THE PARTY IS OVER!! BACK UP APPS AND BLOCK UPDATES

Reaction score
DJI is taking full control of what third party developers can do with their copters by issuing a new firmware that can NOT be rolled back, and that will be automatically installed through the DJI Go app, and will not be compatable with any current third party apps.

I am assuming this is so that they can enforce restrictions on all the apps created to run the drone such as limited range so it can't be flown past visual contact, altitude restrictions, speed restrictions, restrictions on autonomous flight (such as having to fly the mission manually to set waypoints), and limitations on the number of video transmission channels, most of which have already been implemented in the Go App.

Not having these restrictions was one of the huge benefits from having a 3rd party app instead of the Go app.

Does anyone have any info on this new firmware?

I plan to stay away from it as long as possible!

DJI is taking full control of what third party developers can do with their copters by issuing a new firmware that can NOT be rolled back, and that will be automatically installed through the DJI Go app, and will not be compatable with any current third party apps.

I am assuming this is so that they can enforce restrictions on all the apps created to run the drone such as limited range so it can't be flown past visual contact, altitude restrictions, speed restrictions, restrictions on autonomous flight (such as having to fly the mission manually to set waypoints), and limitations on the number of video transmission channels, most of which have already been implemented in the Go App.

Not having these restrictions was one of the huge benefits from having a 3rd party app instead of the Go app.

Can you supply a link please?

Um, you were the one posting this so I'd guess _you'd_ have the info, no? Where are you getting this information from?

Um, you were the one posting this so I'd guess _you'd_ have the info, no? Where are you getting this information from?

Dear DJI Developer:

A new encryption protocol will shortly be implemented. Please ensure that your app is updated to ensure continued use by downloading DJI Mobile SDK v2.4.0 at http://developer.dji.com/en/mobile-sdk/downloads/. Apps not updated to v2.4.0 will cease to be functional.

Besides some useful new features and bug fixes, DJI Mobile SDK v2.4.0 also includes an important security update that will significantly impact legacy applications starting from late October 2015. In other words, applications developed with earlier SDK versions will no longer be able to communicate with the Remote Controller. Please read the following for full details.

New iOS & Android SDK Features:

1. Access to Main Controller’s Serial Number
2. Access to aircraft type identification
3. Video hardware decoder library
4. New sync & download feature for the Inspire 1 and Phantom 3 Professional

This only says earlier sdk won't be able to access the controller. New sdk has bug fixes and new features listed. Where do you get bad news from this?

Dear DJI Developer:

A new encryption protocol will shortly be implemented. Please ensure that your app is updated to ensure continued use by downloading DJI Mobile SDK v2.4.0 at http://developer.dji.com/en/mobile-sdk/downloads/. Apps not updated to v2.4.0 will cease to be functional.

Besides some useful new features and bug fixes, DJI Mobile SDK v2.4.0 also includes an important security update that will significantly impact legacy applications starting from late October 2015. In other words, applications developed with earlier SDK versions will no longer be able to communicate with the Remote Controller. Please read the following for full details.

New iOS & Android SDK Features:

1. Access to Main Controller’s Serial Number
2. Access to aircraft type identification
3. Video hardware decoder library
4. New sync & download feature for the Inspire 1 and Phantom 3 Professional

From that you got the following:

It seems to me that they not only mentioned nothing about what you stated but there is not even a sliver of indication that thus might be the case. I'm sorry but what you posted was a lot of BS.

What is _does_ appear to add is the ability to trace the drone to the controller. Most likely this information will be tied into your account and recorded by DJI.

Reactions: nickyb
This email was brought up yesterday in the "new android app" thread. My thoughts were that the ability to identify the owner plus the new encryption protocol are being implemented so that authorities would have the much wanted ability to identify and locate a rogue drone owner doing bad things.
I was just reading about it last month in this Reuters story. My guess is that the ability to identify an owner will be required in all drones and in time for holiday sales when our numbers will increase.

Just to be clear, I am only speculating based on the current climate and that DJI is making such a big change that it renders prior apps non functional unless they include the ability to identify the aircraft.

I promise I am not trying to start a rumor or claim any sort of conspiracy. I'm just putting two and two together and perhaps reading the writing on the wall. I fully admit that I could be completely wrong. It wouldn't be the first or last time!

This email was brought up yesterday in the "new android app" thread. My thoughts were that the ability to identify the owner plus the new encryption protocol are being implemented so that authorities would have the much wanted ability to identify and locate a rogue drone owner doing bad things.
I was just reading about it last month in this Reuters story. My guess is that the ability to identify an owner will be required in all drones and in time for holiday sales when our numbers will increase.

Just to be clear, I am only speculating based on the current climate and that DJI is making such a big change that it renders prior apps non functional unless they include the ability to identify the aircraft.

I promise I am not trying to start a rumor or claim any sort of conspiracy. I'm just putting two and two together and perhaps reading the writing on the wall. I fully admit that I could be completely wrong. It wouldn't be the first or last time!
You said it yourself. You read a reuters story.......that's all it is, a story......for now

Reactions: Oso
still probably a good idea to backup the app on ios anyway.
they will eventually do stuff you dont like and the current firmware +app flies just fine

Wow this is so much BS Fud you are spreading. All that happened is they upgraded encryption between the controllers. A very smart thing. That means apps going forward have to support one or the other encryption or support two different apps for people without the update. It sucks for compatibility but fixed a flaw in encryption. I say this as a member of the DJI developer program and an iOS developer. Please stopping spreading BS

Reactions: Cyclone and nickyb
I got this email also but saw no reason to toot a horn over it. They are changing how the R/C communicates which will not work with older apps that have not been updated.

I still don't know why someone could just not update the R/C firmware that is said to be by the end of October. Use everything as it is, and never update, or update to whatever dji's next agenda is.

It is and will working with Ultimate Flight..... (also 3rd party app)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20