THE Ultimate Guide for all Phantom Vision and Vision+ owners

Re: THE Ultimate Guide for all Phantom Vision and Vision+ ow

Fourblade said:
Is it supposed to stay rock solid when doing the 360 check? or is a small bit of movement OK (breeze etc)?
Some movement is OK, it's bound to move some due to wind and GPS error. But a wide swing in response to rotation or a circular "circling the drain" motion is what you want to watch out for.

Fantomas said:
FWI (in the Guide) :)
Hover accuracy is +/- .8m (GPS/ATTI); Horizontal hover accuracy is +/- 2.5m (GPS only).

I heard somewhere (you know from the Colin guy :D) that since the Phantom cannot connect to military grade satellites. The GPS is not perfect.
So it WILL move even if no wind at all.
That means that the Phantom can only hold altitude to within + or - .8 meters, so it will drift up and down. If you're hovering a half meter off the ground, it will probably drop down and hit the ground.
Horizontal position can drift + or - 2.5 meters or 8 feet in any direction. So don't expect to hold position within 8 feet of an obstacle.

The military uses the same satellites. They stopped adding the random error for civilian use years ago.
Accuracy is mostly determined by the quality of the GPS receiver. Timing and phase differences between the different satellites can only be counted as accurately as the timers and phase detectors on the receiver. The military uses more expensive GPS receivers that can more accurately calculate the timing differences between satellites.
However, even with the best equipment there is still a theoretical accuracy limit from the position accuracy of the satellites themselves.

The interesting thing I read in this guide, which I didn't know before was in the - What to Do & Not to Do First section

Where it says "Calibrate the IMU. Do the Advanced Calibration the first time and after(recommended) firmware update"

I haven't done this but only because I'm sure it didn't say to do so in the Phantom manual?
I've flown it without any issues (only had it just over a week) in GPS and ATTI and it all seems fine - would you still suggest to do the calibration and why might it be good to do so - just asking ;)

cahutch said:
I don't think an IMU calibration is needed unless the software says it is. As long as the numbers are normal when the unit is level and stationary, the IMU is probably fine.

...and that would be fine to check those numbers indoors?

Fourblade said:
...and that would be fine to check those numbers indoors?
Of course. Indoors is ideal for the IMU. (Not the Compass).
The IMU needs to be still and level when checking or calibrating which isn't easy to do outdoors.
The IMU is not sensitive to magnetic fields, only to motion.

Personally I would do it anyway, especially if right out of the box. Better safe than sorry :)

FWI:
"The IMU (Inertial Measurement Unit) has built-in inertial sensor and a barometric altimeter that measures both attitude and altitude."

Anybody can explain in simple terms what that means and what it's use for?

The altitude part is the barometric altimeter that measures altitude based on air pressure. Air pressure is a variable so it's mainly concerned with changes in air pressure over short times.
The Inertial measurement is accelerometers just like the ones in your phone that tell the phantom how it's tilted.
And it has gyros that tell it if it's rotating in any direction.

I might suggest there is a potential area for confusion in the use of the word "manual". In the section on fly always, you use the term "you'll be flying manually" to mean without GPS assistance I believe. However, someone could read this to imply they will be in manual mode. I realize this may be petty, but to those not strong in English or a newbie it may be confusing. Just a thought...

Awesome job by the way.... Thanks for all your effort!

Cocoa Beach Kiter said:
I might suggest there is a potential area for confusion in the use of the word "manual". In the section on fly always, you use the term "you'll be flying manually" to mean without GPS assistance I believe. However, someone could read this to imply they will be in manual mode. I realize this may be petty, but to those not strong in English or a newbie it may be confusing. Just a thought...

Awesome job by the way.... Thanks for all your effort!

I cannot find the term you are referring to. Are you talking about my Summary Guide?
If so, could you send me the hole phrase. (Maybe I already updated it...)

And thanks for the good words.
Share the joy :)

brorex said:
Getting 404 error on link

Please, try again. If still not working, send me a private message with your email, I'll send it directly to you if you want.

Great work Fantomas! I already saved it, printed it (for a reference binder), resent it to my email addys for realtime reference on my iPads.

slothead said:
Great work Fantomas! I already saved it, printed it (for a reference binder), resent it to my email addys for realtime reference on my iPads.

That's a brilliant idea :idea:

Fantomas said:
Cocoa Beach Kiter said:
I cannot find the term you are referring to. Are you talking about my Summary Guide?
Might be referring to my post and my description of flying in Atti mode. I used the word manually to denote manual control as opposed to automatic flying.

Good news everyone.

THE Ultimate Guide is already under the "Important Stickies" section of the Phantom Vision(+) forum.

Thanks to all and Geert(OP) who puts the link there.

cahutch said:
Fantomas said:
Cocoa Beach Kiter said:
Might be referring to my post and my description of flying in Atti mode. I used the word manually to denote manual control as opposed to automatic flying.

You are absolutely right. My apologies. I assumed what I was reading was a section of the manual and you were making comments regarding it. I did not realize it was additional information. Thanks for clearing that up!

Cahutch and Fantomas.... Outstanding write ups. Thank you so much. As a noob with 8 flights under my belt I found the information VERY useful. I still have a few questions though.

I've read a couple of places that in NAZA mode, the home point is indicated by GPS status lights (see the image of the stickers in the guide Page 14 and the "home point" block on page 19).. Can someone clarify this for me? Other places it is mentioned that it the same as Phantom mode. A set of quick green flashes, then slower, rhythmic green blinks.

Page 17: Item 6. Your Phantom 2 Vision will keep a log of its last known GPS position as long as you have stable Wifi. Keep the flat base of the
Wifi range extender pointed as directly as possible towards your Phantom to maintain Wifi and thus GPS location within the DJI
app.

Can someone clarify this for me?, I would have to have the range extender and remote controller upside down to keep the flat base toward the Phantom when in flight.

On the bottom of page 6, the picture of the display (shows smart battery level indicator (color line with time remaining). Seems counter intuitive. It says: Sufficent Battery is red, low battery is yellow, and critical is green. Is this REALLY true? It seems backwards to me.

Page 17: Item 8. Turn off transmitter as last resort to activate the failsafe return to home function. Keep in mind that if you're below 66 feet when
hitting Failsafe and their are obstacles between you and your Phantom that your Phantom WILL run into said obstacles as by
default it flies in a straight line above the home position before descending.

Did I miss something? I thought if it was BELOW 20 meters, and failsafe was initiated, it would climb 20 meters above its current altitude(just in case of obstacles) and THEN fly to home point. If it was already ABOVE 20 meters, it would just fly to home point with no increase in altitude.

Page 27: The DJI vision App features an integrated ground station function

I've never seen it? Do I need it? How do I get it?

Again, thanks for the great write-ups.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj