The Ultimate FC40 FPV Mod (Update 1780m=5840ft +)

Re: The Ultimate FC40 Mod (Update 1410m=4625ft+)

dragonash said:
i would love to see some more detailed pictures of your placement of the board.
How did you mount it? 3M double sided tape?

I also assume the board needs to be facing the proper way for the compass to work correctly.

Hey dragonash ,,

here's how i attached my board to the FC40 (don't laugh) :mrgreen: :

i used a salad container cover :) take the cover off and cut it as follows :

r5gqZI.jpg

u need to reuse the original AR board mount + the (plastic legs) that come with it , to raise the board alil bit so u get some clearance for the USB/Power cable , then insert the plastic under the FC40 cam mount and tighten everything up :)

MhDlg3.jpg

Voila :D

CUliu2.jpg

jeez... i might just need to abandon the OSD portion and just opt for video considering the space requirements

Here is the room i have left with my gimbal.
As you can see, it has a little shelf in the back. But I dont think its long enough for both mainboard and navboard

Attachments

• 20140519_162504.jpg
    20140519_162504.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 851
  • 20140519_162515.jpg
    20140519_162515.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 848
  • 20140519_162525.jpg
    20140519_162525.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 827

dragonash said:
jeez... i might just need to abandon the OSD portion and just opt for video considering the space requirements

Here is the room i have left with my gimbal.
As you can see, it has a little shelf in the back. But I dont think its long enough for both mainboard and navboard

naa that's an easy fix .. u can insert a piece of plastic between the gimbal's controller and the shelf to get the extension u need or better get a $10 Transmitter-Mount ..

something like this :
U7f0Nh.jpg

OR
a81Q9Y.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DJI-Phantom-Qua ... 43c74cce7d

4625ft range??? what am I missing on how you are able to fly that far with the FC40?

oh wait never mind I found it. I dont know how I missed that on the first pages when this post was new.

New World Record :mrgreen:

Still waiting for the amp to be delivered .. antennas used for today's test r 3dbi omni directional on the phantom / 7dbi alfa small directional panel on the Alfa adaptor .. :roll:

Thats awesome Just today when I had my phantom open to hook up a flytrex I seen that the fc40 uses standard mini pci connecters for the antennas tho I had seen pics online that showed them directly soldered in to the receiver board. and wanted to hook up a 3dbi antenna. To see if that helped the flight range any more. But only wanted to do one thing at a time and was in more of a hurry to try out the flytrex so I'll have to wait till the next bad weather day to throw a pci to SMA connector in it and run it to the out side of the shell. Tho the only one I have on hand I was planing to use to put a external antenna on my kindle to make it a super range wifi receiver along with the 8 watt 2.4Ghz signal booster I picked up.

ARDrone Flight Pro app new options .. check out the latest update in first post :cool:

Would upgrading the antennas on the receiver board increase your distance as well?

Old_Rx.jpg

I have been watching ebay and it looks like there is lots of folks buying up the used AR drones both 1 and 2.0. So, how does the price compare buying Main board $48.00 version 1 and $68.00 version 2.0 and Nav board looks like used as low as $30.00 approx. I cannot locate cameras in a brief search. These prices are from Amazon.

So would the above $80.00 investment for version 1 and $100.00 2.0 give a fpv view. I guess we would need camera to superimpose the data over. And since this is not bought with the drone would other stuff be required, such as cables etc, Thanks in advance for guidance with this project. I did win an auction at ebay for an AR drone but I was an idiot and did not realize that there was nothing in the auction that I would want. Oh, I guess the cameras were there but it cost $41.00 is that worth it anyone think?

Thanks to the post below it looks like we could build this mod with good parts for $150.00 for the 2.0 mod. I would guess the cameras are the same for a ar drone 1. Or at least they would work in this situation with the drone 1 main and nav board, is that correct?

Also I have just addressed the flying side, what is needed for a receiver and how much does it cost?

Wedeliver said:
I have been watching ebay and it looks like there is lots of folks buying up the used AR drones both 1 and 2.0. So, how does the price compare buying Main board $48.00 version 1 and $68.00 version 2.0 and Nav board looks like used as low as $30.00 approx. I cannot locate cameras in a brief search. These prices are from Amazon.

So would the above $80.00 investment for version 1 and $100.00 2.0 give a fpv view. I guess we would need camera to superimpose the data over. And since this is not bought with the drone would other stuff be required, such as cables etc, Thanks in advance for guidance with this project. I did win an auction at ebay for an AR drone but I was an idiot and did not realize that there was nothing in the auction that I would want. Oh, I guess the cameras were there but it cost $41.00 is that worth it anyone think?

you have to buy the main body to get the camera
http://centralusdronesales.ecrater.com/ ... ody-bottom

Ya it seems the crashed broken ar 2s are hard to find cheap on ebay. and getting the parts might be easier then hopeing to score a broken ar to get the parts out of.

Would upgrading the antennas on the receiver board increase your distance as well?

It looks like he did. But Im sure it would. Tho upgrading the antennas on even just the transmitter for the FC40 will also increase the stock range drastically.

Just by changing the antenna on the transmitter and useing a small 11bi directinal antenna I have gotten my range up to 1.3 miles or 6864Ft or about 2100m and could of gone farther because I never lost signal the whole time and it only started to come back to me when I flipped out of atti mode in to gps mode at about 2100 meters and due to the naza max distance being set on 2000m it wanted to come back in to the 2000m area. So I'm confidant it could of gone farther then 1.3 miles and even further still if it also had a better antenna on the receiver end of things. Tho I think once past about 1.5 miles is getting a bit to far to go and still havering enough battery with a single battery to safely make it back with some room to spare just in case it hits wind and takes longer to get home then it took to go out. http://www.flytrex.com/mission/quadcopt ... mes-34577/

J.James said:
Ya it seems the crashed broken ar 2s are hard to find cheap on ebay. and getting the parts might be easier then hopeing to score a broken ar to get the parts out of.

It looks like he did. But Im sure it would. Tho upgrading the antennas on even just the transmitter for the FC40 will also increase the stock range drastically.

sorry i wasn't clear about the transmitter side .. the last FPV range test (1410m=4625ft+) was done with a stock transmitter and receiver antennas , am still waiting for few antennas to arrive for both the transmitter and the FPV side .

i'll keep ya all posted ;)

Wedeliver said:

Thanks to the post below it looks like we could build this mod with good parts for $150.00 for the 2.0 mod. I would guess the cameras are the same for a ar drone 1. Or at least they would work in this situation with the drone 1 main and nav board, is that correct?

Also I have just addressed the flying side, what is needed for a receiver and how much does it cost?

Wedeliver ,

the v1.0 cam won't work with the v2.0 board they r 2 different cams with different specs and drivers . if u want my advice , keep an eye on ebay and buy a complete used v2.0 ArDrone, u can then resell the motors / body / cross .. etc .

Re: The Ultimate FC40 FPV Mod (Update 1410m=4625ft+)

So let me get this straight.... You were able to fly an fc40 1410m away without ANY mods to the transmitter or receiver or even the antennas???? wow best I could get by its self on mine was about 700 meters in fcc mode with the stock antennas and 850m if I used a windsurfer reflector on the stock antenna. Even when I first did the antenna mod using a 6 dbi antenna it only bumped me up to 975 meters before it would go out of range. So now 1,410m is really blowing my mind. and making me wonder if I got a bunk transmitter or some thing..

also For your fpv range I seen this today on ebay and looks like a real easy mod to add amplification to the ar's FPV range. they took the guts out of a sunhans 2W WiFi Booster and connected it to the ar main board and attached a wheel antenna to the amp. and they have it so the amp draws its 200Ma power needs from the ar boards power tap.

Parrot AR Drone 2.0 Main Board w/ sunhans 2W WiFi Booster + wheel antenna mod
http://www.ebay.com/itm/131200865663?ss ... 1423.l2649

J.James said:
So let me get this straight.... You were able to fly an fc40 1410m away without ANY mods to the transmitter or receiver or even the antennas???? wow best I could get by its self on mine was about 700 meters in fcc mode with the stock antennas and 850m if I used a windsurfer reflector on the stock antenna. Even when I first did the antenna mod using a 6 dbi antenna it only bumped me up to 975 meters before it would go out of range. So now 1,410m is really blowing my mind. and making me wonder if I got a bunk transmitter or some thing..

i guess am one of those lucky ones with a high output 5.8ghz transmitter :D

take alook at this thread : http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic. ... 2&p=123124

J.James said:
also For your fpv range I seen this today on ebay and looks like a real easy mod to add amplification to the ar's FPV range. they took the guts out of a sunhans 2W WiFi Booster and connected it to the ar main board and attached a wheel antenna to the amp. and they have it so the amp draws its 200Ma power needs from the ar boards power tap.

Parrot AR Drone 2.0 Main Board w/ sunhans 2W WiFi Booster + wheel antenna mod
http://www.ebay.com/itm/131200865663?ss ... 1423.l2649

Yeah i've seen that listing and i do have the sunhans 2.5W , but i won't use it on board , cuz it creates too much interference with both AR and DJI GPS . am planin' to use the Alfa APA05 it's not as powerful as the sunhans , but it'll give me enough boost with my current setup and the BiQuad antenna to reach at least 2500m-3000m.

Code:
i guess am one of those lucky ones with a high output 5.8ghz transmitter :D

Or a combination of that and being in a great environment to get better range. It looks like you are in a desert area and that has me wondering if maybe dry air also may give better range being water and moisture are known to effect radio signals.

Code:
ah i've seen that listing and i do have the sunhans 2.5W , but i won't use it on board , cuz it creates too much interference with both AR and DJI GPS . am planin' to use the Alfa APA05 it's not as powerful as the sunhans , but it'll give me enough boost with my current setup and the BiQuad antenna to reach at least 2500m-3000m.

2500m or more now thats what I talking about wanting to get. I asked the person with the sunhans moded board what kind of range he was able to get and it seems he never ever took it past its stock range and was afraid to ever even fly more then a few 100 meters. So I consider it to be a completely untested mod after he told me that. The words no balls and no guts came to mind. It don't even make any sence why he even moded it at all if to afraid to even go past the back yard. lol Its like a unick wanting to put on a jock strap. or as pointless as boobs without nipples.

Well I took the plunge and bought a Nav board with sensors, a main board, a bottom structure and a Navistick. I hope I can make this work. I am sure I will need some cables etc. Can anyone advise me? thanks

There are cables on the motherboard i bought, not sure but I hope one hooks to the nav board and somehow the cameras plug into all of this. I do wonder about how I will supply power, I think I have read that I can get power from my fc40 battery, I do wonder if I need a pigtail to connect this.

Although it has been a long time I did use erector sets a lot and I think that brackets can be made from that type of girders etc. I wonder about metal, but I think I have seen quadcopter frames made from metal.

Excellent mod.

I can see the credit card coming out again soon !!!

Wedeliver said:
Well I took the plunge and bought a Nav board with sensors, a main board, a bottom structure and a Navistick. I hope I can make this work. I am sure I will need some cables etc. Can anyone advise me? thanks

can ya post few pix of the parts u bought !

Wedeliver said:
There are cables on the motherboard i bought, not sure but I hope one hooks to the nav board and somehow the cameras plug into all of this. I do wonder about how I will supply power, I think I have read that I can get power from my fc40 battery, I do wonder if I need a pigtail to connect this.

for power , u can use the battery balance leads (black&red cables 1&4) .. or use the Auxiliary cable located under the front right leg .

did the battery mod today .. check out the first page . :cool:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20