Thinking About Getting Into This Hobby

Reaction score
I'm in law enforcement, specifically in the training area of law enforcement, and I purchased a GoPro Hero 3+ Silver to work on a project for work and to have for fun stuff at home and on vacation. I love the thing and my boss really liked it enough to the point they got me two GoPros and put me in charge of filming stuff for training.

Now I'm interested in a quadcopter, but I don't know what I should get. I do know I want FPV.

I don't want to sink more than I have to into this potentially new hobby, and I'm going to have to sell a collectable shotgun to raise the cash to get into a Phantom. So my big question is which one should I get? Also, can I get the Phantom 2 Vision and add my GoPro to it so I could get FPV and the great video from the GoPro?

Thanks!

If your going the GoPro angle (and wanting good FPV) probably best to just get P2 with good Zenmuse gimbal, FPV setup etc ..... little more knobbing about to setup, but most will tell you results for FPV are better many here moved from Visions to straight P2's with FPV setups

Thanks for the suggestion. What all am I looking at to get a FPV from the GoPro?

Thanks for the suggestion. What all am I looking at to get a FPV from the GoPro?

GLOCKer said:

1. Video Transmitter
2. On-Screen Display (optional)
3. Video Receiver
4. Screen or goggles
5. Cabling for all of the above, including power and signal leads.

That's the basic list, and many options exist for each of them. If you find it easier (and it definitely can be) to stay in the DJI ecosystem, they have options for all of those except the display/goggles.

Here's a great resource to check out with info and many non-DJI options: http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index. ... af5cc2e9ed

5.8GHz systems are probably the most popular, but other ones may fit your needs etc better.

GLOCKer said:

I have P2 Vision so might let someone else whose running P2 FPV to comment for you .... as are many config options

Search the forum here as are many threads such as this - http://phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4906

perfect OI Photography is exactly one of the crew I hoped would see your post .... whom has answered :)

After looking over this stuff for a little bit, I think I'm going to get the Phantom 2 Vision. The video resolution is just fine for my needs, and it looks like it'll come in cheaper than if I build up a FPV system for the GoPro.

GLOCKer said:
After looking over this stuff for a little bit, I think I'm going to get the Phantom 2 Vision. The video resolution is just fine for my needs, and it looks like it'll come in cheaper than if I build up a FPV system for the GoPro.

If your going to be using it for law enforcement purposes, i would have a look at the legalities of that wherever you are located before going and purchasing it.

The price is about the same if adding fpv to a P2 .
My problem with the P2V is it flys on 5.8 witch is weak and the cam is not all that great . Their is a reason a lot of guys switched from a P2V to a P2 H3-2D . Just take some more time and do some more research before you buy and it has to be hard giving up a gun for a RC I fill your pain on that .
GL!

Coming from the UK, that sounds really strange- a law enforcement officer selling a shotgun to buy a toy helicopter :eek:

Another idea into the mix- get a P1 v1.1.1. Fit your GoPro on the supplied gimbal then go through the learning curve on the cheap.
When all the mistakes have been made and you are ready to upgrade, you will be better informed on the right way forward.

Sell on the P1 or keep it as a source of spares.

I would recommend this route:

http://www.helipal.com/dji-flamewheel-f550-w-naza-v2-gps-drone-rtf.html

You'll need to include iOSD $69 and FPV $329. It will all come assembled and tested for your.

The easiest way to get started in my opinion. The shipping is pricy but you'll have it within 4 days once they ship it.

You can get your gimbal from some other source since I don't see that they carry it any longer but if they do, get it from there also. I will say their radio is okay but I eventually changed it for a Spektrum Radio. Good Luck!

Fangs! That looks nice! But it'll be out of my price range and battery range!

I have pretty much raised the money for a Phantom, and hopefully I'll be able to go shopping this week for one. There is a retailer near here that advertises themselves as the worlds largest retailer of drone type hobby aircraft with at 12000 sq ft showroom. I emailed them a question and they basically replied that I need to get my rear in their store and fly one of these!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic