There Is In Fact An iPad SD Card Reader

I have not tried 4k.....I have a P3A, so I have no access to 4K. If the iPad won't display 4k, I'm guessing it won't allow you to import them using the CCK. You cannot view the file using the CCK before importing it to the Camera Roll.
I was only trying to be clear the CCK will only allow you to load files that look like something a camera would produce. You can't import files downloaded from somewhere unless you make them look like they came from a camera. This is a common problem. The file must have the characteristic three letters, underscore, and 4 or 5 numbers. The file name can't be DJIvideofile.mp4 as an example. The file must be inside a folder labeled DCIM on the root directory. Any variation may cause your iPad not to read it. I'm guessing you could use Handbrake to convert the file to 1080P and then it would load into your iPad. Apple may add support to 4K in future iOS releases. I'm not knowledgable on 4K.
Thanks for the heads up on that. I was trying to use my CCK to transfer files back to my ipad, but it didn't work until I put it in a DCIM folder. Also, I got Pinnacle Studio for iPad and I love it.

Reactions: RedRyderMedia
Thanks for the heads up on that. I was trying to use my CCK to transfer files back to my ipad, but it didn't work until I put it in a DCIM folder. Also, I got Pinnacle Studio for iPad and I love it.
I'm a big fan of Pinnacle Studio for iPad....wish more people would try editing on their iPads! I would be nice if they added some basic color management, but it's actually amazing what all they can do with just an iPad!

One more comment on Pinnacle Studio for iPad. The real power for Phantom pilots and PS4iPad shows when you're traveling. I use my iPad for my P3 display. That allows me to then use the CCK to load the aerial video saved to the P3 SD card to my iPad. That not only creates a backup of the SD card on my iPad, but then I can edit the video directly on my iPad in PS4iPad. It's a very efficient closed system. I edit video while I'm traveling and share it directly from my iPad. It allows me to travel withou my laptop! For me, that's a huge deal!

One more comment on Pinnacle Studio for iPad. The real power for Phantom pilots and PS4iPad shows when you're traveling. I use my iPad for my P3 display. That allows me to then use the CCK to load the aerial video saved to the P3 SD card to my iPad. That not only creates a backup of the SD card on my iPad, but then I can edit the video directly on my iPad in PS4iPad. It's a very efficient closed system. I edit video while I'm traveling and share it directly from my iPad. It allows me to travel withou my laptop! For me, that's a huge deal!
Before I spring for the whopping $10 :rolleyes:, can Pinnacle Studio Pro for iPad do anything with the 4K video which you can import into the iPad with the CCK? Can you even play the imported 4K video with it (the Photos app can see it, but can't play it, even though it tries)? Can you trim or combine 4K clips with it and then convert them to 1080p which can then be played through the Photos app? I suspect no, but would purchase it in a heartbeat, if the answer is yes...

I've done a bit of digging and I like the look of the Kingston 5 in 1 Mobile Companion paired with a portable HD. not only could I transfer files from my SD card onto the hard drive I can stream them via wifi straight to my ipad, and according to the video review, for those with the P3P, it will stream 4K. Finally another bonus is it will also charge my ipad mini or iphone out in the field.

Last edited:
I've done a bit of digging and I like the look of the Kingston 5 in 1 Mobile Companion paired with a portable HD. not only could I transfer files from my SD card onto the hard drive I can stream them via wifi straight to my ipad, and according to the video review, for those with the P3P, it will stream 4K. Finally another bonus is it will also charge my ipad mini or iphone out in the field.

Looks promising and at $40 the price is right. However, the demo is using all Android devices and requires a special Google Playstore app to play the 4K video being streamed. Without an equivalent 4K video player app in the App Store for iOS, which presumably would also play the CCK transferred 4K videos, it might not work the same. So, is there an iOS app that will play 4K videos already imported into the Photos app on an iPad by the CCK, without them already being converted to 1080p? My search of the App Store hasn't found one. There is also an inherent problem:
Why 4K UHD Video Cannot Be Played on iPhone iPad?
Before you play 4K videos on iPad or iPhone, you should at first realize the following cruel facts:

iPhone 6 Plus screen resolution: 1920 x 1080
iPad Air 2 screen resolution: 2048 x 1536
4K resolution: 3840×2160 (16:9) or 4096x2160 (17:9)

Last edited:
Before I spring for the whopping $10 :rolleyes:, can Pinnacle Studio Pro for iPad do anything with the 4K video which you can import into the iPad with the CCK? Can you even play the imported 4K video with it (the Photos app can see it, but can't play it, even though it tries)? Can you trim or combine 4K clips with it and then convert them to 1080p which can then be played through the Photos app? I suspect no, but would purchase it in a heartbeat, if the answer is yes...
I dont believe either the iPad or PS4ipad support 4k.

I dont believe either the iPad or PS4ipad support 4k.
And yet the web is full of articles that the Air 2 and the iPhone 6+ both do support 4K video. http://www.imore.com/iphone-6-iphone-6-plus-capable-4k-video-playback I just haven't been able replicate their results. Maybe I haven't been trying hard enough. I'll keep trying! Well, after 10 minutes of a spinning wheel on a CCK transferred tiny 25 MB 4K video opened in Photos, still nothing! What am I doing wrong?

Last edited:
Are you guys able to pull the video directly from the SD card with the Lightning adapter or another device straight to iPad and have it available to work with? I am camping right now, shot some awesome glacier and waterfall stuff 2 days ago, and I'm super frustrated. I have the Sandisk mobile storage device I linked to above, and when I transfer videos they don't show up in my Camera Roll (iPad Air 2), only in the Sandisk app. So, I've used almost 2 full P3 batteries transferring from the Pilot app, and half the time that fails during the second file. Plus, the transfer rate goes up and down and all over and it takes almost an hour to transfer a 5 minute 1080p file. [emoji35] I ordered the Lightning adapter from Amazon a few minutes ago, so next trip this will go better.

Yes, as soon as you plug in the adapter with the sd card inserted, it gives you the option to upload it directly to the iPad. Doesn't take long at all, a few minutes for a 6 minute video.

It's really quite slick - just need more storage on the iPad now. I upgraded iCloud space, but that only seems helpful as backup storage...?

Mark.

The only limitation is the videos won't play for me unless they were recorded in 1080p. Kind of defeats the P3P advantage. The 4K videos transfer but won't play for me on the Air 2, even though they show up in the Photos app. :(

Awesome. Good news guys. Thanks. I haven't been doing a lot of 4k since my editing options are poor right now. 1080p is fine for my hobby stuff. My adapter should arrive on Friday, so next trip will be better. Haha Not sure what the deal is with this Sandisk drive, might just use it for storage and backups.

Got this adapter yesterday, used it tonight. Easily 1000x better than transferring via Pilot app or my Sandisk mobile drive. Thanks for the tips guys. iPad video editing while on a trip will actually be enjoyable now. Much appreciated.

I use standard Apple SD card reader, all files, including DNG are moved. iPad Air 2 plays 4K videos without problems, then I use iPad as a USB stick using iMazing. Check out iMazing app, https://imazing.com

Its not only a camera connector whoever said that.. the easiest method is put the files onto a computer directly to dropbox though and then access dropbox on the ipad if you wanted to use the ipad to edit the video.

Its not only a camera connector whoever said that.. the easiest method is put the files onto a computer directly to dropbox though and then access dropbox on the ipad if you wanted to use the ipad to edit the video.
My opinion is if you want to edit the files on the iPad, transfer them directly to the iPad from the card. Why transfer them to dropbox and then back? And if you aren't carrying a laptop with you? Or aren't at a place with great WiFi or cell service (which was my situation for the last week).

Cell phone - hotspot

*good thing opinions dont always matter.
Whatever works for you do it. I dont fly my P3P for fun. I never know what or when Ill need the same footage from it. So I knock that step out immediately and drop it in dropbox where by the time Im around any of my computers I have the same work file and can easily send someone else the same file such as an assistant.

Why would you even want to edit from an ipad to begin with?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik