The P4P has landed - and almost ...

Reaction score
FedEx finally appeared at about 15:00.
  • Charged up a batt, but config'd the drone in the meantime.
  • Bought the Care Refresh.
  • Used one of the new "not charged" batts to do a very quick test flight in the parking lot. Great!

After work went to the golf course and did the settings more carefully.

Fired it up again. When the motors started up there was a strong gust of wind. I was head down in the app but my (green with envy friend) saw the P4P tip over, motors running, and then right itself. Could have been ... disappointing. I have to remember this thing sits quite high compared to the Mavic and be more careful in gusty winds. Maybe get a couple mini wind socks set 10 m upwind?

Did a few test flights of about 4 - 5 minutes each. An S mode run at full tilt (90 m up), recorded some video...

Harder to orient heads up due to the square shape.

Pretty windy. Each landing - using a landing pad - required patience in the wind and gusts.

But wow! I am very happy with this machine! Warming weather here will see me out there a lot over the next couple weeks!

Well done. I have always landed rather than hand catch. As it gets closer to the ground, easing very gradually the throttle, it'll get into ground effect where it seems to smooth out even in gusty conditions. If not, bring her up a bit and stand upwind to block the wind some. It'll set down very gently.

Reactions: AlanTheBeast
Well done. I have always landed rather than hand catch. As it gets closer to the ground, easing very gradually the throttle, it'll get into ground effect where it seems to smooth out even in gusty conditions. If not, bring her up a bit and stand upwind to block the wind some. It'll set down very gently.

Good points.

I was thinking of blocking too. Indeed I had told my buddy to move his car so there would be no obstructions. Would have been better to leave his car there!

I didn't even think of a hand catch. But really, in difficult wind it could be a better alternative to landing in gusty winds. Need to practice that with the P4P and the Mavic.

Didn't mention it but the 2nd landing was a RTH from about 400 m out / 91 m height after a very careful ascent from the landing pad (3/4" plywood). It RTH'd all the way to the plywood - but one skid was close to the edge - I'm not happy thinking what could have happened if one skid had fallen off of the edge... may need a thinner sheet of plywood - but I want something that won't lift in windy spots.

What works great with the Mavic is not the right sauce for the P4P. I'll try to get out again tomorrow but there is a small fall (2-4 cm) of snow expected over the day ... Saturday looks better.

I would suggest : have patience. Don't be in hurry to fly. Check everything before flying it. And and never take off with partially charged batteries.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj