The not recommended max speed

Reaction score
Been wondering: DJI's specs for the Phantom 2 series say that the max horizontal flight speed is 15 meters per second, but that it is not recommended.

Why not? Could it cause too much of a tilt angle with risk of crashing down, or is there something else?
What is the true max speed you can fly SAFELY?

I fly at full speed all the time and with strong tailwinds I go very fast. Check out SkyHighDiver's Flytrex Data showing speeds of 76 miles per hour (34 meters per second). The fear is that you could burn out your ESC flying full speed for a whole battery. I do not know if this is true and I don't want to test it myself!

From Dirty Bird himself: "ESC's are an electronic variable-range switch. They draw low power when at idle, and progressively more current as the power ramps up. The Phantom's ESCs are small and I believe only rated at 10 amps. If you hold the throttle maxed out they will become progressively hotter as they draw more current. If you were to allow your Phantom to sit with the motors idling, it will run for a LONG time, because it is drawing little power."

Check out this thread for more info.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic