Theoretical Question

Reaction score
Hello all. So knowing that we can turn the P2V rotors on and off by (left stick [bottom right] & right stick [bottom left]) ...

Is it possible to send the P2V up really high like 1000 feet... cut the motor and turn it back on when it drops to 500 feet? Might give a cool camera angle of a free fall.

NoFlyAways said:
Hello all. So knowing that we can turn the P2V rotors on and off by (left stick [bottom right] & right stick [bottom left]) ...

Is it possible to send the P2V up really high like 1000 feet... cut the motor and turn it back on when it drops to 500 feet? Might give a cool camera angle of a free fall.

I think you can indeed cutoff the motors in mid air, now that is very risky as the sensors may not be able to recover from such unusual attitude.

Since I'm total chicken... I'll let someone else try this maneuver. Just PLEASE post the video! :shock:

lol

Byroman said:
Since I'm total chicken... I'll let someone else try this maneuver. Just PLEASE post the video! :shock:

lol

+1! Balls of steel to try it! I would be scared the command to restart the motors wouldn't get received in time to recover.

amrflyingdude said:
I think you can indeed cutoff the motors in mid air, now that is very risky as the sensors may not be able to recover from such unusual attitude.
The various falling-from-the-sky videos seem to indicate a propensity for stabilizing feet-down, albeit with some spin, with the props windmilling like crazy. Bodes reasonably well, but no, I'm not going to try it. ;)

You can see it in your mind, how the propellers on the Phantom stops.. loses momentum and falls down wildly.. and after a brief second, restarts and stabilise itself on command, and hover to the astonishment of many.

This question will slowly chip away at your soul and starts an ever growing itch until you do the test and film it...

Have watched a video of a quadcopter that had its engines cut out @ 2000'. At 1st looked very unsteady & wobbly for what looked to be a few hundred feet. The craft had a camera that also recorded sound, you could hear the engines whining as it autorotated back to the ground. It became perfectly stable as soon as you heard the engines whine and props chopping through the air. You see the unit bounce as it hits the ground, but not in a catastrophic way.
I don't think the pilot cut the motors on purpose, but it was nice to see the AR work & the craft make a landing that might have much less damage than if it just dropped out of the sky.

Moose

If it tips over and you give it power ... you are going to have a nice quick landing :p I doubt it would do very well at righting it self back up from upside down.

NoFlyAways said:

Try a fast decent once (without killing motors) and see the results. I think that'll answer your "theoretical question"

Anyone who has let their battery power fall too far while in the air knows what happens when the Phantom(2) falls. It will recover just fine from being upside down, as long as it has battery power and enough time to recover before smashing into something.

iResq said:
In practice this is really a dumb idea. How would you even begin to defend yourself should something go wrong?

I wouldn't think there is any defense for that. It simply should not be attempted unless one is willing to accept responsibility and accept the risks of property damage, etc.

I may go get some footage of this experiment as soon as the weather clears up here, but that might be a while. If anyone else does this, make sure you get decent footage from the air as well as on the ground.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4