THE Ultimate Guide for all Phantom Vision and Vision+ owners

Re: THE Ultimate Guide for all Phantom Vision and Vision+ ow

pjw73nh said:
... As a noob with 8 flights under my belt I found the information VERY useful. I still have a few questions though.

There are two sets of rapid green flashes.
The first rapid green flashing sequence indicates the Phantom has recorded it's compass direction for course lock.
The second rapid green flashing sequence indicates it has just recorded home position.
After that the lights will indicate GPS status. Slow green flashes means 7 satellites or more. One green and one red = 6 satellites. One green and two red = 5 satellites.
But honestly it's a lot easier to just look at the app and see how many satellites it has.
The app will also tell you if it has recorded home point. If the distance reads N/A it doesn't have a home position. If distance is 0, it has a home point.
Once you enable ground station you can also swipe left and look at the map to see if it's showing the phantoms GPS location.

The "flat base" of the range extender might be more accurately referred to as the flat FRONT. The flat part that normally faces forward. There are two flat patch antennas inside.
You want to tilt the range extender as needed to keep the flat face, facing the phantom.
Also note, the antennas on the Phantom are the same flat patch antennas. One on the left and one on the right side angled slightly downward. So reception is optimal when the side of the phantom is facing you.

The smart battery level indicator is clearly green when full. When it descends into yellow it's low and red is critical. This is a recent change to the app so it's probably not in the manual yet.
That battery level indicates flight time remaining, not battery percentage. The yellow and red areas will grow or shrink depending on how far away the Phantom is from home point.
Yellow means you have just enough time remaining to get home. Red means you probably don't have enough time left to get back.

20 Meters is approximately 66 feet. If it is lower than 20 meters, it will climb to 20 meters before returning home.
Not 20 meters above it's current altitude, just 20 meters above it's home point where it launched from. If already higher than 20 meters, it will stay at the current altitude on the return home.

You need to enable ground station in the app. Look for the ground station switch under settings to enable. Then, from the camera screen, swipe left to show the ground station screen.

cahutch said:
pjw73nh said:
... As a noob with 8 flights under my belt I found the information VERY useful. I still have a few questions though.

There are two sets of rapid green flashes.
The first rapid green flashing sequence indicates the Phantom has recorded it's compass direction for course lock.

Thanks again Cahutch. Your explanation are right on the dot. You are helping me and other members a lot. :D

I'm currently making corrections\adjustments to THE guide based on comments I received from other members and from you of course.

The section about "Recovering from Fly-Away" was taken from another member post. I guess I read it sideways without checking it first :oops:. I'll make the necessary corrections for my next update. I'll also add a great section about Naza. So stay tune.

Again, thanks to all of you who took the time to read THE guide and pin point some issues. Let make this guide THE guide for all phantom's vision users out there.

Take care and Fly safe.

Again, to both Cahutch and Fantomas, thank you so much for the clarifications. These will truly help me. I am looking forward to the updated guide...

Up to now, other than a few low altitude flights in a local open field park, I have been pretty much afraid to fly any horizontal distance. So I have just been going vertical at first.

I researched Naza mode, and the manuals and many folks (in not so many words), tell you to stay away from it until you're an expert in Phantom mode. As a beginner, paranoid about losing my quad, I thought I'd give Naza mode a try. I REALLY like the idea of the "home lock" feature. Seems to be for the most part idiot proof. As long as I have good sats (7+), and altitude. Just pull the stick back, she follows the radial back to the recorded home point regardless of nose orientation. I DO have this right, correct?

Question: In "Home Lock", when I get closer than 10m to home point, and it goes into course lock, what happens if I keep the right stick down? Will it continue past home point and start going further back, away from me?

Thanks again. GREAT thread....

pjw73nh said:
Question: In "Home Lock", when I get closer than 10m to home point, and it goes into course lock, what happens if I keep the right stick down? Will it continue past home point and start going further back, away from me?
It depends. It may change direction entirely. In course lock, pulling back on the stick will tell it to fly backwards from whatever direction it's nose was facing when you turned it on.
So if it was facing north when it locked in course direction, and you flew east, switching to home lock and pulling back on the stick will bring it back flying west toward you since that's backwards in home lock. When it gets too close and switches to course lock, if you're still pulling back on the stick, it will change direction and start flying south because that's backwards in course lock. It will stay in course lock until you move the S2 switch.

I usually only use home lock when it's far enough away that I can't tell what direction it's facing. When it gets close enough I switch back to IOC off and fly normally.

Thanks a lot for putting this guide together!

Looking forward to read through it and find out what I missed so far trying to learn as much as possible about my new quad :)

Wow, thanks a lot for making this guide. Learning all the ins and outs of the Phantom is like a big jigsaw puzzle. This guide helps a lot.
I still have technical questions like why I have only a 15min. avg flight time, and so on.

I found an interesting youtube movie about resetting your homepoint. Even in mid-flight! It then records your altitude and when you enter failsafe it will add a extra 20m so you can fly safely back home over high obstacles.
What is your opinion about this movie.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJourEiJ77E

Ton

TonG said:
Wow, thanks a lot for making this guide. Learning all the ins and outs of the Phantom is like a big jigsaw puzzle. This guide helps a lot.
I still have technical questions like why I have only a 15min. avg flight time, and so on.
15 minute flight time is pretty normal for the Vision +
DJI Lies. 20-25 minutes is normal for a plain Phantom 2 with no gimbal or camera.
On the Vision + the added weight of the gimbal and camera reduce the flight time to 15-20 minutes.

I usually get 15 minutes at 30% remaining and 18-19 minutes if I let it drain down to 10-15%
Your capacity and flight time should increase some after a few charge-discharge cycles.

Simon Newton is a good channel. Watch all of his videos, he won't steer you wrong. He's also on the forums here from time to time.

TonG said:

When I was using the Props Guards ( :oops: :oops: :oops:) my flight time was ALWAYS around 15min.
Since I took off the Props Guards, my average flight time in now around 20 min....HUGE difference!

Good news everyone.

My New and Improved Summary Guide is now available (v Aug-22-2014)

I've added lots and lots of new information.
The "Pre-Flight Checklist/Tips & Tricks/Notes" section is now better than ever!!!
Made few corrections here and there.
Add a new "Naza Mode IOC. Why and How" section.
Reorganize the sections a bit.

Section List:
What to Do & Not to Do First
Good to Know before you Go
Starting/Stopping the Motors
DJI Vision / Radar Function
Flight Environment Requirements
Pre-Flight Checklist/Tips & Tricks/Notes
- Inspection
- Power-Up
- DJI Vision
- Ready to Fly
- Know your switches
- Always be prepared for the Worst
- Landing
- Side Notes
Led Status (Phantom, RC & Extender)
Battery Status (RC, Extender & Smart)
Calibration
Naza mode and IOC. Why and How
How to Avoid Fly-Away / Recovering from a Fly-Away
Failsafe / Manual Failsafe
IOC Flight – Course Lock & Home Lock / CL Direction & HL Home Point Recording
Flight Limits (Height/Radius)
Ground Station
Preventive Maintenance Checklist
Phantom and RC Assistant / Camera Update

Be sure to get this latest version or you'll be missing something :D

Here's the link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mv8d1hohc3mceym/DJI Phantom Vision Summary Guide.pdf?dl=0

Enjoy, Take Care and Fly Safely

pjw73nh said:
I just looked at this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYYVyRVGE-8

at about 8:10, he demonstrates getting home point, and then right after he does something to get compass heading (nose orientation). Did I miss this in your guide?

Thanks.

Tom' s Tech Time... This guys made a lot of very interesting videos. Be sure to watch all the one related to the Phantom Vision.

I think you are talking about a manual reset of your Home Point. Yes it's in the Guide under "Method of Forward Direction and Home Point Recording" but I wouldn't recommend playing with that if you are just beginning to fly.

Did you have a look a my updated version of the Guide yet?

Good work Fantomas,
I'm re-reading and I noticed the part about making sure your phone's GPS is enabled. Page 7 under Inspection.
I've done some testing because the GPS is a big drain on the Phone battery. With location services disabled for the DJI Vision App, the app behaves exactly the same.
It works fine without GPS/location services.
The Home location comes from the on board GPS receiver and the Radar and Ground station screens show the Phantom location correctly.

Download link does not work. Please upload it again.
Thank you.

nfilipek said:
Download link does not work. Please upload it again.
Thank you.

I know Dropbox was on and off all day long today...
Try again later.

cahutch said:
Good work Fantomas,
I'm re-reading and I noticed the part about making sure your phone's GPS is enabled. Page 7 under Inspection.
I've done some testing because the GPS is a big drain on the Phone battery. With location services disabled for the DJI Vision App, the app behaves exactly the same.
It works fine without GPS/location services.
The Home location comes from the on board GPS receiver and the Radar and Ground station screens show the Phantom location correctly.

Again thanks for the precision and all your help. I was not sure about that one.
SO even if Phone's GPS is OFF, my location vs the phantom will still be ok all the time even in the Ground Station, right?

I think you are talking about a manual reset of your Home Point...
Fantomas,

No, I don't think it is JUST home point. He does something right after (maybe 8:15 to 8:25 or so) and verbally mentions "the copter now knows where the front is". What switch is he manipulating? Something on S2.

Is it in the pinned/sticky in the forum? Or the original link?
Tnx.

pjw73nh said:
I think you are talking about a manual reset of your Home Point...
Fantomas,

No, I don't think it is JUST home point. He does something right after (maybe 8:15 to 8:25 or so) and verbally mentions "the copter now knows where the front is". What switch is he manipulating? Something on S2.

Is it in the pinned/sticky in the forum? Or the original link?
Tnx.

I updated the Sticky link also. Let me know if you get the Aug-22-2014 version from there also...

About the 8:15-8:25, let me check that.

Fantomas said:
Again thanks for the precision and all your help. I was not sure about that one.
SO even if Phone's GPS is OFF, my location vs the phantom will still be ok all the time even in the Ground Station, right?
As far as I know, the app doesn't show your location. It only shows the home point and the Phantom's current location.
I don't think the phone's GPS is used for anything other than being able to cache a map before connecting to the Phantom's wifi.
Which means of course that you won't be able to do that if location services are turned off.

Edit: I just read Page 5 and i was unaware that you could switch the radar view to center on the phone's position. That would certainly help if you had to go hunting for a downed Phantom.
Obviously that wouldn't work if the phone's GPS was turned off.

Some users have poor battery life on their phone and were looking for a way to extend the phone life while flying. Disabling GPS on the phone should go a long way since GPS is a big battery killer.

On the subject of map caching and internet access while connected to the Phantom.
Here's a helpful tip. You can maintain your cellular internet connection while the Phone is connected to the Phantom WiFi.
It works for me in any case and I've never had a problem using it.

Apologies to Android users, I have an iPhone so I can't give you specific instructions but hopefully you can figure it out.
The reason you can't use both connections is because both connections have a default gateway defined and you can only have one.
if you go into your WiFi setting while connected to the Phantom network, select the network or tap on the little (i) next to it. You'll see the IP address information on the next screen.
DHCP is probably selected, You'll see BootP and Static next to that.

Select Static and enter the following information.
IP Address, 192.168.1.15
Subnet Mask, 255.255.255.0
Leave the rest blank

By leaving the Router (or default gateway) and DNS blank, you allow the phone to use the gateway and dns servers on the cellular network.
Without a gateway, the phone knows it can't get to the internet that way and goes to the connection that has a gateway.
It still works for connecting to the Phantom since the Phantom network doesn't use DNS, the connections are hard coded.
The camera is at 192.168.1.1 and the range extender is at 192.168.1.2

This should also speed up connecting to the network or reconnecting after losing the wifi, since it doesn't have to go through the DHCP process to assign an address every time.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl