The one question I really dislike...

When I get asked the cost, and I always do, I tell people they start at about $500 but can cost much more depending on the model and how it is set up.

Maybe I was just brought up differently to be able to recognize this. I'm not the morality police but this is a very rude question to ask even ask someone. It's really none of their business. :shock:

If they are really interested they can find the information very easily themselves.

pierrelogic said:
Maybe I was just brought up differently to be able to recognize this. I'm not the morality police but this is a very rude question to ask even ask someone. It's really none of their business. :shock:

If they are really interested they can find the information very easily themselves.

+1

pierrelogic said:
but this is a very rude question to ask even ask someone. It's really none of their business. :shock:

C'mon folks ... it's not about etiquette. People are asking because they are genuinely interested.
They aren't asking to pry into your net worth. They are fascinated by your amazing personal flying machine.
They've probably never seen one and one of the first questions that comes into their mind is .. what does one of those cost?
Is it a million dollars or a hundred? They want some idea because they have no experience to help them work it out.

Take it as a compliment. Your Phantom has piqued their curiosity enough to get them wondering.
That's an awful lot better than the .. you can't do that .. you're spying on me alternative.

Meta4 said:
They aren't asking to pry into your net worth.

My thoughts exactly.

Sure, if it's a house, or an obviously expensive car/boat/plane, or something... yeah, I could see how it'd be rude to ask. Because there's always that spectre that they're trying to figure out how much you make or how much is in your bank account. I'm careful not to do that myself.

But your Phantom is a thousand bucks or so. People who see it are torn between thinking that it's a "toy" and thinking that it's a really expensive piece of equipment, and they're just interested in knowing which side of their brain is right. Giving them a rough idea of cost isn't going to expose your net worth.

I usually enumerate the bits and pieces with their prices. The emphasis is more on the amount of time involved assembling the pieces and a resulting, hopefully, reliable Quadcopter. Good heavens, most of us have trouble finding the prices and we own'em :shock:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers