There's a rumble brewing between new P4 owners and us lowly P3-ers

Reaction score
I'm seeing it already. The shoving between two kids on the playground before punches are thrown. P4 vs P3. No holds barred.

"Just ordered my P4!!!"

"Who cares? My P3 is great."

"My P4 has this, that, and the other. Yours doesn't."

"Waste of money!"

"You're just jealous!!"

Blah blah blah......

Looks like i will be a lowly p3-er!

Not for professional users. I have two P3s for day to day real estate and construction jobs, and two Inspire1s with the Zenmuse X5 for shooting television commercials and other high end video/photography work. The only thing that will truly interest me at this point will be an Inspire2. My wishlist for the Inspire2 is two of everything (over/under motors for redundancy, dual larger batters for longer flight times, and dual IMUs, compasses, etc) oh and of course more dynamic range out of the X5 and multiple compression modes for the video footage.

The only features that I do like about the P4 is the redundant IMUs and compasses, what looks like an improved gimbal, and extended battery life. Without camera improvements, my current P3s are good enough for me. I would probably still pick up a P4 if it weren't for the fact I would have to get all new batteries (for the 3rd time).

Reactions: dacofty and Reed L
I don't believe anyone is purposely trying to be negative to those who are opting for the P4. It seems to me like it's more that people had hoped for more in this model so that they could justify a P4, but since not all of their wish boxes were checked off, they are justifying out loud why they should keep their P3.

I have a P3 and would love a P4. If someone wanted to send me one, I'd gladly give my P3 to a P2 owner. :)

I don't believe anyone is purposely trying to be negative to those who are opting for the P4. It seems to me like it's more that people had hoped for more in this model so that they could justify a P4, but since not all of their wish boxes were checked off, they are justifying out loud why they should keep their P3.

I have a P3 and would love a P4. If someone wanted to send me one, I'd gladly give my P3 to a P2 owner. :)

Oh, so a selfish version of paying-it-forward then? :)

I don't see it that way. I see some light-hearted banter. Sounds like someone is "jelly"...

What I've noticed or my observations are;

The one's that seem to be "upset" about this are the ones that own the Pro model. I see hardly anyone that has an Advanced or Standard either "being a hater" or dropping theirs for a P4.

Also seems the ones that bought their Pro models within the past couple months are the ones most "disappointed'.

And it seems some of these "upset" people bought the Pro because it was "top of the line" Phantom regardless if they had a need or not for a 4k camera even though the aircraft itself is no different than the Advanced. So they are upset they don't have the Top-of-the-line model anymore.

If everything the P4 is advertised to do works well, I'll probably pick one up a few months down the road. As I said in jest in another post, I'll let the early adopters find the bugs first...

I think it's a little of "D. All of the above."

P4 buyer profile -
Some folks have the cash and desire to always buy the latest version, it's what they like.
A P2 owner looking to upgrade. ( like an iPhone 5 jumping to a 7, pretty common with tech. )
Some folks just want bragging rights.
A new Phantom buyer and they want a longer support cycle and longevity.
The added features are compelling enough to buy the P4 for an existing quad owner.
Many other personal reasons.

Non P4 buyers -

Just bought a P3A or P3P in the past few months, not taking a financial hit or added features not compelling enough.
Not wanting to be a beta test buyer. ( new tech is like that, not a ding, just how it works respectively. )
Waiting for the January 2017 price drop.
Not enough $$$.
Concerns over restrictions built into firmware and Go App.
Add more.

For me, I just got comfy getting P3P last Fall and just sold my P2V+. The P4 is interesting, has some nice features and had I not just gotten the P3P a within 6 months, and was about to pull the trigger, I'd probably go for P4.

I plan on buying a new drone so we have 2 when we leave for the World ARC in the Fall of 2017 and probably buy a P5 at that time. So there is one buyers thoughts, subject to change.

Reactions: Clipper707
Maybe, sort of........The P4 is a nice craft. With that said I bought my P3P in June. If I had a extra cash I would buy a 4. Its not even close to worth trying to sell my 3 just to order a 4. Maybe next year when the 5 comes out, but by then I'm sure the Inspire will have been updated so I would take a good look at that before the Phantom. I also still like the light bridge in my P3P

THE P2V RULES

:sunglasses:...well we definitely don't need to get into the arguement. I couldn't justify spending $1400 anyway on something I just fly once in awhile, but I do have a blast when I do.

I just got into this hobby last October and opted for a used P2 but then added an FPV, hard case, extra batteries, carbon props, etc. I'm fine with what I have for the time being :)

Last edited:
I'll stick with my P3A for now. I'm new to this whole thing anyway. No desire to jump ship on the 3 yet. Besides, I don't have the moolah for a 4. Reminds me of buying a computer..or phone. You buy the best at that particular time and BAM...there's a newer 'BETTER" version the next year. The P3A does everything I could want it to do and I'm very happy with it. Always a good idea to let the "guinea pigs" spend their money and review it, find all the little quirks, etc. etc. Get the kinks out so to speak.

I'll be here potential P4'ers. Waiting. Watching. :cool:

Reactions: SirAchie
I think the drone hardware cycle is beginning to flatten out, much like smartphones and computers before that.

The P3P/A was a HUGE step up from everything before, and IMHO turned the corner on offering a drone that anyone could use, that does all the fundamental tasks really well, and had only very minor compromises.

12 months later, the P4 is a worthy annual upgrade on DJI's part, and either one of the reduced-price P3 offering or the P4 are natural and easy upgrades for a P2V+ owner who skipped the P3 last year.

P4 isn't a must-have upgrade from P3, but anyone who does upgrade will find some nice perks.

IMHO, that's all you can really expect from a 12 month upgrade cycle on fairly mature hardware - it's not like it's been the last few years, where the upgrades were revolutionary. With Lightbridge, mile+ range, 20 mins flight time, VPS, POI/Waypoint/etc, the P3P/A are fantastic drones, and all the fundamental boxes are checked.

At least for now, the upgrades are going to be real, but incremental. I'm a P3P owner who honestly doesn't really take advantage of the full potential of even the P3P... I'd love a P4, but the upgrade just doesn't make sense for me, much like the Inspire - there's some great stuff on there that I'd love to have... but it's not worth paying for in the real world.

It always comes down to price, if you did buy a P3P recently, I would understand that you got upset over not waiting but either way you got it for cheaper, the P4 is more expensive than P3P was at launch and also if you're in to technology at all you know that nothing stays the same and once you learn the cycles you can time in your upgrades... It's a life lesson every techlover will have to learn the hard way, whether its a phone, a drone, a computer or what have you.

The way I see it is P4 is for P2 owners possibly P3S owners or complete newbies. And that's especially true if you're unhappy with your drone. If you have a P3A or P3P it's highly unlikely that you'd be happy with a P4 if you're unhappy about your P3A/P3P so the question is moot, keep your drone and shut up or if you have the money spend it and shut up.

People who are looking at it should see it as if it's worth buying a P3P for 999 dollars or 400 dollars more for the P4. The way it used to be when you were in the market for a P3 and chose between P3A and the 250 dollars extra for P3P...

I just brought my standard a month ago for £450. The standard came out a few months later than the others. On current form my standard will be smashed to pieces by probably October. Just in time for the P4S at around £500... Nice.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

So, are you guys saying I need to upgrade my FC 40? :D

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdriSmitJnr