The Truth About The Part 107 Written Test...

What is the UAV Coach Drone Pilot Ground School. Is that a class you took, or a study guide? I'm in the same position. Just got my drone, and would like to fly commercially, but don't know where to even begin to study for the test.
I also started about two months ago with no experience. I read Sarah Nielssons guide and was extremely confused. Jason's course summed it all up for me.

I also started about two months ago with no experience. I read Sarah Nielssons guide and was extremely confused. Jason's course summed it all up for me.
Thanks I'm going to get his course most likely this Friday. Also, how do you find out where to take the exam or sign up for it?

What is the UAV Coach Drone Pilot Ground School. Is that a class you took, or a study guide? I'm in the same position. Just got my drone, and would like to fly commercially, but don't know where to even begin to study for the test.
Sorry, I just saw your question. It is a company with website UAVCoach.com They offer the tutorial Drone Pilot Ground School. It's $299 with lifetime access and it will be updated as new material/guidelines are added or changed as the industry grow. I figure I can take the course and pass the first time around and then have the training to go back to every 2 years when you have to re-certify.

Try getting a copy of the FAR/AIM with the regs. Typically it will have an index with suggested study areas for the certificate you are working on. In the case of sUAS you would look at Part 107. You can get a copy of the FAR/AIM for free from the FAA website or you can buy a handy app version from just about anywhere. Look at the app store on your phone. As a sUAS remote pilot you will be responsible for knowing the regs and its a handy reference. Almost nobody buys the printed copy anymore, the app usually costs $8 but it is constantly updated as the regs are updated. Other suggestions would be to focus on airspace, weather, weight and balance, and specific regs on sUAS such as maximum altitude, day operation, navigation lights, roles of the remote pilot, observers, etc. Try going to FAASafety.gov and look for sUAS there is a whole online course that has references you can look at. Other sites like AOPA.Org can give you information.

The truth is that you can't study enough. I own and appreciate the remote pilot 101 course. It did help. I did pass yesterday. That course along with other sources including the faa study manual helped. But my mistake, which cost me a higher score, was completing study and relying soley on practice exams to gauge being ready. From a few practice exam sources, I really felt as though I had the questions that would be at hand nailed down. Those questions were a minority on my test and the ones that did show up were worded differently, including the answers. If you aren't prepared to apply the information learned from study to any question they throw at you, you aren't ready. It was stressful and I didn't think I passed, but I did. My advice is if you think you're ready, take another week and study more. The test was a challenge, the questions almost in whole were a surprise to what I was expecting, and I took 90 minutes to complete. In 24 months from now, I have to study more fully. That's the truth. Good luck all.

My $.02. I took and passed the 107 test four hours ago. Got an 87% which amounted to eight wrong out of 60 questions. My test did not have any additional questions in it. When I looked at the questions I got wrong, they amounted to two weather questions, three airspace questions, two operations questions (though really airspace understanding - i.e. a 977ft tower has to be inspected, do you need authorization to inspect it in C airspace that begins at 1500 feet? I said no...but it was a trick because to fly about 400 feet it said I needed authorization. I thought we were allowed to fly 400 feet above buildings and structures. My bad.) and one random 'where do you find info' question.

Echoing Jason at RP101 - the test is legit. I studied for about seven days, watched every video available that shared test questions, took a 130-question test online on which I got a 92% (so not much different than my actual score), and bought and read MOST of the UAS Remote Pilot Test Prep ISBN 978-1-61954-468-0 The book was $20 and well worth it.

From the videos I watched, about 50% of them were Jason doing Remote Pilot 101 pieces and webinars and he's a great teacher. If I had commercial assignments lined up already, I would have paid the $$ and done his course to virtually guarantee a passing score. His examples and manner of teaching work great for visual learners and anyone who needs perspective and examples. FURTHER, and this would be great to have, having someone to ask questions of could be invaluable if you're still lost in a certain subject area.

That's about it from here. Now it's hurry up and wait 48 hours to do IACRA and get my actual license.

Let me start by saying the test is legit. A lot of our customers thought we were crazy and perhaps “over-preparing” them with knowledge they wouldn’t need but nothing could be further from the truth.

We’ve been helping pilots of manned aircraft prepare for FAA written tests for 10 years so we know how the FAA can be when it comes to testing.

If you think just reading the Pilots Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge (PHAK) will do it (a 600 page tome mind you) or the FAA study guide they send when you sign up for the test - - which is good, but only scratches the surface - - you’ll be setting yourself up for failure.

The test is SO HEAVY in VFR Sectional Charts, Airspace, METARS, TAFs, and scenario based questioning.

They even go as far to ask about sUAS stall characteristics with an aft CG and performance based on load factor.

For example could you read this TAF?

KOKC 051130Z 0512/0618 14008KT 5SM BR BKN030
TEMPO 0513/0516 1 1/2SM BR
FM051600 18010KT P6SM SKC
BECMG 0522/0524 20013G20KT 4SM SHRA OVC020
PROB40 0600/0606 2SM TSRA OVC008CB
BECMG 0606/0608 21015KT P6SM SCT040=

Thats one of the actual TAF’s used on the test. A question might read “What is the weather expected to be at OKC for a flight at 10:00 local?” (Expecting you to know how to convert that into Zulu Time.)

It’s not the kind of test most of us could just show up to and get a passing score.

I’m not here to just push our course on anyone, I’m here to deliver value and make us all safer more capable pilots. This is real world info you’ll be using to submit for certificate’s of wavier and make smart flying decisions. Our course is your course for life so come 2 years from now when you need to test again it’s yours.

A lot of the folks in this forum have used Remote Pilot 101 to pass the written test and I’m sure if you have more questions they would be happy to share.

I encourage you all whether you choose our course or not to study it hard and get a real understanding of the material not just a rote memorization.

Jason Schappert
RemotePilot101.com
Yes all the great study aids out there are great, but until the FAA fixes this 107 Exemption mess, getting your UAV Pilot certification does nothing to allow you to use your drone easily - waiting 90 days for an exemption is a joke. I don't know what air space I am possibly going to need clearance for before a day or two prior to the appointment - FAA's solution was to submit 107 Airspace exemptions for all the airport I might need clearance - I live in the Dallas-Ft. Worth area - trying to submit all those exemptions is ridiculous - the LAANC stuff needs to get released and fast and it needs to be real time and quick approval ...... Oh, congrats on passing the test.........and not to take a shot at your accomplishment but why would drone pilot need to know what the weather is going to be at OKC at 10 AM or ZULU.......if its raining, too windy, snowing, foggy you can't fly a drone, interpreting the airport coded weather report is of no practical use for a drone pilots - I feel so much better and again - Jason, good job, I was quite pleased when I passed the test as well.........

Requiring knowledge of TAFs and ERFs for a vehicle that is operated in LOS is ridiculous. That may not bear any relevance to your business because you only train people to comply with the laws, but the laws are ridiculous. If you operate a CIA drone that crosses national borders and weighs thousands of pounds and carries hellfire missiles, it might be relevant. Otherwise, you just look outside and see that there's no rain to short out your motor windings and you go fly.

This whole Part 107 thing is just another federal government usurpation of rights undefined and which the federal government has absolutely no authority under the 10th Amendment.
AMEN!!!!

My $.02. I took and passed the 107 test four hours ago. Got an 87% which amounted to eight wrong out of 60 questions. My test did not have any additional questions in it. When I looked at the questions I got wrong, they amounted to two weather questions, three airspace questions, two operations questions (though really airspace understanding - i.e. a 977ft tower has to be inspected, do you need authorization to inspect it in C airspace that begins at 1500 feet? I said no...but it was a trick because to fly about 400 feet it said I needed authorization. I thought we were allowed to fly 400 feet above buildings and structures. My bad.)

You are allowed to fly 400 feet above structures, BUT you are still required to meet airspace requirements. The 400-foot rule does not supersede the need for airspace authorizations in Classes B, C, D, or surface-E.

Reactions: jeffcutler
You are allowed to fly 400 feet above structures, BUT you are still required to meet airspace requirements. The 400-foot rule does not supersede the need for airspace authorizations in Classes B, C, D, or surface-E.
Unless I am wrong and that’s a good possibility you need 107 exemption to fly I air space mentioned above no matter the altitude - I called an airport to let them know I was inspecting a roof no higher than 50’ guy at airport wanted my 107 exemption number

The authorizations mentioned do apply only to those flying under Part 107.

Reactions: BigAl07
I am not s
The authorizations mentioned do apply only to those flying under Part 107.
ure what your statement mean I have a UAV certificationthe airport said that doesn’t matter I needed a 107 exemption could u expand on your statement obvious I don’t understand

I am not s

ure what your statement mean I have a UAV certificationthe airport said that doesn’t matter I needed a 107 exemption could u expand on your statement obvious I don’t understand

You're mixing Apples & Oranges.

To do any Civil Aerial Operations you are required to have Part 107 RPIC Certification (I'm assuming that is what you mean by UAV certification yes?) and then as a Part 107 Operator you have to have Authorization to fly in ATC Controlled airspace. You can't get an authorization without first having your Part 107 RPIC certificate so they don't ask for that just your Authorization #.

In order to fly in B, C,D, and E airspace you have to apply for and be granted an Airspace Authorization or an Airspace Waiver. That is what ATC was asking for because once you're granted the Authorization or Waiver (and yours will have a unique # ) it will be on file at that facility to be referenced.

I am not s

I'm sorry, but I don't have a clue what you're saying. Could use a few periods in there. Also there is no such thing as a 107 exemption.

I'm sorry, but I don't have a clue what you're saying. Could use a few periods in there. Also there is no such thing as a 107 exemption.
Sorry - typing from an iPhone is a little tedious. What I was trying to ask was what is meant by "flying under part 107". I thought, even though one has a UAV Pilots Certificate, that when in certain airspace a 107 Authorization is required (is that "flying under 107"). For example, I was in Class D airspace a few days ago. I was inspecting a property and I use a drone to do inaccessible roofs. I called the regional airport and was asked for my 107 Authorization number. They told me, even though I was about 3 miles from the airport I could not fly. When I called the FAA to get some clarification, they suggested I apply for 107 Air Space Authorizations for airports in the Dallas-Fort Worth area.

You are flying under Part 107 of the FARs whenever you are not flying recreationally. Part 107 refers to commercial operations. If you have a Remote Pilot certificate from the FAA, that allows you to fly under Part 107.

To get authorization to fly at a Class B, C, D, or surface-area E airport, you must make an application for an Airspace Authorization. This is normally done using the FAA's internet portal, but the new LAANC system is slowly starting to come to live and there are a couple of third-party providers that are providing access to that.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1