The sum is more than the parts.......Or is it?

Reaction score
New owner of a P3, 2 years flying V2. Just curious why people who suffer a crash or other calamity try to buy the single piece needed for repair. If me, I would just buy a new bird and sell the remaining bits for a tidy profit. Hmmm..

Reactions: skyhighdiver
Why buy a new bird when it may be a $19.00 ESC. As has been proven...

Reactions: QuikSilver15
Why buy a new bird when it may be a $19.00 ESC. As has been proven...

Please tell me a part that costs $19 to fix a phantom from either defectiveness or a crash without the obvious propellers. In other words there are barely any parts for $19.

image.jpg
The ESC is located next to the motors under the shell there are the two front ones that have red led's and the back ones that have green led's. Each of those controls the motors. If you landed in tall grass or agree and a propeller was stopped from turning and it burned up and ESC it would be around $19.00 for that part with a little soldering technique. Now why speed $1200 for a $19.00 part?
This diagram is just an example.

Reactions: Jbundy63
View attachment 22826 The ESC is located next to the motors under the shell there are the two front ones that have red led's and the back ones that have green led's. Each of those controls the motors. If you landed in tall grass or agree and a propeller was stopped from turning and it burned up and ESC it would be around $19.00 for that part with a little soldering technique. Now why speed $1200 for a $19.00 part?
This diagram is just an example.
yours is a phantom 2 not a p3 as seen here no replacements
CDGSK-9UIAAGBKh.jpg

I was thinking more in terms of broken cameras, gimbals or body shells. Major damage requiring expensive parts. Rather than spend 6-7 hundred on a new gimbal/camera, why not buy a new unit, take the parts you need and sell the rest? You could sell the shell for 400 easily, the controller for the same, np selling the battery and charger for 150.....Which would leave you with a new part for very minimal cost.

I was thinking more in terms of broken cameras, gimbals or body shells. Major damage requiring expensive parts. Rather than spend 6-7 hundred on a new gimbal/camera, why not buy a new unit, take the parts you need and sell the rest? You could sell the shell for 400 easily, the controller for the same, np selling the battery and charger for 150.....Which would leave you with a new part for very minimal cost.
Did this when I crashed my first P2V wrecked the gimbal. Tore it apart sold the pieces (even the broken gimbal) and made $40.00 over the cost of a new P2V made me feel better about the crash:oops:

Reactions: Rick K
There is some validity to your idea If you know who would buy a shell for 400 and the controller for the same and the other stuff why even wait till you break any thing to sell your parts??????

lol you could sell your shell and controller then buy an advanced one for 999 and put your camrea on that and have a new one. and sell your props for 18 a set and also the board and motors from the advanced and actually make out a head.

Tho the big key is finding some one thats got a p3 and no remote that wants to buy a replacement when its usually the other way around for most people and they end up with a remote after they lose of crash there bird. and the shell seems like 400 would be a real hard sell esp if its not brand spanking new and if you ever had a crash or what ever damaged your p3 in the first place. But for the most part it would also have to be now and before new parts are really rolled out more. But even with the other phantoms like a p2vision and + the parts do add up to more then the cost of a whole new rig. If some one parted them out.

Reactions: Rick K
There is some validity to your idea If you know who would buy a shell for 400 and the controller for the same and the other stuff why even wait till you break any thing to sell your parts??????

lol you could sell your shell and controller then buy an advanced one for 999 and put your camrea on that and have a new one. and sell your props for 18 a set and also the board and motors from the advanced and actually make out a head.

Tho the big key is finding some one thats got a p3 and no remote that wants to buy a replacement when its usually the other way around for most people and they end up with a remote after they lose of crash there bird. and the shell seems like 400 would be a real hard sell esp if its not brand spanking new and if you ever had a crash or what ever damaged your p3 in the first place. But for the most part it would also have to be now and before new parts are really rolled out more. But even with the other phantoms like a p2vision and + the parts do add up to more then the cost of a whole new rig. If some one parted them out.

You make a good point about the time factor, definitely a short window of opportunity.
If I had the time though...buy 10 units and part them out. Easily cash out 3k.
Look at the availability of new parts for discounted prices, virtually zero.
As far as the market for the parts? LOL. Let's just say this wide and wacky world will provide
many buyers.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic