Thermal Infrared camera on a Vision

Reaction score
Just wondering if it is possible to supply a thermal camera with USB 5V power from the Vision?

I am a geothermal scientist and have purchased a V2+ for research. I am planning to remove the stock camera/gimbal (temporarily) and fitting a Flir thermal camera. The Flir camera requires an accessory for data capture that uses mini USB for power (5V 200mA):

http://www.teax-tec.de/fileadmin/datash ... ure_en.pdf

I know the bare Phantom 2 would have probably been the better choice for tinkering, but the V2+ was too great to resist!

Interesting Wharf (or would you rather be called Banger?), Wasn't there a Wharf in the Star Trek series?
I am somewhat impressed with the mass (45gm) of the FLIR sensor. I suspect that 5v is certainly available, but how to get it without compromising the flight electronics circuits is beyond me. Now if DJI could publish the entire design documentation package (including schematic) that would be very helpful for you, but I doubt they will want to do that. Perhaps since it is a business venture on your part, you could purchase that documentation.

I agree that the other system would have probably been a better investment for your purpose (the camera and gimbal appear to be half the cost of the entire P2V+), but you could have a dual-function aerial platform once you modify it for IR. I have been thinking about flying my modified Near-IR camera (an Olympus E-P2 with sensor mods), but it probably weighs too much for the P2V+ to lift and control (I'll have to weigh it and see).

At any rate, good luck with your research,
Tom

I would like to do similar activities with a flit camera. Where did you get your setup? How much is the cost for the complete camera and module combo?

1uas.com has a thermal setup but i don't see any video or pictures that have been shot with it.

thanks

Russair said:
I would like to do similar activities with a flit camera. Where did you get your setup? How much is the cost for the complete camera and module combo?

1uas.com has a thermal setup but i don't see any video or pictures that have been shot with it.

thanks

I don't have a setup yet - still scheming. I have also seen the 1uas setup but no idea how its put together. Not sure on cost but somewhere north of $4000, the Flir Tau2 core is over $4000 alone, without the data capturing module.

Posted this question on the P2 forum and got some useful responses:

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=18427

People have flown Taus on a phantom, and there are a few taus being flown on other MRs. I would definitely use a bec to supply power to it unless it takes 12v (which I suspect it does not because it is powered via USB normally?)

Check out some of the Roswell Flight Test Crew videos on YouTube, they have a few vids testing different tau setups,including inexpensive ways to integrate DVRs to them in the air.

slothead said:
Interesting Wharf (or would you rather be called Banger?), Wasn't there a Wharf in the Star Trek series?
I am somewhat impressed with the mass (45gm) of the FLIR sensor. I suspect that 5v is certainly available, but how to get it without compromising the flight electronics circuits is beyond me. Now if DJI could publish the entire design documentation package (including schematic) that would be very helpful for you, but I doubt they will want to do that. Perhaps since it is a business venture on your part, you could purchase that documentation.

I agree that the other system would have probably been a better investment for your purpose (the camera and gimbal appear to be half the cost of the entire P2V+), but you could have a dual-function aerial platform once you modify it for IR. I have been thinking about flying my modified Near-IR camera (an Olympus E-P2 with sensor mods), but it probably weighs too much for the P2V+ to lift and control (I'll have to weigh it and see).

At any rate, good luck with your research,
Tom

Hi Tom,

Yes I agree it would be nice to have the schematics. Perhaps one of the 3 cables that connects to the P2V+ gimbal/camera supplies the power I need, but who knows!

Hey wharfbanger!
i'm wildlife vet from Chile, this "upgrade" for the phantom2 vision+ is really usefull to my work.
If you can send me more information about the use of infrared cam in phantom2V+, i appreciate it.
mi email is [email protected]

thanks!

Mark ... looks like DJI are working to bring out some nice toys for people like you in the future. In the recent interview with DJI Innovations PR Manager Michael Perry , he said ...
there’s also other sensors that we would like be able to attach, so we’re working towards a more easy and open platform that allows people to use the Phantom for different uses. And we’re also looking at the sensor size and specs of our cameras. All those things will be coming to future generations.

Interview at http://us.hardware.info/reviews/5681/in ... uadcopters

I have flir ps32 with a hot shoe out. I can run that to any wifi transmitter I want. It's not cheap but it's cheaper than some of the options. Maybe I will upload some video of it.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic