The technology is getting scary. Cool! But scary.

SubHuman said:
Lexus ad featuring real multicopters flying with perfectly choreographed precision.

As much as you'd like to think it, the 'copters are 100% real...

http://gizmodo.com/you-wont-believe-the ... 1460768867

Haha... unfortunately not true! The reason I know?...look at my forum name - it gives you a clue what industry I work in ;) .
Another reason I can say categorically that a lot of these are CG is because my daughter is a compositor and works at The Mill (The Post House that worked on this ad).
Yes there are real quads in there but every and I mean EVERY shot has been augmented, enhanced altered, composited and had the life matted out of it along with some scenes that are entirely CG .
There was an awful lot of automated quad flying that went into the production but I can assure you the real magic was done behind the scenes plate by plate being rotoscoped and composited to within an inch of their lives.
Unfortunately the post houses go unnoticed in so many productions and a lot of the time you will not even be aware of the work they do (Taking clouds out of a sky to produce a clear blue scene, turning day into night and adding headlight beams and shadows to cars that didn't even have their lights turned on, putting glass into a window pane and adding the reflections for a window that was never there). The list is endless but one thing I can say with impunity - NEVER believe what you see on screen :lol:

Sorry to burst peoples bubbles :|

The Editor said:

I thought at first it was pretty much all cgi but this shows some behind the scenes work with a bunch of quads and how it was done.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1ShuAEIfGw[/youtube]

Im sure every frame got touched up in after affects but looks like quite a bit was real quads in flight. I also think all the shots with lots of them in frame are cgi but the shots with just a few flying around are most likely the real thing, there would be little reason to go to all that trouble to end up doing the entire thing in after effects. You also wouldn't bother putting motion capture reflectors above each rotor if you were going to do it all with cgi.

martcerv said:
The Editor said:

I thought at first it was pretty much all cgi but this shows some behind the scenes work with a bunch of quads and how it was done.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1ShuAEIfGw[/youtube]

Im sure every frame got touched up in after affects but looks like quite a bit was real quads in flight. I also think all the shots with lots of them in frame are cgi but the shots with just a few flying around are most likely the real thing, there would be little reason to go to all that trouble to end up doing the entire thing in after effects. You also wouldn't bother putting motion capture reflectors above each rotor if you were going to do it all with cgi.
There ARE real quads in there (said that above) but nowhere near as many as you see on screen and they didn't always move exactly as the director wanted them to (it just wasn't possible in the timeframe available).
As happens in so many productions, where things go wrong they are rescued in post.
It's a subject that's very dear to my heart as the post production houses are the sweatshops of the western world. They work incredibly long hours and unless their work involves creating monsters or explosions they go unnoticed.

Sorry.... soapbox moment over :) .... Yes quads WERE used in this ad but it didn't all go according to plan!

P.S ... No work was done using After Effects, it's just not really used anymore by the big houses. Mostly Nuke, Maya, Boujou and others. Also AE is not a 3d modeling tool so you cant do CG with it. It's only really a compositing tool with some motion tracking capabilities (although not great) and some other bits thrown in. It's a sort of compositing compendium toolbox but there are far more powerful, faster and purpose built progs out there.
Colour correction was done with DaVinci with some time put in on the Flame suite for speed.
I will shut up now and go back to my edit suite in the dark :)

Dave Pitman said:
PhantomFan said:
Ehhh...that's nuthin'. :lol: Check THIS out. It blew my mind when I saw it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2itwFJCgFQ

PF

Pretty cool.

That algorithm that adapted to clipped propellers would be a nice addition to our flight controllers!

already implemented for hexes

Attitude Controllable When One Motor Output is Failed

For Hexa-rotor, including Hexa-rotor I, Hexa-rotor V, Hexa-rotor IY and Hexa-rotor Y, aircraft is attitude controllable
when one motor output is failed.
The NAZA-M can still control the attitude of the Hexa-rotor for a safe landing when one motor output of the
Hexa-rotor has failed, for example, one motor is stopped or one propeller is broken, etc.
The control mode of NAZA-M should be in Atti. Mode or GPS Atti. Mode. The aircraft will rotate, due to an
imbalance of torque; however, it can still be controlled by the Transmitter.
Select Course lock or home lock mode for flying the aircraft into a safe area to land when the aircraft is far away or
the attitude can’t be recognized. Even when the multi rotor is rotating, using Course lock or home lock mode will
allow you to move the multi rotor in the corresponding Transmitter stick direction.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic