The User Manual for The Phantom 3.....

Reaction score
Is it just me or is this the absolute worst manual ever written? It doesn't go into depth on ANYTHING! It leaves out all kinds of stuff I've been seeing on YouTube tutorials like how to do an IMU calibration and the like. The manual, since manufacturers don't include them in printed form any longer, should be incredibly detailed if it's a downloadable document. The manual doesn't go into any depth at all with regards to the app. Are they just relying on aftermarket parties to create tutorial videos? Very lazy...coming form a former technical writer.....

You and I both know that people aren't gonna read it anyways. So much easier to just pick up your phone or tablet and youtube it to see it done with your eyes. You can pause and go back.

Reactions: gabrieldps
I don't know...I guess I'm different. I read manuals front to back as soon as I get the item......heck, when I get a new car I sit in it for hours and go through the whole thing! :)

That plane picture on your profile probably explains why... pilots love studying their gadgets [emoji3]

Reactions: ecarfar
Unfortunately this is not an isolated case of a stellar product with lausy documentation. While many consumer products these days are created as plug.& play, more complex systems like the Phantom can't be and shouldn't be in that category. I doubt DJI will come up with a comprehensive manual and it is up the the "after market" to create "the missing manual". Another option would be to "crowd create" such a document.....

DJI is busy with producing and selling and as long as they have to work hard to keep up with the demand there will be no motivation to put some emphasis on manuals. I am sure, they could afford a decent budget for such department ... but we don't give them a reason to do so as we buying anyway.

Reactions: bobmyers
I don't know...I guess I'm different. I read manuals front to back as soon as I get the item......heck, when I get a new car I sit in it for hours and go through the whole thing! :)

Ecarfar
I am with you and I don't agree with Joao Carlos that we do so because we love to do it.
IMHO it is rather a matter of responsibility and necessity to understand as much of the the function of the machines we are using. Especially when "not knowing" could cause wrong reactions and could have consequences larger the just loosing the bird. Many in this forum are making the point to flying responsibly, (line of sight, not over crowds, away from bystanders, respecting privacy etc.) Reading and understanding the manual should be part of responsible pilot-ship.

Is it just me or is this the absolute worst manual ever written? It doesn't go into depth on ANYTHING! It leaves out all kinds of stuff I've been seeing on YouTube tutorials like how to do an IMU calibration and the like. The manual, since manufacturers don't include them in printed form any longer, should be incredibly detailed if it's a downloadable document. The manual doesn't go into any depth at all with regards to the app. Are they just relying on aftermarket parties to create tutorial videos? Very lazy...coming form a former technical writer.....
You are right-- a lot missing-- but there is more than most we get for any these types of RC aircraft. One of the reasons they probably don't go into detail is that they don't know what kind of bugs will pop up. Another is that when the product hits the market, all those worms will come gushing out, fixes will be made and then the Manual will be written per the information that comes from the real world--- ie this and other forums broadcasting the results of the R&D.

Being a technical writer, you probably already know that. For people who like to be fully informed before they try to fly this marvel of technology, it is a travesty of sorts-- like pilots, engineers, and photographers. For others wanting to jump off the cliff and experience what the hawk sees, attention to detail, becomes subjective and they want to fly first and then figure it out. Unfortunately, you will read about some of those on this forum whose Phantom didn't survive their ignorance of what is in the manual.

The worst manual, no--- but for sure lacking! Cheers!:):)

Ever buy a smart phone? Are you in a tizzy about the manual for it? How about your computer?

Lots of things in today' high-tech world have a manual that is, how would say it, manual. Much of what you need to find out is discovered on your own, to me it is part of the enjoyment of getting a new piece of technology, discovering what it will do, what you can make it do. Even what you can learn from others in places like this and many other online forums about technology you and others own.

Personally I think manuals, especially paper ones should fade into history, a thing of the past. We don't need on stinking badges, I mean manuals.

201-The-Treasure-of-the-Sierra-Madre-quotes.gif

Ever buy a smart phone? Are you in a tizzy about the manual for it? How about your computer?

Lots of things in today' high-tech world have a manual that is, how would say it, manual. Much of what you need to find out is discovered on your own, to me it is part of the enjoyment of getting a new piece of technology, discovering what it will do, what you can make it do. Even what you can learn from others in places like this and many other online forums about technology you and others own.

Personally I think manuals, especially paper ones should fade into history, a thing of the past. We don't need on stinking badges, I mean manuals.

maybe-- maybe not-- go buy an airplane and try to fly it without a manual -- It will probably look worse than the Phantom that was posted up under "Crashed Tonight":eek:o_O:confused::(

Paper ones are history, but thankfully they photograph them now -- so we can put em on our computers and ipads.

maybe-- maybe not-- go buy an airplane and try to fly it without a manual -- It will probably look worse than the Phantom that was posted up under "Crashed Tonight":eek:o_O:confused::(

Paper ones are history, but thankfully they photograph them now -- so we can put em on our computers and ipads.

Maybe bobmyers, but I would not bet on it. Are you talking an airplane like real airplane? I could most likely fly a real airplane better than a RC toy plane. Worked for about 10 years on A-4s, F-5s, T-2s, T-38s, A-10s, F-16s, C-141s, UH-1s, OH-58Ds, and CH-47s as an aircraft electrician and instrument and communications/navigation technician. In the Navy spent close to 50 hours in simulators just learning instruments and controls and how they make airplanes fly, took about 10 attempts to get airborne, never brought it down without crashing. Flown in helicopters all over the world, sat in the seat but really have zero stick time. Needless to say I poured over many NATOPS flight manuals and such. Engine run certified for years in the C-141. Think I have a good understanding of the importance of reading manuals. Just saying that, for me, reading about what I have to do to get airborne with the P3 and not turn it into a pile of wires and plastic bits works just fine for starters. Every single time I fly my bird I learn a little and sometimes a lot new, and it is part of what I love about this hobby.

I think you're comparing apples and oranges Chuck. A smart phone or computer won't fly away, never to be seen again or potentially harm a person or their property. I think this is one of those items that should have a VERY detailed manual, especially for the app which is the most complicated thing. I recently bought an SLR camera and that came with an incredibly detailed manual. It explained every menu and sub menu. I'm also a private pilot and worked on F-14's in the navy. You don't step into an airplane without first memorizing the manual for it. I think it's come down to a cost saving measure for companies. They'd rather have the consumer do the leg work for them.

Reactions: JohnK

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj