The Phantom pit! What have you spent?

Since owning mine I have too confess to modding it :cool: tarot gimbal , fat shark FPV , fibre optic for FPV camera ( when not using go pro as FPV ) .carbon props etc twin batteries ,last night a futaba t8 :lol:

Still it's fairly cheap hobby compared to my other hobbies , which is koi carp and a 700+bhp race car :lol:

Glockindahaus said:
Your designs rock! I actually customized the undercarriage tray by slicing out an area for my gimbal. Also, waiting on a replacement part. Im going to paint them and install them after that. I'll definitely post my final setup sometime soon in the forums.

Keep on designing! And if you want some ideas...

A double battery cage..A Fatshark TX + ImmersionRC OSD holder (side by side or stacked), undercarriage with cut out for gimbal (did it myself easily, but might be a nice addition to your line)

Thanks for all the hard work!

Thank you so much for those kind words... makes all the difference. I have sold a fair few so I know there are people out there but I've heard little back from owners so it is really pleasing to know you are happy with them. I'd love to see the mods you've done to it for the gimbal too... PM me with pics if you ever take any.

Currently (slowly) working on a couple more ideas/designs. I'll bear your ideas in mind but my word would she be a weighty beast with all that kit on it! Feel free to PM if you have suggestions (same goes to everyone!).... best look at my credit card statement and start some weekend e-shopping :twisted:

Nwales - 700+ bhp race car... I thought I was in financial strife owning/running an Impreza Sti and a Phantom!!

Nwales - 700+ bhp race car... I thought I was in financial strife owning/running an Impreza Sti and a Phantom!!

That's jap cars for you :lol: mines a Mitsubishi evo 7 ,built by Norris designs .recently put a Drenth sequential box in ,hence my comment this phantom hobby is fairly cheap :lol:

Phantom 700.00
PhantomountX2 135.00
Servos's 100.00
Case 200.00
second Phantom 700.00
Already had the gopro
Carbon props 40.00
Batteries 80.00

Total $1955.00

Audaciter said:
I wouldn't like to add up all the expenses, and see the total, too depressing. But for me, this whole thing has been
about keeping my mind active, to help deal with anxiety, and depression issues, and I would gladly spend double the
amount, for the relief it has brought. As has the interaction with all of you here on this forum. ;)

+1
My wife says I'm happier than I've been in a long time.
I add up the $ because I find it interesting to see all the stuff that goes into getting quality video. I find other things more depressing than that so this doesn't bother me.

I've got 2 phantoms and a Phantom flyaway. I have about $3000 invested in everything which included the Hero3 attached to the flyaway. I have a great stock of spare parts too. I didn't do too bad, the last phantom is the melted one that was on E-bay. I just got it flying with a new case and all.

Nwales said:

That's jap cars for you :lol: mines a Mitsubishi evo 7 ,built by Norris designs .recently put a Drenth sequential box in ,hence my comment this phantom hobby is fairly cheap :lol:
Heheh, I'm in Shropshire and am running both a Castrol-liveried Celica GT-Four and an E61 M5 Touring - those two combined definitely make the Phantom expenditure seem tiny in comparison!

(although, don't tell the missus, but I've just spent another £115 on a set of TMotor MN2214 anti-gravity motors for it!)

BTW, Dewey - haven't forgotten about the photos for you, will hopefully get them sent over today!

gazchap said:
Nwales said:

Heheh, I'm in Shropshire and am running both a Castrol-liveried Celica GT-Four and an E61 M5 Touring - those two combined definitely make the Phantom expenditure seem tiny in comparison!

(although, don't tell the missus, but I've just spent another £115 on a set of TMotor MN2214 anti-gravity motors for it!)

BTW, Dewey - haven't forgotten about the photos for you, will hopefully get them sent over today!

Ok you gear heads! Take that thread to "top fuel junkies!" :D

Now how much green have ya spent on this **** quad?!

well i just set up the new futaba t8, thankfully there are vids on youtube on setting it up :lol:

think all in so far i spent around £1200 ish

THREAD REVIVAL!

I've been wanting to add to this thread, but never got to it, now people are looking at the price of the vision, it makes this thread all the more relevant again!

So, my list! . . . Hold on tight!

DJI Phantom $750
CF dual battery plate $25
Y adaptor $10
4x 11.1v li-po batteries $100
Capacity checker $5
4x 12v > 11.1v balance chargers $20
Imax B6 + 6 way board $80
Ammo box $30
Misc cabling for charging box $30
Lipo bags $15
Shapeways CF V3 legs $20
Storage/transport tubs $50
Foam for tubs $50
Spare blades $45
Prop Balancer $15
Tri blades $40
Nylock nuts $10

Stock Controller
- ShapeWays 7th Ch Lever $15
- Shapeways throttle centre return mod $15
- 7" LCD $60
LCD mount $15
SD Pocket DVR $80
12v 6800Mah li-ion battery $15

GoPro Hero3 Black Edition $380
(5x 16Gb sandisk ultra SD @$15ea)
Vid out cables x3 $15
Breakout board for video out and external L/R mic in* $120
2-Axis Servo Gimbal w/ Jello Isolation mount $50
5.8ghz 200mw live Video transmitter $56
Cloverleaf Antenna $20
CF Transmitter mount plate $17
FireBug OSD w/SD logger $99
Current sensor $20
Misc extras $50

Total: $2397+ anything else I had forgotten

*yet to install/test

Now the majority of the extras I have bought would be negated by buying a vision (not including the idevice to view the live feed). If anybody would like a link to where I bought a particular item let me know, but the vast majority came from eBay :)

If I get super technical and count everything from shipping to the cost of driving 2 hours one way to my hobby shop and everything involved with DJI stuff (both the phantom and my 450), I'm looking at just shy of $5000. Money I'll never get back and about $1200 of it is money spent to fix things when I crash. I got into the hobby because ammo was getting too expensive to go shooting all the time but now that I'm doing the math, I've spent way more on these than I have on ammo and I spend more time on the range than I do in the air. Anyone want to trade ammo for a phantom and 450?

Hello
I am new to this forum and this would be my first post
"When I die, please do not let my wife sell my Phantom as I said, cost me" ;)

Phantom 1.1.1 $399, extra phantom battery $20, 3 maddog $99, gimbal $159, a $10 makeshift gimbal before I realized I needed a 2 axis, and I just ordered a $169 boscam LCD, $177 for
Immersion RC spironets, patch antenna, and 600mx tx.

Plus over $1200 for my other rc helis that got me into the hobby in the first place.

Edit: and the gopro hero 3+black for $399 and vision props x 8 for $60

Phantom 1 $0...........bday gift from my future wife.
GP H3B $0...........christmas gift from same girl.
Fatshark predatorV2 $0...........christmas gift from step-dad.
P2 shell $70
TP 5400 battery $100
Walkera 5200 batteries(2) $55 and $56
9443 carbon props $18
Dynymite 10A charger $109
Upgrade board $70
iOSD $70
gram scale $11
wires/connectors $10

Total $569

Still need antennas, so add $40 :cool:

I'll get in on this so I can try and stitch together my history of purchases. Don't remember all the prices but I will need to calculate all this for 2013 tax purposes which have to be completed very soon or file for extension.

Phantom 1 early Feb, 2013 purchase
New replacement shell fix cracks near motors
2 sets of extra blk props
New landing gear, I painted them black
Sony action cam non wifi
Extra action cam accessories, car suction cup, extra weather proof case, adjustable mount, etc.
16 gig mirco SD card
2 extra 2200 batteries
duo-bro prop balancer
Dean connectors
AA rechargeable batteries for radio
Anti-jello CF mount for camera

2014 Purchase
Phantom 2
Zenmuse H3-2D Gimbal
Dji 5.8 video card
Dji mini IOSD
Dji fpv hub wires
2 x 5000 mah batteries
Gopro hard case
Extra set of self tightening props
Gopro hero 3+ black edition
30gig micro SD card
8"no blue screen fpv display
Set of CF self-tightening props
Lipo battery tester

On my 3rd Phantom, about to be on my 4th... nuff said.

Owning a Phantom is like throwing money into a hole in the sky!
SmileyMoneyLots.gif

Paid 1500 dollars for my whole Phantom 2 package as listed. Was a lot of money to part with but I knew it was too good a deal to pass up. Missed my Phantom 1 so much and never thought I'd spend the money for another with all the goodies on it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers