Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

The ONLY cheap bin I have found

Discussion in 'Phantom 2 Vision + Discussion' started by bbedsole, Oct 29, 2014.

1. bbedsole

Ok, so obviously it's sort of a pain in the rear to take the prop guards off every time you transport your Phantom.

(please hold your comments on the prop guards, I know, I know, but $1200 is a big investment for me)

If I plan to travel across the country or hike up a mountain, of course I will take them off and put it all in the backpack I bought, but to go to a park a few miles down the road (where I use it 95% of the time) I was really hoping to find an inexpensive bin that I could just place my Phantom 2 Vision Plus inside and go, rather than keep my hand on it in the front seat the whole time.

I went to my local home improvement store, and then to Walmart, and NOTHING fit. There was a Dura-bilt bin at Walmart that I thought would fit. It was black and gold, the largest they had, similar to this, http://www.walmart.com/ip/Durabilt-27-G ... t/30845797, but the measurements included the rim at the top, so it was about two inches too small.

The ONLY thing I found that appeared to be just the right side was a round tub made by Tuff Tubs. It appears they are sold at Tractor Supply and some other farm and feed stores, possibly Sears. Several diameters available. Priced around $35.

http://www.tufftubs.com/htdocs/plincirc.htm

I didn't actually buy one of these. I decided to try those Firebolts first. But I thought I would post this, in case somebody was pretty insistent on a tub or bin to carry around their Phantom. Seems like a good solution, especially if you put a little pipe insulation or bubble wrap inside it for some cushion.

Attached Files:

2. Meta4

Meta4 Moderator
    Staff Member

The cost of a new Phantom is the reason why most fliers here don't burden their Phantoms with prop guards.

3. phantom85

If they're so bad why do DJI sell them?

4. Yeti22

Because DJI likes money?

5. Meta4

Meta4 Moderator
    Staff Member

Probably to satisfy demand from new users that think they might be a good idea and they must be good because DJI sell them.
    Why do DJI still sell a quad that needs to have some tinfoil installed by the owner before it functions properly?

6. mra1228

I used the cardboardf liner the P2V+ came in. Fits well in standard file box. Add two strings to carry. Even put a takeoff/landing pad in the end. Room for spare batts, props, controller, etc.

Attached Files:

7. bbedsole

Nice job, mra1228. THAT is the kind of reply I was hoping to get. Very creative.

(obviously, some folks didn't catch the line in my post about WITHHOLDING COMMENTS related to prop guards)

8. Meta4

Meta4 Moderator
    Staff Member

And you didn't get the point that your reason for using prop guards (protecting investment) is the reason others don't.

9. mixstreme

Prop gaurds are responsible for the only crash I have ever had.....
    They acted like sails and drifted my bird into a set of trees 25 meters away. My own fault for leaving it hovering as I still do, just didn't expect the drift.....

Never again.......

10. singapore_phantom

If you're going to travel and you want to use prop guards, why not get some of these easy-click-on-easy-click-off ones?

By the way, I don't think using prop guard is a black or white issue as such. I don't use prop guards typically, but when I'm going to fly in tight quarters, the woods, a warehouse, a skate park, that sort of thing, then there's something to be said for prop guards, particularly since you're not likely to be inducing VRS in these conditions.