They took my Phantom 2 boarding a Disney Cruise

freyjoel said:
If I was checking into a Disney hotel and they told me I can't enter (with no prior notice) Disney property because I have a UAV in my suitcase, I would not turn over my uav. I would not stay there and demand all deposit monies back. Having a uav in your suitcase while boarding a ship or checking into a hotel does not mean I intend to fly it on said ship or hotel property. Disney ships travel to non-Disney ports also where he has a legitimate "non-Disney" place to fly. Using the excuse "it may hurt someone" is silly. The cutlery in the dining rooms "could hurt someone also". I plan to travel extensively with my uav. Any hotel that makes up an "on-the-spot" rule about having a uav in my suitcase will lose my business and will not get to keep deposit money I assure you of that.

You would be surprised at the compensation that tour operators often hand out for "misunderstandings and inconveniences". If you are too timid to seek it, then don't. My friends and family have been shocked how at the end of a trip on more than one occasion I have walked away with a sizable chunk of cash for less significant things.
You can also walk into the hotel with a bottle of vodka or a permitted handgun in your suitcase, but you can't do that on a cruise. I'm not diagreeing with you and I think it's dumb that there is a possibility they won't allow it. But when you enter a theme park or a cruise ship, or a stadium where thousands or tens of thousands of people are in close proximity, you do it on their terms, and I get why they may be hesitant. The happy medium may be that you can bring it onboard with the agreement that you will not fly it while aboard. As I said, I'm surprised that there isn't a stated policy somewhere (and maybe there is) with how prevalent these things are becoming.

Exactly. I'm sure that a handgun and alcohol (within limits) are expressly prohibited...unlike these "mysterious evil drones" that we fly. It's the unwritten rule that I'm not fond of. Likely well within their rights but it would irk me enough to ask for some compensation.

freyjoel said:
Exactly. I'm sure that a handgun and alcohol (within limits) are expressly prohibited...unlike these "mysterious evil drones" that we fly. It's the unwritten rule that I'm not fond of. Likely well within their rights but it would irk me enough to ask for some compensation.

Would you have contacted them before booking the cruise to see if it was something that might not be allowed as part of their blanket policy regarding even unspecified potential safety issues?

freyjoel said:
If I was checking into a Disney hotel and they told me I can't enter (with no prior notice) Disney property because I have a UAV in my suitcase, I would not turn over my uav. I would not stay there and demand all deposit monies back. Having a uav in your suitcase while boarding a ship or checking into a hotel does not mean I intend to fly it on said ship or hotel property. Disney ships travel to non-Disney ports also where he has a legitimate "non-Disney" place to fly. Using the excuse "it may hurt someone" is silly. The cutlery in the dining rooms "could hurt someone also". I plan to travel extensively with my uav. Any hotel that makes up an "on-the-spot" rule about having a uav in my suitcase will lose my business and will not get to keep deposit money I assure you of that.

You would be surprised at the compensation that tour operators often hand out for "misunderstandings and inconveniences". If you are too timid to seek it, then don't. My friends and family have been shocked how at the end of a trip on more than one occasion I have walked away with a sizable chunk of cash for less significant things.

Surely you're not comparing a device with four spinning propellors to a dinner knife :)

I also find it interesting you're so proud of the fact you frequently walk away with a "sizable chunk of cash for less significant things". To be honest that's a pretty shameful thing to be proud of... You're obviously one of those people that make a big deal out of nothing, often causing a scene and demanding compensation because one of the staff looked at you wrong (or some other petty grievance)...

Nah...I do it quietly. No need to cause a scene. Loud and confrontational doesn't work. Here is a partial list. I travel a lot.
1. Bedbugs...checked into a well known Vegas hotel. Found bedbugs upon inspecting the bed. Informed management. They took my bags, gave me new luggage from one of the hotel shops, let me pick out some new clothes, and took $500 off the bill.
2. Mechanical breakdown. Rented a houseboat for a week. The fridge quit on day 5. Took our small boat back to the marina and loaded up on ice. Informed management at the end of the trip and they took $2k off the bill. I would have been happy with a few hundred for the inconvenience but when they offered $2k, I wasn't going to turn it down.
3. Bed selection. Booked a room with a king bed at a carribean resort. Got there and they only had a room available with 2 queens. POLITELY let them know I wasn't thrilled with the situation and they took 2 nights ($750 a night) off our week stay.
These are just a few examples. Doesn't include numerous delayed flights over the years (mechanical, not weather related) where you MUST ASK for compensation. Don't ask...you get NOTHING. By asking I've gotten free hotel rooms, food vouchers, upgrades, and money.

You can feel shame all you like. Doesn't bother me in the least to ask when I drop $5k to $15k on a vacay I expect a certain level of satisfaction and I do it politely and to the side with a manager. What a stupid assumption on your part as you say "because the staff looked at me wrong". Wow...who pissed in your corn flakes this morning?

Disney cruises are EXPENSIVE and Disney is "usually" pretty customer oriented. Informing them you're not too happy with having your uav seized and seeing if they offer up compensation is worth a shot in my opinion. I would have NICELY spoken to a manager at the port. If that didn't work I would call the Disney customer service line at the end of the trip, explain the situation, and see what they offer up, if anything. Like I said, some people are too timid to ask...to each his own.

Guess I need to rethink my decision to bring a drone onto an airplane as a carryon because these 4 spinning plastic blades of death might unleash themselves from the suitcase and wreak havoc at 36,000ft? LOL. Which goes to show, many people have been bringing drones through security and onto planes...good luck trying to do that with a knife.

OI Photography said:
freyjoel said:

Would you have contacted them before booking the cruise to see if it was something that might not be allowed as part of their blanket policy regarding even unspecified potential safety issues?

I would now after reading what happened. I would never have thought it would be an issue before. I TOTALLY understand not being allowed to fly it around the ship or at the port but it bothers me a little to think it can't be packed along for use at your destination. I will certainly factor that into whether or not I were to take a cruise and with what line if I felt a strong desire to have my P2 at my destination.

ianwood said:
If it was a helicopter 10 years ago, it still wouldn't be allowed at any Disney property. Try this for an experiment, go to any Disney location and try to fire up your Phantom. It'll be about 3 milliseconds before 3 smiling but assertive cast members materialize out of thin air and very politely ask you to stop. They don't mess around with anything that will put guests at risk. You can call them up and demand money but you really should be asking yourself which side of reality you are on.

I actually took my Phantom 1 to the Disney Resorts last year, flew over the Grand Floridian and a couple of Disney resorts we stayed at. Got some great shots before the park opened... but haven't posted the video up yet. Did it in the wee hours of the morning so never met any resistance. Then when we got back home and I found out about Disney's no fly zone... :lol: Would have flown closer to the Magic Kingdom but being the P1, didn't have enough gas to fly across the lake and make it back safely.

freyjoel said:
Nah...I do it quietly. No need to cause a scene. Loud and confrontational doesn't work. Here is a partial list. I travel a lot.
1. Bedbugs...checked into a well known Vegas hotel. Found bedbugs upon inspecting the bed. Informed management. They took my bags, gave me new luggage from one of the hotel shops, let me pick out some new clothes, and took $500 off the bill.
2. Mechanical breakdown. Rented a houseboat for a week. The fridge quit on day 5. Took our small boat back to the marina and loaded up on ice. Informed management at the end of the trip and they took $2k off the bill. I would have been happy with a few hundred for the inconvenience but when they offered $2k, I wasn't going to turn it down.
3. Bed selection. Booked a room with a king bed at a carribean resort. Got there and they only had a room available with 2 queens. POLITELY let them know I wasn't thrilled with the situation and they took 2 nights ($750 a night) off our week stay.
These are just a few examples. Doesn't include numerous delayed flights over the years (mechanical, not weather related) where you MUST ASK for compensation. Don't ask...you get NOTHING. By asking I've gotten free hotel rooms, food vouchers, upgrades, and money.

You can feel shame all you like. Doesn't bother me in the least to ask when I drop $5k to $15k on a vacay I expect a certain level of satisfaction and I do it politely and to the side with a manager. What a stupid assumption on your part as you say "because the staff looked at me wrong". Wow...who pissed in your corn flakes this morning?

Disney cruises are EXPENSIVE and Disney is "usually" pretty customer oriented. Informing them you're not too happy with having your uav seized and seeing if they offer up compensation is worth a shot in my opinion. I would have NICELY spoken to a manager at the port. If that didn't work I would call the Disney customer service line at the end of the trip, explain the situation, and see what they offer up, if anything. Like I said, some people are too timid to ask...to each his own.

Guess I need to rethink my decision to bring a drone onto an airplane as a carryon because these 4 spinning plastic blades of death might unleash themselves from the suitcase and wreak havoc at 36,000ft? LOL. Which goes to show, many people have been bringing drones through security and onto planes...good luck trying to do that with a knife.

Bedbugs and mechanical failures I would hardly consider "misunderstandings and inconveniences", per your original post.

Hmm. I intend to do a non-Disney cruise this summer. I will have to fool the X-ray machine by wrapping the P2 in tinfoil and changing the shape ... Might work.

freyjoel said:

LOL
Your comparing Apples to Oranges. He tried to take X onboard the ship. They said no, they do the same thing when you try and sneak on booze. What is he going to get compensated for??? They probably have something written somewhere that bands them at their discretion. What I would have done is emailed or called before I left for the trip to see if I was allowed to bring it onboard, before hauling it down there.

Submariner said:
Hmm. I intend to do a non-Disney cruise this summer. I will have to fool the X-ray machine by wrapping the P2 in tinfoil and changing the shape ... Might work.

Don't try and "Sneak" anything on board………..thats when they get really pissed off ;)

FASTFJR said:
freyjoel said:

LOL
Your comparing Apples to Oranges. He tried to take X onboard the ship. They said no, they do the same thing when you try and sneak on booze. What is he going to get compensated for??? They probably have something written somewhere that bands them at their discretion. What I would have done is emailed or called before I left for the trip to see if I was allowed to bring it onboard, before hauling it down there.

Booze is expressly disallowed. So if some screener (or flight attendant for that matter) at the airport decides HE doesn't want your drone onboard (although there is no know rule against it other than "because I say so") you're OK with that? Jeez, you guys roll over pretty easily.

Disney Cruise Lines contract that all guests are obliged to.

'37. The Guest, in the interests of international security and safety at sea and in the interests of the convenience of others, agrees and hereby consents to a reasonable search being made of the Guest's person, property, and stateroom and to the removal and confiscation or destruction of any object which may, in the opinion of the Carrier or the Master, impair safety, inconvenience others or violate Carrier rules and regulations. '

Also, they may know that the 'drone' is powered by lipos, and lipos tend to explode according to the hype.

'33. Except in the sole discretion of the Carrier, no pets or other animals are allowed on board the Vessel. Guest may not possess firearms, explosives, flammable materials, other hazardous goods or non-prescription controlled substances. Such shall be surrendered to the Master at embarkation. In any circumstances and in the Master's sole discretion, any item deemed inappropriate may be refused on board the Vessel or confiscated, destroyed or surrendered to authorities. Guest shall have no claim for loss, damage or inconvenience thereby incurred.'

With being in international waters, they have to basically observe all laws, all time.

More from their site...

Prohibited Items
Q: What items are not permitted on board?
A:
In order to maintain a safe and secure environment for our Guests and crew, the following are examples of items that Guests are not allowed to bring on board. These and other similar items will be confiscated upon being found.

Weapons and firearms (including ammunition, knives—including dive knives—swords, daggers or any other types of weapons) are not allowed onboard under any circumstances
Realistic replicas of firearms and weapons
Highly flammable liquids and combustible substances
Non prescribed controlled substances, illegal drugs, medically prescribed and synthetic marijuana
Hookah pipes
Power Tools and Tool boxes (except those tools of the trade utilized by vendors providing services)
Sporting equipment (i.e., baseball and cricket bats, hockey and lacrosse sticks, pool cues, ski poles, fishing gear and archery equipment.)
SCUBA equipment (i.e., tanks, spears guns /slings, dive knives, pry bar, and underwater scooter)
Kites, balloons, surfboards, wave boards, inflatable floats/pools (including pool noodles), and wagons
Bicycles, Segways, skateboards, inline & roller skates, any footwear with wheels, (i.e. Heely's type shoes)
Electrical appliances such as rice cookers, hot plates, coffee makers, electric irons, bottle sterilizer and bottle warmers, electric blankets, electric blenders, etc. Please note: A limited number of approved bottle warmers and bottle sterilizers are available upon request through Guest Services. Also all ships offer laundry facilities with irons and ironing boards. Valet laundry service is also available for a nominal fee.
Candles & Incense
DVD, VCR, or Blu ray players or, Playstation, Xbox, and Nintendo Wii gaming systems are not allowed because of compatibility issues with the stateroom TVs
Musical instruments
Large Ice Coolers (Please note: small, personal-sized coolers, no larger than 12" x 12" x 12" brought onboard for the purpose of housing medications are permitted as carry-on luggage.)
Homemade, pre-cooked or other perishable food items plus any open snack containers
Metal detectors are not allowed on the ship or on Castaway Cay, as any object found using thesedevices would need to be returned to the owner or donated to charity
Personal fireworks or pyrotechnics
Seasonal and celebratory lighting strings
Liquid oxygen
Extension cords
Surge Protectors

Cr8tive_leo said:
Disney Cruise Lines contract that all guests are obliged to.

'37. The Guest, in the interests of international security and safety at sea and in the interests of the convenience of others, agrees and hereby consents to a reasonable search being made of the Guest's person, property, and stateroom and to the removal and confiscation or destruction of any object which may, in the opinion of the Carrier or the Master, impair safety, inconvenience others or violate Carrier rules and regulations. '

Also, they may know that the 'drone' is powered by lipos, and lipos tend to explode according to the hype.

'33. Except in the sole discretion of the Carrier, no pets or other animals are allowed on board the Vessel. Guest may not possess firearms, explosives, flammable materials, other hazardous goods or non-prescription controlled substances. Such shall be surrendered to the Master at embarkation. In any circumstances and in the Master's sole discretion, any item deemed inappropriate may be refused on board the Vessel or confiscated, destroyed or surrendered to authorities. Guest shall have no claim for loss, damage or inconvenience thereby incurred.'

With being in international waters, they have to basically observe all laws, all time.

More from their site...

Prohibited Items
Q: What items are not permitted on board?
A:
In order to maintain a safe and secure environment for our Guests and crew, the following are examples of items that Guests are not allowed to bring on board. These and other similar items will be confiscated upon being found.

Weapons and firearms (including ammunition, knives—including dive knives—swords, daggers or any other types of weapons) are not allowed onboard under any circumstances
Realistic replicas of firearms and weapons
Highly flammable liquids and combustible substances
Non prescribed controlled substances, illegal drugs, medically prescribed and synthetic marijuana
Hookah pipes
Power Tools and Tool boxes (except those tools of the trade utilized by vendors providing services)
Sporting equipment (i.e., baseball and cricket bats, hockey and lacrosse sticks, pool cues, ski poles, fishing gear and archery equipment.)
SCUBA equipment (i.e., tanks, spears guns /slings, dive knives, pry bar, and underwater scooter)
Kites, balloons, surfboards, wave boards, inflatable floats/pools (including pool noodles), and wagons
Bicycles, Segways, skateboards, inline & roller skates, any footwear with wheels, (i.e. Heely's type shoes)
Electrical appliances such as rice cookers, hot plates, coffee makers, electric irons, bottle sterilizer and bottle warmers, electric blankets, electric blenders, etc. Please note: A limited number of approved bottle warmers and bottle sterilizers are available upon request through Guest Services. Also all ships offer laundry facilities with irons and ironing boards. Valet laundry service is also available for a nominal fee.
Candles & Incense
DVD, VCR, or Blu ray players or, Playstation, Xbox, and Nintendo Wii gaming systems are not allowed because of compatibility issues with the stateroom TVs
Musical instruments
Large Ice Coolers (Please note: small, personal-sized coolers, no larger than 12" x 12" x 12" brought onboard for the purpose of housing medications are permitted as carry-on luggage.)
Homemade, pre-cooked or other perishable food items plus any open snack containers
Metal detectors are not allowed on the ship or on Castaway Cay, as any object found using thesedevices would need to be returned to the owner or donated to charity
Personal fireworks or pyrotechnics
Seasonal and celebratory lighting strings
Liquid oxygen
Extension cords
Surge Protectors

Good work! Looks like only a matter of time before uav's are added.

freyjoel said:
FASTFJR said:
freyjoel said:
Booze is expressly disallowed. So if some screener (or flight attendant for that matter) at the airport decides HE doesn't want your drone onboard (although there is no know rule against it other than "because I say so") you're OK with that? Jeez, you guys roll over pretty easily.

I really could care less, the cruise lines are what they are, take or leave it. And by the way I take extension cords and surge protectors on every cruise (NCL) :D

FASTFJR said:
freyjoel said:
[/quote]

I really could care less, the cruise lines are what they are, take or leave it. And by the way I take extension cords and surge protectors on every cruise (NCL) :D[/quote]

Living on the edge, eh!

Submariner said:

Oh man! Please, please, please have whoever you're with record the whole thing! I would love to witness them opening your bag!

freyjoel said:

I think you're confusing rolling over with not acting like a 5 year old having a temper tantrum because you can't get your way. If you disagree with the policy, find another means of travel. It's really simple.

Look, the OP planned to bring his P2 on a cruise. They didn't allow it. He was disappointed. I suggested he call Disney and see if they would offer him some compensation. You get your panties in a twist because I suggested he ASK? Oh brother!

freyjoel said:
Look, the OP planned to bring his P2 on a cruise. They didn't allow it. He was disappointed. I suggested he call Disney and see if they would offer him some compensation. You get your panties in a twist because I suggested he ASK? Oh brother!

Yeah, I don't understand that either. Compensation for what? Not getting your way? Maybe I should call up British Airways and American Airlines and demand they give me tons of compensation because for the longest time they didn't let me play candy crush during take off and landing!

ianwood said:
freyjoel said:

Yeah, I don't understand that either. Compensation for what? Not getting your way? Maybe I should call up British Airways and American Airlines and demand they give me tons of compensation because for the longest time they didn't let me play candy crush during take off and landing!

Look, Ian, I really don't want to play the "who can insult the other with the best exaggerated quips game" with you. I've read a bunch of your posts and I have a lot of respect for you. On that note I'll bow out of the conversation...nuf said.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20