Thin Black Ribbon Cable

Reaction score
My camera detached from the horizontal motor housing during transport and tore the flat black data cable. I had the camera clamp in place, had it in a tradecraft case that cost me $250. So frustrated. I don't think I can purchase that cable, let alone attempt to install it. I took it apart to remove the damaged ribbon, and it wasn't exactly super easy. Thoughts? Am I about to spend $700 on a new gimbal/camera?

I wonder if all our cameras will suffer this fate sooner or later? I religiously replace the gimbal clamp whenever it is in the box, and handle the craft with such care otherwise. Just worries me.

N/A part for sure. And I took one apart as well. Looks about impossible to replace. I never did figure out how to deattach if from main board. I think it might be secured with adhesive.

I did manage to detach it. I do think it's going to be highly unlikely I'll be able to put a new one in. I ordered a new camera/gimbal replacement, to be shipped overnight. I was left with little choice... so sad.

So out of curiosity was the ribbon glued at the mainboard? Where I assumed it would go into what looked like a connector would not budge. Seems they used glue everywhere.

In the tradecraft case?
Did you take yours on the plane? If so, as carry on or check in?

Where did you buy it from? Did you check on having it repaired? DJI fixed mine for free after a crash but mine was purchased directly from DJI.

The ribbon wasn't glued on the mainboard. I used needlenose pliers to gently pull it out.

I checked it... I was travelling with my two daughters and two carry on bags already, I couldn't tackle the tradecraft case as well.

I ordered it from Empire Hobby.

andrew said:
The ribbon wasn't glued on the mainboard. I used needlenose pliers to gently pull it out.

I checked it... I was travelling with my two daughters and two carry on bags already, I couldn't tackle the tradecraft case as well.

I ordered it from Empire Hobby.

The tradecraft case is waterproof and may have a seal that you are meant to release when travelling on planes.
The change in altitude can cause expansion on take off and compression on landing depending on altitude. This may of "crushed" the phantom and dislodged the camera.

There was 2 other cases (excuse the pun) on this forum.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=18827&hilit=tradecraft

Hi Mako, I did remove the o-ring behind the right latch. I believe thats what was required to equalize the air pressure, but I could be wrong.

andrew said:
I did manage to detach it. I do think it's going to be highly unlikely I'll be able to put a new one in. I ordered a new camera/gimbal replacement, to be shipped overnight. I was left with little choice... so sad.

Wait let me get this straight so I am on the same page. The USB ribbon on your H3-3D gimbal tore, so you had to buy a new one!? Mine just did too but I have the extra one they ship the gimbal with. Furthermore, they sell it on this site.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1 ... e_for.html

helishmeli said:
andrew said:

Wait let me get this straight so I am on the same page. The USB ribbon on your H3-3D gimbal tore, so you had to buy a new one!? Mine just did too but I have the extra one they ship the gimbal with. Furthermore, they sell it on this site.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1 ... e_for.html

No not H3-3D, the Vision+ gimbal. Different cable.

How did yours detach during transport with the gimbal clamp on? Did the clamp come loose?

I noticed that the box my P2V+ shipped in, when the phantom is placed in the box, the gimbal platform rests on a raised area in the center so that all four corners of the vibration dampers lift up slightly. This prevents the whole thing from bouncing up and down during transport and the tight space the camera sits in would keep the gimbal clamp from sliding sideways and coming off.

The gimbal clamp keeps the gimbal motors from rotating, but it rests against the bottom of the gimbal mount, not the body of the phantom so it can't keep the whole gimbal from bouncing or rocking on the vibration dampers.

I also notice that most of the aftermarket transport cases do not have this raised area in the center to support the vibration dampers. So not only can the whole assembly bounce up and down on the dampers, but it can rock side to side and the clamp could come off.

Attachments

• IMG_0161 - Copy (640x480) (3).jpg
    IMG_0161 - Copy (640x480) (3).jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 557
I can't say for sure what happened, but the clamp was laying at the bottom of the case. I have to assume the clamp slipped off which left the camera to bounce around... I'm pretty upset about the event, a $5 ribbon cable is costing me $700. I prepared a lot for this trip, saran wrspped batteries, put them in lipo bags, bouggt an expensive, rugged case, put the gimbal clamp and lens cover on. I did everything I knew how to do through research. I tried to overnight a new one, but no stock in Canada. So much for taking any aerial footage in beautiful Northern Ontario on this vacation. (Insert swear word here)

andrew said:
I can't say for sure what happened, but the clamp was laying at the bottom of the case. I have to assume the clamp slipped off which left the camera to bounce around... I'm pretty upset about the event, a $5 ribbon cable is costing me $700. I prepared a lot for this trip, saran wrspped batteries, put them in lipo bags, bouggt an expensive, rugged case, put the gimbal clamp and lens cover on. I did everything I knew how to do through research. I tried to overnight a new one, but no stock in Canada. So much for taking any aerial footage in beautiful Northern Ontario on this vacation. (Insert swear word here)

I feel for you. I hate it when you prepare for the worst and **** still happens.

I guess in future, use a rubber band around the clamp or some padding to stop the clamp from dislodging.

Definitely sound advice... I wish I had the original box, I would pull out the gimbal and camera packaging and insert it into my tradecraft case. I'll try and figure something out.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers