THE Ultimate Guide for all Phantom Vision and Vision+ owners

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Well, now that I've got your attention:

To all Phantom Vision and Vision+ owners out there: this Summary Guide is for YOU!
It may not be THE "Ultimate" one but I'm sure it will help a lot of phantom's owners.

I'm the kind of guy who just hate to flip thru pages and pages of userguideS looking for stuff when only the important things need to be easily found.

Soooo, I made this "little" guide for all the newbies(to be used as a startup guide) and not so newbies(to be used as a reference/reminder guide) out there.

Almost nothing is from me, except for the hours I spent looking/extracting/formatting/summarizing important information all over the place :).
My sources were:
- Phantom User's Manual
- Naza User's Manual
- Comments found on the net
- Comments found on this site (BTW, if you see something you wrote, please let me know, I'll be glad to put your name on the list)
- Personal experiences

I've extracted what I think is important to know, remember, never forget about flying these birds.
I know, there are Wikis on the Net, but I found out there's always something missing.
Just have a look at my "Pre-Flight Checklist/Tips&Tricks" section, which, I think, is the most complete/detailed ever produce :)

Sections list:
What to Do & Not to Do First
Good to Know before you Go
Starting/Stopping the Motors
DJI Vision / Radar Function
Flight Environment Requirements
Pre-Flight Checklist/Tips & Tricks/Notes
- Inspection
- Power-Up
- DJI Vision
- Ready to Fly
- Know your switches
- Always be prepared for the Worst
- Landing
- Side Notes
Led Status (Phantom, RC & Extender)
Battery Status (RC, Extender & Smart)
Calibration
Naza mode and IOC. Why and How
How to Avoid Fly-Away / Recovering from a Fly-Away
Failsafe / Manual Failsafe
IOC Flight – Course Lock & Home Lock / CL Direction & HL Home Point Recording
Flight Limits (Height/Radius)
Ground Station
Preventive Maintenance Checklist
Phantom and RC Assistant / Camera Update

This guide is assuming that you already have set your Phantom in Naza Mode (dont' forget to turn IOC on...) and that bottom position of S1 switch is set to Failsafe and NOT Manual. BUT it can also be used if you haven't made the switch yet: just forget sections about IOC/HL/CL/ATTI... But I'm telling you, you're missing a lot.
Also, I'm assuming that all your firmware/software are up to date.

I'm open to comment, improvement, correction, new section, and so on. So feel free to contact me anytime.
This is a WIP-"Work in Progress". So if we work together we could made this thing THE Guide for the Phantom Vision.

Here's the link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mv8d1hohc3mceym/DJI Phantom Vision Summary Guide.pdf?dl=0
Let me know what you think.

Enjoy, Fly Safe and Take Care.

Re: THE Ultimate Guide for all Phantom Vision and Vision+ ow

Excellent guide, thank you very much indeed. Pretty much everything, all in one place. Perfect.

Thank you. Great job

Well done! You have obviously put a lot of thought in it. I would add, after compass calibration but before taking off, that you ought to place the Phantom on the ground with its red forward LEDs pointing north. I would add manhole covers to the list of places where you shouldn't take off from (I did, just once, and my Phantom raced off toward a big pine tree too quickly for me to take a deep breath or panic, but somehow it caught itself just before burying itself in the tree). Your guide is well written and reads easily. It does have a couple common typos that you might correct in the next version (fly's instead of flies, a few it's where you mean its, and a that instead than). I think it would be a good idea to have a section about keeping a log - to keep track of flight performance and conditions, flight times, battery use, and battery charging hours and charging cycles, and photographs/videos.

thank you hie work

Great Pumpkin said:
I would add, after compass calibration but before taking off, that you ought to place the Phantom on the ground with its red forward LEDs pointing north.

There is no requirement to point north. That may be a personal preference but shouldn't be put in a general guide. If you plan on using course lock there are other drivers for heading on power up.

Thanks for the handy guide.

Nice response, John. Totally agree. Leave personal preferences out of it, and only include the necessaries... otherwise it'll just lead to confusion.

There's no earthly reason to point your Phantom north. The compass does not calibrate to north on start up so it doesn't care what direction it's facing, it only calibrates when you initiate a calibration. And even then there's no requirement that you be pointing north (wouldn't be much of a compass if it couldn't figure out what direction is north on it's own). Plus, there are valid reasons to point your Phantom in another direction at start-up if you're using the Course Lock feature.

Great Pumpkin said:
Well done! You have obviously put a lot of thought in it. I would add, after compass calibration but before taking off, that you ought to place the Phantom on the ground with its red forward LEDs pointing north. I would add manhole covers to the list of places where you shouldn't take off from (I did, just once, and my Phantom raced off toward a big pine tree too quickly for me to take a deep breath or panic, but somehow it caught itself just before burying itself in the tree). Your guide is well written and reads easily. It does have a couple common typos that you might correct in the next version (fly's instead of flies, a few it's where you mean its, and a that instead than). I think it would be a good idea to have a section about keeping a log - to keep track of flight performance and conditions, flight times, battery use, and battery charging hours and charging cycles, and photographs/videos.

Good point about manholes. I will add it to the guide along with the "top of your car" ;)

About the "it's" and "that", can you point me in the right direction by giving me a few samples from the guide. I would really appreciate.
My Spelling & Grammar checker is not finding anything.

Good news everyone.

My New and Improved Summary Guide is now available (v Aug-22-2014)

I've added lots and lots of new information.
The "Pre-Flight Checklist/Tips & Tricks/Notes" section is now better than ever!!!
Made few corrections here and there.
Add a new "Naza Mode IOC. Why and How" section.
Reorganize the sections a bit.

Section List:
What to Do & Not to Do First
Good to Know before you Go
Starting/Stopping the Motors
DJI Vision / Radar Function
Flight Environment Requirements
Pre-Flight Checklist/Tips & Tricks/Notes
- Inspection
- Power-Up
- DJI Vision
- Ready to Fly
- Know your switches
- Always be prepared for the Worst
- Landing
- Side Notes
Led Status (Phantom, RC & Extender)
Battery Status (RC, Extender & Smart)
Calibration
Naza mode and IOC. Why and How
How to Avoid Fly-Away / Recovering from a Fly-Away
Failsafe / Manual Failsafe
IOC Flight – Course Lock & Home Lock / CL Direction & HL Home Point Recording
Flight Limits (Height/Radius)
Ground Station
Preventive Maintenance Checklist
Phantom and RC Assistant / Camera Update

Be sure to get this latest version or you'll be missing something :D

Here's the link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mv8d1hohc3mceym/DJI Phantom Vision Summary Guide.pdf?dl=0

Enjoy, Take Care and Fly Safely

Re: Sv: THE Ultimate Guide for all Phantom Vision and Vision

Only getting 404. Do you have a backup link?
Thanks.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1408780459266.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1408780459266.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 434

dalton71 said:
Only getting 404. Do you have a backup link?
Thanks.

Dropbox is up and down from time to time.
Try again. Tell me it finally works.

Excellent. I read almost all of it. I especially like your personal observations. After reading, I switched over to Naza mode.

Thanks

Firestat said:
Excellent. I read almost all of it. I especially like your personal observations. After reading, I switched over to Naza mode.

Thanks

Excellent choice ;)

Watch out for my new and improved (yes again) version coming out soon.

Fantomas said:
Watch out for my new and improved (yes again) version coming out soon.

Won't be the last time, I'm sure.
Best to consider this a "living" document, as they say in da biz ;)

Still 404 maybe it's just me?

dalton71 said:
Still 404 maybe it's just me?

Dalton71, send me a personal message with your email, I'll send it directly to you.

Hi everyone,

A new and "improved" version (Aug-26-2014) of the THE guide is now available.

- I've added a lot of new info in the Pre-flight Checklist/Tips & Trick section.
- Made few corrections here and there.
- Paginate

Be sure to download it otherwise you're missing something :)

Here's the link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mv8d1hohc3mce ... e.pdf?dl=0
Let me know what you think.

Enjoy, Fly Safely and Take Care.

Fantomas:
Here are the two incorrect "it's" typos I found in your latest version:
Paragraph above "Cahutch", whatever that is: line 5: should be "its original position", not it's
Second paragraph below "Cahutch": line 2: should be "to correct its position", not it's
I didn't look for the than/that typo.
I have to add that I learned a lot from your guide that I mistakenly thought I already knew. Good work, Fantomas!

Great Pumpkin said:
Fantomas:
Here are the two incorrect "it's" typos I found in your latest version:
Paragraph above "Cahutch", whatever that is: line 5: should be "its original position", not it's
Second paragraph below "Cahutch": line 2: should be "to correct its position", not it's
I didn't look for the than/that typo.
I have to add that I learned a lot from your guide that I mistakenly thought I already knew. Good work, Fantomas!

Thanks. :D
Corrections will be made on my next update.
If you find other typos...sure there are more. Let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj