There always seems to be an audience just as a start the compass cal...

Reaction score
I normally fly in uncrowded areas, most of the time there is not a soul around....right up until I start the chicken dance (compass calibration).

It must seem strange for the unfamiliar to witness that event.

I find the quadcopter is a magnet for dogs, dog walkers, children and stupid questions.
Doesn't matter where I am or how remote the location is, someone always turns up and feels obliged to make a direct beeline to me and then to start a conversation with me even though I am obviously deeply focused on not crashing and then they get all upset when I try to remain focused on flying.
1:Whats that?
2:How high does it go?
3:Can you drop bombs?
Sheesh... Give me a break, I am happy to chat about my favorite hobby once I am on the ground but the lovely people usually get all aggressive at my non-compliance to their demands of my immediate attention regardless of how polite I have been to their invasion of my personal space.
What gives?

BTW - Chicken dance is such a great description.

Tell them the truth. I'm busy concentrating but will answer ur questions when I land! Or just wear a TShirT that says "Let me tell you all about MY religion!" They will be repulsed as if u had gassed them after White Castle!

Sent from my PT beating heart

I find the quadcopter is a magnet for dogs, dog walkers, children and stupid questions.
Doesn't matter where I am or how remote the location is, someone always turns up and feels obliged to make a direct beeline to me and then to start a conversation with me even though I am obviously deeply focused on not crashing and then they get all upset when I try to remain focused on flying.
1:Whats that?
2:How high does it go?
3:Can you drop bombs?
Sheesh... Give me a break, I am happy to chat about my favorite hobby once I am on the ground but the lovely people usually get all aggressive at my non-compliance to their demands of my immediate attention regardless of how polite I have been to their invasion of my personal space.
What gives?

BTW - Chicken dance is such a great description.
You need this
http://www.cafepress.com/mf/92998639/back-white-shirt_tshirt?productId=1391456171

i don't actually turn... i just spin it in with my hands while holding the arms of the phantom ... is that bad?
That is right, you do not need to turn yourself (just a quad)
I am tired of all that stupid question. I hate kids trying to look in my screen while I am flying.

Most stupid questions are:

How much?
Did you make it yourself?
Where did you buy it?
How high does it go?
How do you control it?
May I try please? (What?????)
Can you attach some drugs and drop it in jail (I am serious I had that question from a client)

I have to order t-shirt saying something strange, like "I am not an info booth"

That is right, you do not need to turn yourself (just a quad)
I am tired of all that stupid question. I hate kids trying to look in my screen while I am flying.

Most stupid questions are:

How much?
Did you make it yourself?
Where did you buy it?
How high does it go?
How do you control it?
May I try please? (What?????)
Can you attach some drugs and drop it in jail (I am serious I had that question from a client)

I have to order t-shirt saying something strange, like "I am not an info booth"
yea the questions do get annoying... i just look really busy, don't respond and don't look over... they usually walk away.

Reactions: tvckz
I just make one of my kids do the chicken dance. Better they look foolish than me. Also, I don't want to have to empty all of my pockets of everything metallic. I haven't had very many flights yet, but nobody has ever talked to me. I would love to answer some questions. Had a dirty look once from a grumpy dog walker.

I normally fly in uncrowded areas, most of the time there is not a soul around....right up until I start the chicken dance (compass calibration).
Just another reason not to calibrate every flight.
It doesn't make your flying safer to calibrate every time.
It really is unnecessary and introduces the potential to get a bad calibration.

Whenever I catch someone watching me while I do the calibration dance i just look over at them while I am doing it and say "YES, it feels just as silly as it looks"

i don't actually turn... i just spin it in with my hands while holding the arms of the phantom ... is that bad?

Either way works because you do not need to spin on the axis of the sensor, just in/on the proper planes.

The Earth's mag. field is obviously huge so there's no difference between the two methods or the direction of rotation or starting at any particular heading.

If you fly within 100 miles of your compass cal location there is no need to do a compass cal. I haven't done one in a long while.

Adding 'change shirt' to my pre-flight checklist.

I have a solution for the problem of anouying people with stupid questions. I have a t-shirt with "I have Ebola" printed on it then if they still come closer to talk and distract me I just start coughing in there general direction!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik