The Official "My P4 Range Is Too Short" Thread - Don't Start New Range Threads!

when i first got my P4 i wanted to see what it had being straight out of the box, i was able to push it to 19,000 ft (stock)and was scared to go further, as i was getting the weak transmission signal at that point. So did a little research and came across the DBS ITE LITE panel from Jake at MaxxUAV.com..nice guy to talk to ...so i purchased the DBS panel, set of those black screw ones for shorter trips, and the clean install kit....wanted stronger signal, and could not be happier

Jake is the man !! He has a nice set up for sure.

Reactions: Bckmstr
Strange range issue. Was flying in country side. Start to get low signal at around 800-1km. But as soon as turned it to flight back, video come back to normal. Turned again to fly forward and low video signal warning come back. Height was about 50-70m. RC antenna pointed straight up.

On next flight I continued to push it forward and but this time RC antennas had like 15-20 degree point up from horizon. As result pretty good video signal all the time and I have reached 3km and turned back. On back flight I even tried to shade antenna by body, but still had good video signal.

So I still couldn't understand:
1. Why when I flying toward RC (return), video feed much better.
2. And why do I need to keep antennas on RC to point 15-20degree up (from horizon) when quad only 70m high on 2km distance.

Reactions: Paul Richardson
View attachment 53860

Just with a MaxxUAV IteLite DBS Antenna, unboosted, got a butt pucker at 60% and turned around. Good thing that I did though, with the wind aloft I was able to make it back and land with 8%.

3.89 miles

Company only advertises 3.1 miles max distance

MaxxUAV "Clean Install" Installation Guide

When you fly out like this and it tells you to come back home, is it pretty accurate? How do you fly back? If you are flying in sport mode and it tells you to turn around, do you come back in sport mode? Or turn off vision processing and come back in P mode (which I have noticed the drone flys faster that way)..

when i first got my P4 i wanted to see what it had being straight out of the box, i was able to push it to 19,000 ft (stock)and was scared to go further, as i was getting the weak transmission signal at that point. So did a little research and came across the DBS ITE LITE panel from Jake at MaxxUAV.com..nice guy to talk to ...so i purchased the DBS panel, set of those black screw ones for shorter trips, and the clean install kit....wanted stronger signal, and could not be happier

Think I'm going to have to get one of these setups too.

Think I'm going to have to get one of these setups too.

do it, you won't regret it, i went clean install kit and bought those extra black screw ons for when i don't need the range and i want to just throw the bird up for a short flight...give Jake a shout and tell him i sent ya

Reactions: Pepe Goodman
I'm only getting 500 to 600 meters out of my p4 I don't know what I'm doing wrong in using litchi app. think I got out to 800 meters once. when it losses signal there's no warning just strait up signal lost and it comes home. any suggestions what I'm doing wrong. is litchi less range than dji go app ?

I have one of those dumb questions which I'd never really thought about, and it's what I consider dumb because I've been flying awhile, but on a factory phantom 4 controller what DJI are the antennas rated at???

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

The furthest I've taken mine is just over 500m from me. I genuinely don't know though how far it's actually meant to be able to go.

I think the trees and houses often interfere with the signal though so I lose connection and have to come back.

I have one of those dumb questions which I'd never really thought about, and it's what I consider dumb because I've been flying awhile, but on a factory phantom 4 controller what DJI are the antennas rated at???

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots
I get my Phantom3P to about 4.8 km at 400 ft altitude in an open area (rural area with no interference) in the city I can do about 2+ km and it will RTH , flying on old 1.4.10 firmware,
I just installed DBS mod and I was only able to fly 2.2 km in the city but from the inside of my truck lol, the weather here is changing , getting really cold and I am a bit hesitant to try to max it out in the rural area,
but this weekend I may just try that if the temps do not go below zero...
I just wanted to add that I used to have a P4 and it would only do 600m in the city, but in the rural I would still get impressive 4.5 km, however the P3P beat the P4 in the city and in the rural area...
Here is my true test on stock antennas in the rural area, the video quality is not that great though

IMG_1108.PNG
A little over 4600 feet today before RTH, flying over a suburban area with a 2.4ghz maelstrom below it. Not bad, but I'll be trying to make it better.

Curt

Ummm, ok. Any suggestions on how to do so?
I'm relating to my experience flying P3P ... I'm assuming you are flying P4P ? , you should be able to go 8000 + feet in distance , you are fairly high in altitude and you are flying over a hardly populated land with minimal interference.. , strange...

Does anyone know if these type of antenna reflectors work?

View attachment 70138
Yes, I have the exact same ones. on my Phantom 4. I've gotten more than 2 mile without signal drop off with the AC altitude @ 200'. This was a Litchi Mission in a sparsely wooded, mostly flat area i.e. Central Florida WMA. Remember they are extremely directional.

After plenty of research I have just ordered the DBS gear.
Im using my P4 for mapping and have up to now had Autopilot do the flying which means even in a dropout situation the aircraft continues on its way. For those of us in Australia that are stuck with CE compliance limits, elevating the TX will get you out to 2km line of sight .
Im hoping the DBS mod will mean I don't have to do this anymore.... (see photo - TX in the air - iPad in my hands to do the flying)

Attachments

• IMG_0260.JPG
    IMG_0260.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 484

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav