There's a lesson in here somewhere - and TSA destroyed my drone

OK, I have once again cleaned this thread and warnings have been issued.
Lets keep it civil and on topic. Thanks. ;)

You should NOT be taking those lipos on board PERIOD! I have some experience with this and they should be shipped GROUND everywhere you go. These lipos can spontaneously ignite, trust me I know. When they do they create a 2000 degree fire that is not extinguishable. The toxic smoke and fire a 4s 5000MaH lipo would create would force that plane down and put many lives in danger! The smoke is CORROSIVE! Have some common sense and understand that most of the freight carriers are restricting lipos for this very reason. Theres are NOT the slightly less volatile computer cell LioN batteries they are LiPo's and carry inherent dangers. be smart and ship the batteries by ground. Do not fly and make this mistake again, PLEASE!

And don't start quoting me airline regs. I know them all. The trouble is that they don't know the very real dangers that exist but they are learning. Don't even check them underneath. Do some research and understand that a shipment of computer LiOn's was suspected in killing hundreds a decade ago in Europe in a tragic plane crash from checked in freight. LiPos have a more volatile constitution. These batteries can spontaneously combust and have taken gown houses and garages. Mine was one........

PS, they can and will ignite each other so you have a potential bomb onboard with three in tow.
If you know the regs then you know a person can't check lipo batteries. You say, "don't even..." as if it were allowed.

You mention crashes. These involve hundreds of pounds of batteries. Thousands of batteries. The FAA has done testing on exploding batteries and for some reason they allow two spare lipo batteries in the passenger compartment.

Last edited:
I've got exactly 2 cents this morning so here goes....

Has anyone actually put one of those "Fire-Proof" LiPo battery bags to the test?
I've seen YouTube videos but was wondering if anyone at this forum actually tested one.
I have a suspicion a lot of these bags on ebay etc wouldn't stop the flame from a match.

Also, even though the bag "might" prevent a fire, remember that if you have pets, they could still die from toxic fumes if one ignited (in a fireproof bag) while noone was home.

One other thought.....I use a battery charger that measures the batteries temperature while it's charging both internally AND externally. I have my charger programmed to shut down automatically if the temp rises above a specific temp. If you don't you might consider it.

I'll probably start storing my batteries in a fire-proof bag (sealed in an airtight bag) outside the house though after all this talk of LiPo fires. (Because I have pets especially).

They would know if it was an engine with all the modern sensors and such. From a passenger - He told CNN the plane was preparing for take-off when he heard a big thud. When he lifted the window blind he claims he saw "flames on the engine". My question is with the way these jets are maintained how could something like this happen?

What an idiot I was. I should have replied, "It's a toy helicopter."

1) My case didn't make it with my airline flight
2) The gimbal lock was NOT in place for the flight
3) The gimbal was completely destroyed in transit

When luggage gets inspected, they leave an inspection card inside so that you know it was inspected. Did you find this note inside?

I'm asking because the stock gimbal lock (at least on P3) is very easy to put on loosely and for it to fall out. It could be that the gimbal lock fell out and rattled around inside as the luggage was tossed around?

You are right about keeping a low profile.

Personally, I think those giant cases with drone logos are nothing but trouble. The invite attention from airline staff, customs, and thieves. It looks like you're carrying buckets of gold or very expensive electronics and that is not a good look to have.

Especially when traveling to developing countries, my goal is to look like a poor backpacker. Low profile is best profile.

Don't be a fool. As stated they can spontaneously combust and my fire with a brand new lipo causing it is proof. Do some research and read up on the topic before posting what is in my opinion a moronic statement. And educate yourself wont you on your Ipad. Its a Lithium ION battery NOT a Lithium Polymer!

I'm speaking from experience are any of you? I learned a lot since my accident I suggest you all start reading a little more about the FACTS.

You make it sound as if FAA/TSA/Airlines are some two bit operators no better than my local cabbie.

In fact, they've multi-billion dollar operations with highly trained employees. Any little rule is studied and analyzed and optimized by 100s of people.

They have studied the Lipo issued and they have issued Lipo guidelines. They are aware of the risks, and they have set the current standards according to this risks. (This is also why Inspire has 2 battery options.)

There's been at least one lipo fire on a passenger jet.

LiPO Fire onboard Fijian Airlines B737

All that said...people make mistakes and things happen. Otherwise there would never be plane crashes.

With all the volumes and volumes of airline regulations...people still die occasionally.

Last edited:
They would know if it was an engine with all the modern sensors and such. From a passenger - He told CNN the plane was preparing for take-off when he heard a big thud. When he lifted the window blind he claims he saw "flames on the engine". My question is with the way these jets are maintained how could something like this happen?
The jet probably injested a drone and the lipo started it on fire. Edit: Hidaven called it. I'm rethinking the safety of this hobby.;)

some quotes about DJI Batteries regarding battery fires
--------------------
But there’s one more solution, and DJI, creator of the popular DJI Phantom series of quadcopters, holds the patent to it.

Shortly after the launch of the original Phantom, developers with DJI wanted to ensure that consumers with less experience with soft pack batteries would be able to use them.

“We knew it would be a game changer because it further lowered the barrier for first time pilots interested in quads,” said DJI spokesperson Michael Perry.

Development on the Smart Battery for the Phantom II line of drones began in April 2013.

The Smart Battery’s are also LiPo batteries, with a capacity of 5200 mAh and voltage of 11.1 V. Power management is handled internally, meaning no balance connector is required to charge.

The one major criticism Phantom II users have? The price.

DJI smart batteries cost about $130, in comparison to the $20 LiPo batteries sold on DJI’s site (and often found cheaper on hobby sites).

“We cannot say for now if the price will drop. Part of the reason that the batteries are priced higher than normal LiPos is that all the smart features requires additional hardware (not just the LEDs, but circuitry), software and testing costs,” Perry said. “We feel that the intelligent features that people get out of these batteries corresponds fairly to the price differential with typical batteries.”

And that’s not to say that the DJI Smart Batteries are 100% foolproof.

“Heat is a big enemy of all Lithium battery chemistries, so even a DJI smart pack could be damaged by letting it sit inside a closed vehicle on a hot sunny day for instance,” Salt said. “Chances are it would never start on fire, but there is still some risk there – especially if it’s fully charged.”

Last edited:
Like Modzilla, I too use a military ammo box.Very heavy steel.
I also store at much less than 50%

You should NOT be taking those lipos on board PERIOD! I have some experience with this and they should be shipped GROUND everywhere you go. These lipos can spontaneously ignite, trust me I know. When they do they create a 2000 degree fire that is not extinguishable. The toxic smoke and fire a 4s 5000MaH lipo would create would force that plane down and put many lives in danger! The smoke is CORROSIVE! Have some common sense and understand that most of the freight carriers are restricting lipos for this very reason. Theres are NOT the slightly less volatile computer cell LioN batteries they are LiPo's and carry inherent dangers. be smart and ship the batteries by ground. Do not fly and make this mistake again, PLEASE!

And don't start quoting me airline regs. I know them all. The trouble is that they don't know the very real dangers that exist but they are learning. Don't even check them underneath. Do some research and understand that a shipment of computer LiOn's was suspected in killing hundreds a decade ago in Europe in a tragic plane crash from checked in freight. LiPos have a more volatile constitution. These batteries can spontaneously combust and have taken gown houses and garages. Mine was one........

PS, they can and will ignite each other so you have a potential bomb onboard with three in tow.

Smartphones, Tablets, Laptops, Electric Shavers, etc. You name it. Everything today has a LiPo battery in it. They are all susceptible to catching fire and smoking etc. They all travel on airplanes probably many 10's of millions per day in the US.

Stop trying to scare people. Know the Airline's rules, usually no checked batteries and a limit of 2 for carry on and proceed.

Anyone know the potential for a LiPo to self ignite fully charged (or at storage charge) just sitting (hopefully rare)

vs

During charging? (Seems obvious it would be greater while charging or discharging)

Wonder what kind of battery is in my pacemaker .
It's reported (Goggled it ) 600,000 are implanted each year world wide :eek:
Boy thinking about self igniting ain't good for ya :)

Reactions: GoodnNuff
Reactions: dirkclod
Reactions: Fplvert
Reactions: Fplvert
Just keep stockpiling your rations in your bunker my friend... the end is near!

The+End+is+Near.gif

No more worries about lipo fires I guess.

Reactions: dirkclod

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie