The P3 and Solo Side By Side Flight Comparison Sold Me :)

YES!

Screenshot_2015-06-20-07-40-02.png

Reactions: AmosMoses
To each their own, but I hate fisheye. I returned my p2v+ because there was too much distortion even in narrow.

My understanding with the GoPro is you can't film in 4K or UHD without the fisheye.

I love the looks of the solo, but not enough to give up a nearly flat lens.
I agree that the fisheye sucks... but there are ways to remove that in post. For example check out these two videos that I took with my P2V+. You won't see the slightest hint of fish eye even though they were taken with the P2V+:

and

That being said... it's always bette to start with footage that doesn't have fish-eye lens since when you DO have to use lens correction in post you lose sharpness. That's why I love my new P3P so much. There's still a slight amount of curve to the footage but not enough for me to feel the need to remove it in post.

Reactions: ctp
And on Sole you must set camera to narrow so the legs don't show :(
Maybe gimble will help, but no one knows yet, lol.

He didn't really talk about the huge range advantage of the P3.

This is true. The Solo will go 2.5 miles with an antenna kit and the P3 will probably do 4K. The P3 spanks the solo for sure !

That said...
1259 USD, better camera, available now...
vs
1800 USD, lesser camera (GP4black), gimbal not yet available...

Yea the Solo is way more expensive and no gimbal yet. The GoPro is not a lesser camera though. Not to mention the camera can always be upgraded to a better newer model. Not something you can do on the P3.

When aftermarket APPS become available the gap will close on software capability. I understand that two different APPS are in beta for P3 now.

You think the P3 will close the gap on the Solo? Surely you meant it the other way around? With the open source and development kits available, the Solo has the potential to win big here. I love flying my Phantoms but the Pixhawk setup 3DR has on this along with the linux computers puts it in a different league.

What wasn't mention is the solo has speed control which probably wasn't turned up all the way.

Actually he did crank the speed up. Would have to switch to one of the other modes besides normal fly to improve it.

As far as fisheye on the GoPro the lens on that camera can be changed plus the fact it has far more features than the P3 Pro and the fact that GoPro isn't just an aerial camera.

Agree. I have the Peau 5.4 on my Hero Black. No fisheye and much better FPV as far as gauging distance to objects. That said it has ruined the camera for handheld.

I love both of them. I don't really like DJI as a company and to be honest my start with 3DR in the order delivery process has not been stellar either. Hoping that improves. I am skeptical that the Solos were really ready for market but time will tell. Right now their tech support department seems to be somewhat busy.

Still thinking about ordering a P3A. Yea for me its all about the range, all about the range .. no trouble.

Aftermarkets apps???? LOL give me a break....
Don't be so quick to shrug off the aftermarket appsViperNuke. I used the DJI ultimate app exclusively with my P2V+ and loved it! Ken now has one for the P3. I haven't tried it yet but plan too. I think a lot more attrition to detail goes into the apps that the developers put out.

And on Sole you must set camera to narrow so the legs don't show :(
Maybe gimble will help, but no one knows yet, lol.

Boy have you got allot to learn about props and landing gear in the video.

Reactions: AmosMoses
This is true. The Solo will go 2.5 miles with an antenna kit and the P3 will probably do 4K. The P3 spanks the solo for sure !

Yea the Solo is way more expensive and no gimbal yet. The GoPro is not a lesser camera though. Not to mention the camera can always be upgraded to a better newer model. Not something you can do on the P3.

You think the P3 will close the gap on the Solo? Surely you meant it the other way around? With the open source and development kits available, the Solo has the potential to win big here. I love flying my Phantoms but the Pixhawk setup 3DR has on this along with the linux computers puts it in a different league.

Actually he did crank the speed up. Would have to switch to one of the other modes besides normal fly to improve it.

Agree. I have the Peau 5.4 on my Hero Black. No fisheye and much better FPV as far as gauging distance to objects. That said it has ruined the camera for handheld.

I love both of them. I don't really like DJI as a company and to be honest my start with 3DR in the order delivery process has not been stellar either. Hoping that improves. I am skeptical that the Solos were really ready for market but time will tell. Right now their tech support department seems to be somewhat busy.

Still thinking about ordering a P3A. Yea for me its all about the range, all about the range .. no trouble.
True, i have the 5.4 IR CUT lens on my Gopro3 BE but the P3 produces a better video. Dont know why but one part is because you can set ISO to 100. The Gopro always adjusts ISO before it lowers the shutter speed and this is really bad. With the P3 you can force ISO to be 100 all the time which will give you the least amount of noise. You can also set shutter speed to 1/60 when you film 4K which is also essential. Something you just cant do with the gopros. Gopro has more modes like 2.7K or 120fps etc.. but thats not needed on a quad. Others than that both feature exactly the same sony sensor and exactly the same Ambarella image processor according to the lastest P3 tear down. So basically the Gopro4 is the P3 camera in a different housing with a different lens and software.

Thats Ryan that lives here in my town.

I did not remember him talking about Fish eye though.

For what its worth I am pretty sure he is selling the P3 if the Solo continues to fly.

Was good to see them side by side. He did a good job.

I have a Hero 4 Silver. There's a lot of flexibility with this camera, including several "narrow" modes that seriously downgrades the fish-eye effect. Although I own a P3Pro, I'm looking forward to the Solo hitting the market big-time. Since I already own a GoPro, I'll save the cost of the camera. Solo is apparently selling the gimbal separately - I guess it will set me back around $1,500 to get everything I want. If it does 75% of what it's supposed to be that won't be too bad.

Can anyone recommend a good Solo forum where I can lurk?

I have a Hero 4 Silver. There's a lot of flexibility with this camera, including several "narrow" modes that seriously downgrades the fish-eye effect. Although I own a P3Pro, I'm looking forward to the Solo hitting the market big-time. Since I already own a GoPro, I'll save the cost of the camera. Solo is apparently selling the gimbal separately - I guess it will set me back around $1,500 to get everything I want. If it does 75% of what it's supposed to be that won't be too bad.

Can anyone recommend a good Solo forum where I can lurk?
Have you tried the 3dr pilots link at the bottom of this page?

Boy have you got allot to learn...

WoW jason, when was the last time you had anything nice to say to anyone? :confused:

Here's the link that's at the bottom of each page:
http://www.phantompilots.com/pages/communityguidelines/

Here's a quote from the very first paragraph of that document:
"Please think before you post and keep your comments limited to the topic at hand and above all - be nice."

Reactions: dirkclod
"WoW jason, when was the last time you had anything nice to say to anyone?"

And your post is way better... ROFL...

At least he was making a point about drones (apps) while being snarky.

Reactions: IflyinWY

Good point Earl.

Perhaps you would like to explain the "point" he was trying to make. Naw, I bet we all knew that being smarter is better.

I don't see you ever posting anything "NICE". Hmm, makes me wonder.

vs

Man, if that's not enough to sway most people, then they have far too much money. That extra would be almost enough to buy a P3A as a backup bird.

Good guck dealing with DJI and the bad customer support. Be Careful with the Firmware updates. If it works fine, don’t upgrade it. I did and it messed up the VPS on my phantom. DJI says I have to send it in to fix the issue. They made the bad firmware so I think they should send me a temp P3P. They are just so bad at CS and now Im wishing I went with the 3D robotics Solo.
Get off your butt DJI and learn to treat customers right.

What a load of crap, you got to send it back to dji to fix the vps. It's a well known bug in the firmware and will be fixed in firmware. Most who have updated have had the vps issue and dji know about it and most likely fixex in the next firmware update.

vs

For those who quote the removability of the GoPro for uses other than on their bird, there's enough change left after buying a P3 to buy a GoPro for use on your car, boat, whatever, and still come out ahead. So THAT particular argument is clutching at straws.

No it actually isn't. I already own 4 GoPros and use them regularly.

That made "my" cost for a Solo with 4K capability $1400. That as opposed to a Phantom Pro for $1300.

While the gimbal for the Solo will ship in July, it will then have fully functional follow me, orbit, cable car, selfie etcetera, with more on the way from 3DR, and we will still be waiting for that in the Phantom 3. When it comes for Phantom (from 3rd parties) it will void warranty.

But you are right, that isn't the reason not to buy Phantom 3. DJI has horrible (nonexistent) customer service. THAT is the reason not to buy their products. At least it is for me.... And I own one..

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub