"These Drones are Really Getting Out of Hand" - Fox News Today

@Alex_ posted this elsewhere but bringing it into this convo since it is relevant http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/fear-drone...-ado-about-nothing-says-airline-pilot-1515001

Chris Manno, a former US Air Force pilot who is now a captain for American Airlines, published a blog post which blames some media outlets for using drone sightings and the threat they pose to aircraft as a form of fearmongering. Manno explains how bird strikes happen "hundreds" of times each year, but because they rarely cause damage they are no longer considered newsworthy.

"What's new is the opportunity for media and aviation 'pundits' to claim more screaming headlines by overstating the drone hazard...although the media and some wannabe aviation pundits claim there are 'drones of 50-60 pounds,' the fact is, the new, popular hobbyist drones are marvels of lightweight miniaturisation, weighing a fraction of that." Popular drones, like the Phantom range by DJI, weigh around 1.2kg (2.6 pounds).

Reactions: GoodnNuff
And I read up on NPR, thanks guys for ruining it for me guys :( lol

Anyhow, they do seem to dance around the facts when their investors are involved. They have never been the outlet to bring the hard hitting questions but I feel comfortable saying.. most of the time, I think they do weigh both sides of the story where others do anything far from it

My kraken octo 4 1/2 ft in diameter fitted with a 22,000 mah battery weighs much more than a phantom and who know what what a 22,000 mah lipo would do in a jet engine.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
And I read up on NPR, thanks guys for ruining it for me guys :( lol

Anyhow, they do seem to dance around the facts when their investors are involved. They have never been the outlet to bring the hard hitting questions but I feel comfortable saying.. most of the time, I think they do weigh both sides of the story where others do anything far from it

That seems like a fair assessment. I used to listen to NPR quite a bit. Things change. I might listen to a few episodes of All Things Considered to find out. One thing I noticed when I did is that they give substantially more air time in their most listened to segments to the merits of certain "ideals". Climate change for example. Few stories debunking the notion, but many supporting it.
Obviously if you agree, the "bias" doesn't seem like bias at all.

There are "worse" media organizations....but not many better these days unfortunately. Fox is going downhill. Jon Stewart was a comedian. Nothing more imo. Same as Dennis Miller.
He was very good at lambasting conservative ideals through comedy for sure and the left loved that passionately. That's understandable.

Back on topic...........

I do think the media on both sides is sensationalizing the whole drone thing because it's a hot topic right now and they're all attention mongers. So your post above about Chris Manno is spot on.

We know the media is being dramatic about it and by doing so, it sways public opinion and steers politics and governance. That's the danger.

Reactions: MoreGone

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik