The NY Times on Xmas drones

It says that 1 million were sold during Xmas. Some were stuck in trees or on roofs -- as if that was news. :rolleyes:

Cities really do need to accept that these things are here to stay and set aside someplace for people to practice and fly them safely in and without public or legal intervention. The Gov. of Arizona put up some law that AZ cities need to have at least one park set aside to fly them in so Phoenix has around 6 parks or more. With the increasing FPV racers appearing, even on ESPN now as a sport, this is going to grow.

I'm about ready to take some of the rules and signage off the Phoenix Parks Dept. regarding RC planes/Drones to my local city supervisor and argue the case for their mostly vacant soccer fields to be used as practice or FPV flying fields if no soccer games are in progress. May as well find some other use for them. Flying over the neighbors just pisses them off to the point they call the cops yelling about spying, privacy, etc. so if a field were available it might keep them happy. But the parks here have ordinances against drones that comes in my mail about recreational activities and uses of the parks. That has to change if they are not being used to full advantage so the city supervisor might get a visit.

Good luck with your Parks Department. I had approached one of our county parks department for a permit to fly/practice my quad in an RC specified area of a park. I was turned away by the permit issuer at the park's RC aerodrome who claimed that "all drone owners are deviants who just like to spy on people". So I took that to the Deputy Commissioner of Parks, who apologized for the comment that was made but explained that the concern of the county is that drones can launch from the park and then infringe on the privacy and peace of the neighborhoods -- something typical RC planes can't do due to their limited range, while drones can fly miles. He also pointed out that the park has had problems with drones flying through their 4th of July fireworks, and that some parks have open-air changing rooms (walls but no roof) at some of their park pools -- so the atmosphere here at the Parks Department is not very drone accommodating. You can thank the idiots on both sides for that.

Reactions: GMack
Good luck with your Parks Department. I had approached one of our county parks department for a permit to fly/practice my quad in an RC specified area of a park. I was turned away by the permit issuer at the park's RC aerodrome who claimed that "all drone owners are deviants who just like to spy on people". So I took that to the Deputy Commissioner of Parks, who apologized for the comment that was made but explained that the concern of the county is that drones can launch from the park and then infringe on the privacy and peace of the neighborhoods -- something typical RC planes can't do due to their limited range, while drones can fly miles. He also pointed out that the park has had problems with drones flying through their 4th of July fireworks, and that some parks have open-air changing rooms (walls but no roof) at some of their park pools -- so the atmosphere here at the Parks Department is not very drone accommodating. You can thank the idiots on both sides for that.

Yes, been through the same "NO!" nonsense with the local parks dept. and why I plan to go over their head to the city supervisor's office and talk to those we elect and control those lower tier people's thoughts. May not get anywhere either, but at least they will know there is a problem growing and an angry public who are tired of being told "You can't fly here" even if no one else is around for a mile at some rural soccer field.

At least the AZ governor went over their heads too by requiring areas to be set aside in each city, usually some large park. Other states need to take notice as this really is a legal nuisance. The CA governor said the State Parks were okay with him too, but final say lies with the excuse made by the local head ranger as too "Too many people beneath, endangered bug, etc."

Didn't see that at first, thanks. But this forum is more active than the "general discussion" forum, more readers.

The site staff usually like to avoid duplicate discussions and this forum is specific, general discussions isn't.

I do think you had the better thread title.

This was recently discussed here. Be sure and check the search before you craft your post. ;)
Thread closed. Please comment further here - TODAY'S NEWS

duplicate_content.png

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic