Theory to increase flight time by adding wings to Phantom

Reaction score
I have an idea to try to increase the forward flight time of a DJI Phantom so it can fly further distance and come back with the same amount of battery. By adding wings I hope it can apply the same principle as a plane. I haven't seen any post about this idea and would like to hear your feedback.

My concern is that it has negative affects when going backwards and adds drag going sideways. It ensures as that forward flight is the only thing you want to do. Very limiting... IMO, you lose alot of the capability a Quad/Heli offers...

How about the downwash from the props?....I would have thought that would hit your "wings" and try to force the quad into a more vertical position, which would then need more power to keep it moving forward. Might even reduce distance.

Reactions: ianwood
You could connect the foam wing from a slow stick and test it out. Let us know your results.

I rarely fly backward or sideway for more than a minute. It would just be like a vertical takeoff plane.

The wings are under the drone so the force from the props should not be hitting the wings.

The angle of attack would be a major challenge based on pitch for forward movement. And then there's the turbulence created by the props.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: QuadBart
I rarely fly backward or sideway for more than a minute. It would just be like a vertical takeoff plane.

The wings are under the drone so the force from the props should not be hitting the wings.
The props pull air from above, and force it below. Not sure how it wont hit your "wing" under the drone... I would bet you will loose flight time due to this and weight, but let us know.

Throughout history there have always been people that want to tell someone why something won't work, work out what can work and report back to us. I am interested

Reactions: Maxi Drones
Reread is original post. He explicitly asked for feedback...

No one is raining on his parade, we are just doing what he asked...

Throughout history there have always been people that want to tell someone why something won't work, work out what can work and report back to us. I am interested

The props pull air from above, and force it below. Not sure how it wont hit your "wing" under the drone... I would bet you will loose flight time due to this and weight, but let us know.
The wings are hidden under the drone. It would not block anymore air than the drone already did which is why I put in under the drone and now by the side or in front.

There are a number of hybrid designs which combine fixed-wing with rotors.

Just bolting on some angled plates is a long way away from a hybrid design.

Making any claims of improvement will be difficult to prove without numerous controlled tests.

There are a number of hybrid designs which combine fixed-wing with rotors.

Just bolting on some angled plates is a long way away from a hybrid design.

Making any claims of improvement will be difficult to prove without numerous controlled tests.

I had flight logs from before. Roughly 17mins flight time. I just need to beat that by 1-2 mins and will report back.

My flight times vary based on many factors.

How will you control all the variables?

The wings are hidden under the drone. It would not block anymore air than the drone already did which is why I put in under the drone and now by the side or in front.
If the wings are attached like you diagrammed they will definitely catch the prop wash. That being said please do prove me wrong :)

Reread is original post. He explicitly asked for feedback...

No one is raining on his parade, we are just doing what he asked...
I know he asked for input but I figured he wanted help to find out what will work and build upon and idea, not just for people to comment what won't work.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie