somewhere with more detail, but i don't feel like searching for it right now. GL!

I feel like I need to gather the details on how they check the version on it (just in case they don't know how to look it up). OK, so I sort of know how to tell if it's 2.1, by a yellow dot (need to find the post). I should probably also know the serial number of the copter, which I read should be at least 640 to be sure it's the newer model (am I right in 640+?). Then I read about the batteries which had to be named PH2 and not DJI, as the older version batteries had flaws.

So, am I right in these assumptions? Any advice?

edit: one person here has 2.0 motor with yellow mark on it viewtopic.php?f=27&t=32368&hilit=yellow+dot&start=700#p333038

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4