Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Thermal camera question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Free, Apr 4, 2016.

1. Free

I relatively new to the drone world so please excuse my ignorance.

I have access to a flir vue pro (camera only) through work and was wondering what it would take to use it on my P3A. I will only be using this at night so I won't need the day camera, can the flir somehow take the place of the day camera and where can I purchase any equipment that I will need to do this.

2. WetDog

No. Or at least not easily. There is a company selling FLIR camera retrofits on P3's but they are specific to the new Lepton core.

You would have to go to an Inspire, or more likely, an S1000, to retrofit it with your camera.

3. Corey Tucker

what are you filiming at night? i think that would be cool too. does it pick up animals or just people?

4. Free

It will pick up anything that has a temperature difference between it and the surrounding environment. I would use this to locate pigs on our farm with

5. AG Drone Works

With a resolution of 80x60 pix Flir Lepton provides you better exchange your pigs for a horde of elephants, and fly real low too.

6. Free

The one we use has 640x512 resolution it's so clear I Know who the person is from 100' away

7. WetDog

8. Free

Yes that would be nice but since I already have the drone and camera I was hoping to put together the rest myself

9. L.Chaney

The cheapest and most ghetto way I found was to purchase the FLIR One, attach it to an old iPhone, strap it to the P3 and take off. It works but no preview.
    The FLIR One is about $250 and the phone was in a drawer.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

10. Free

How was the quality and range of the flir one. There may be a way to use an app like screen stream to stream the screen to another phone or tablet. If the quality ts good enough I may give it a try. To have access to a $4,000 camera and not be able to use it is frustrating.

11. L.Chaney

The quality and range were good, not great. At 100' you could see hot cars and roofs. I'd post a video if I had one with me, maybe I'll make another tonight.

12. AG Drone Works

Video made with thermal camera looks more or less the same regardless of whether you made it during day or night. We are not talking visible IR here

13. L.Chaney

Good point. The wind had me grounded for the last few days, other than that I have batteries charged and ready to go