There is a new Waypoint App

Does this do aerial surveys grids? I purchased the Maps Made Easy Map Pilot App and it works very well. The only complaint I have is I would like to be able to utilize the go app at the same time.

I think 20.00 is too high, of course that goes along with the props and the batteries that are 3x more expensive than they should be also.

I would say surveys was not their intention in this app. It's a quick and casual way of setting up simple camera shots.
There is no way to have the Go app running simultaneously with a 3rd party app to my knowledge.

Reactions: Eddyfisher
This App has something other apps don't.... SIMPLICITY. Easy to use yet very advance with a super nice clean interface. But for those calling it a waypoint app... Might wanna rethink that. To me Litchi still the king when it comes to waypoints... Litchi still the only app that offers true GS/Waypoints. Airnest offers something called path/point but its not the waypoints we were used to see and loved with the DJI Vision App. As for the price i think Ainest is fairly priced based on its UI along....

I guess you haven't seen DJI Ultimate Flight; it's right up there along-side of Litchi.

DJI Ultimate Flight - v3 - Android Apps on Google Play

Would I be able to adjust the setting for the amount aircraft flight pitch? Also could I adjust the overall flight speed to at least be that of a inspire1 with this app, yet?

You can adjust the flight speed but only a common speed for the entire mission; that is the only option exposed in the DJI SDK.

Check out the new Advanced Mission Planner currently being tested:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

This App has something other apps don't.... SIMPLICITY. Easy to use yet very advance with a super nice clean interface. But for those calling it a waypoint app... Might wanna rethink that. To me Litchi still the king when it comes to waypoints... Litchi still the only app that offers true GS/Waypoints. Airnest offers something called path/point but its not the waypoints we were used to see and loved with the DJI Vision App. As for the price i think Ainest is fairly priced based on its UI along....
Litchi is still king.
I fly the latest Litchi 2.5 and it has performed very well. At each Waypoint, I had it rotate to a specific heading, altitude, Gimbal degree, pause its flight and even use the Panorama. It performed almost flawlessly. I was using my Samsung s5 to send it almost 4000' away at 65'. I look forward to an IOS version so I can run it on my IPAD Mini 2. I am interested in what seems to be a quick and easy App like Airnest for the IOS and look forward to hearing from the beta testers. Does it Return To Home Automatically, based on altitude, distance, battery life, or a hardware switch?
Back to Litchi, I am not sure how to take the photo. I tell it to stop the video, then take the photo, then restart the video. My .MOV output shows the video ending and then another .MOV ffile restarting at that waypoint. Is that the way it is suppose to work?

3dPico, BigAI07 et al - Apologies for the essay but I hope this at least makes new pilots stop and think before their first flights with new control Apps. Before flying ANY autopilot Apps I would stress you first get competent with DJI GO and instinctively toggling into P mode and flying fully manual emergency landings. Do not rely on Return-to-Home. This is not push-button flying.

I have been flying Autopilot (by Autoflight Logic) for a few weeks now and it is a very capable App, however, it is NOT a skim the tutorial then go flying deal. I cannot stress that enough. Read and re-read the Flight School section, understand how all the settings impact each other and know that it doesn't always play nice with DJI GO running in the background (I'm running it on the newest iPad Air 2 - WiFi edition). Keep all of your Firmware and updates current. Do not start with the "coolest" Mode or you will be collecting scattered pieces of your P3 soon afterwards. Pick one and learn it completely before trying another. Understand your true distances between POI and launch/engage points, your radius/altitude/offsets and if YOU are not the POI then figure out the possible flight paths and obstacles between your launch/engage point and POI and how your P3 might "try to get into position" once you start the Engage Sequence. Best advice - practice low and slow in the middle of a big field with no obstacles and little wind. Test a configuration, tweak settings, change your positions - rinse and repeat and make notes.

Having said that, and as I become more familiar with Autopilot it is definitely becoming my Go To App and easily worth the price but there are many instances where DJI GO on P and flying LOS manually is still the best option. DJI GO keeps pushing reliable updates and is now managing yaw and camera control features that simulate the functionality of the Inspire 1 camera control, and they have Waypoints and Follow Me modes as well, however, DJI GO is also not a "skim and fly" deal - especially if you have not put in many hours of flight time.

I have not used Litchi or Airnest yet but I will happily buy them and give them a try. I don't expect, and nor should anyone IMHO that there is currently or soon to be a one-size-fits-all App for your Quad. Hopefully without offending anyone on these Forums I would just say that if we have invested $2,000++ for a Quad I fail to see any reason to expect a reliable and feature-rich Autopilot App to be rolled out for $5-$10.

Ground Station and Autopilot hardware and software for Class II (now "Small") UAV's cost thousands of dollars and whether it be Piccolo or MicroPilot or something similar the simple act of handing over flight control to autopilot software should not be taken lightly.

My advice, invest the money in more than one App. The cost is insignificant relative to what you have just invested in hardware. Read the documentation thoroughly, surf and read every post and review you can find and make sure you have a solid working understanding of what you are about to do and what may go wrong before flipping that switch from P to F.

With AirNest would I be able to take off and free fly with the Go app, then switch mid-air to Airnest and draw a path during my flight? In other words switch apps mid air and use AirNest without a new take off.

With AirNest would I be able to take off and free fly with the Go app, then switch mid-air to Airnest and draw a path during my flight? In other words switch apps mid air and use AirNest without a new take off.

Yes you should be able to do that. Provided that DJI go fully releases the connection before you start Airnest.

The interaction seems to be different for everyone, if you kill it then you should be good to go. Any reading other than live video feed that you would be using go right before Airnest?
So stopping Go app mid flight should not cause loss of control other than FPV, until the view is regained in AirNest, right? (I'm just playing it safe here)

So stopping Go app mid flight should not cause loss of control other than FPV, until the view is regained in AirNest, right? (I'm just playing it safe here)

It hasn't for me, the drone should just hover, I've even had GO crash mid flight and have no effect on control. You can fly manually with our capture tool too if you want.

If you are using GO in P-Mode it should not be able to control anything on the drone except camera settings anyhow.

Reactions: Dounin Front
Just bought Airnest. Won't be able to use it until next weekend. Can someone explain what the Capture tool is and how it works? Thanks.

I bought this software, and if you're looking for a VERY elementary app, get this. I will warn about a couple of things (and they do the same on their site). 1). If you are flying in a suburban area and not in an open location, BE SURE that you set your altitude high enough to easily clear any possible obstacles (ask me how I know). 2) relax. Make sure that you know exactly what to do to take over the flight. 3). Don't do your first flights at dusk. Sounds like a no brainer but depth perception is way off in that kind of lighting condition.

I wrecked my P3A for the first time - with this app. Not my happiest moment. Thank goodness and thanks to a generous stroke of luck, it hit a pine tree that cushioned the otherwise fatal blow and my only loss is 2 props.

Lesson learned.

Reactions: Dounin Front
Ran my first path today with AirNest. I started it a little differently than normal however. Took off from my back deck as usual using the Go app, set a new home point away from the house, then closed the Go app (the P3 hovered) and opened the Airnest app. The video came back immediately, at which point I started a Path from the air. I drew a path around the pond and dropped a pin in the middle of it for a focus point. Set the height and speed sliders, tap, tap and off it went. I believe it started the video for me, though I could be wrong about that. I canceled the path mid way by switching back to P mode and manually flew home using the AirNest video feed.
There is an option to let the operator run the camera, but it seems to do well following the pin that was dropped. Under that scenario, if you change the camera angle-and you can- it will take back camera control when you release the wheel.
AirNest Camera control is different than GO POI in that Go does not change the camera angle. You back up and keep the POI in view. The P3 does a perfect 360 around the logged center point. With AirNest, your path can be completely free form with the camera somehow staying focused on the pin you dropped. I think this allows for more artistic looking footage IMO.
So far-so good :)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I also bought the app. Due to bad weather no chance to test the app in real life.
Just wondering, if I disconnect wifi on my Ipad there is no map visible in Airnest. Doesn't cache the Ipad the map somewhere?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers