The new V+ under the shell, GPS Shielding and more!

justin00, nope. I even tried to buy it from DJI, but they weren't interested in selling it.

Hi Justin,

Thank you for your lengthy reply it really is very much appreciated.

I have watched a few videos on youtube now about aluminium foil, or indeed adhesive aluminium tape. I think i know how to do it, but i dont understand what it does if that makes sense!!

Also, my problem isnt the number of satellites, its that the satellite numbers are dropping when video recorder mode is on - would the aluminium tape fix this problem, or just simply give me more satellites in the first place?

Thank you again in advance.

Paul

paulsheaves, the copper foil prevents interference from the GPS unit and GPS cable (even more so if you wrap the entire cable). See detailed install instructions at:

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=31054

The copper tape is available on eBay. It's used for music amplifiers and guitars. Comes in a five foot length for a few bucks.

The copper tape is also available on Amazon for $6.89 this is the link

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KLJ ... UTF8&psc=1

Also you could pick up a roll of Kapton Polyimide Film Tape with Silicone Adhesive to cover the copper tape as insurance against any metal object touching the copper.
Link
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J8P ... UTF8&psc=1

These are very inexpensive items that will improve your GPS satellite pick up and will help keep the lock on the satellites when you start recording with the camera which does create interference with the GPS. I hope this helps!!!

Or you can keep it real simple and go to your local home depot or lowes and buy 'aluminum hvac tape'. It comes on a roll and is cheap. The big plus is the adhesive is strong and the aluminum is very thin which equals= less weight, less chance of falling off, and conforms very easily. I used it on my last phantom and it worked great. :D

paulsheaves said:
Also, my problem isnt the number of satellites, its that the satellite numbers are dropping when video recorder mode is on - would the aluminium tape fix this problem, or just simply give me more satellites in the first place?

Thank you again in advance.

Paul
Hi Paul what you've described is the exact reason everyone has done the foil mod. The video unit generates electrical/radio noise when recording.

jasonb777 said:
Or you can keep it real simple and go to your local home depot or lowes and buy 'aluminum hvac tape'. It comes on a roll and is cheap. The big plus is the adhesive is strong and the aluminum is very thin which equals= less weight, less chance of falling off, and conforms very easily. I used it on my last phantom and it worked great. :D
this is also what I used. I put a layer of packing tape on top of the aluminum tape to prevent and possibility of creating a short

Same, there is no doubt the wifi module touches the shielding.. I can see the outline on my shielding, weather or not it can short is a diff story, but I didn't want to take the risk, either.

max said:
jasonb777 said:
this is also what I used. I put a layer of packing tape on top of the aluminum tape to prevent and possibility of creating a short

Hi Guys,

So I have bought aluminium sticky tape and will do the mod now.

One thing, once i have stuck the aluminium tape down, do i have to then cover that tape with more tape to stop it shorting? If so, is masking tape ok to do this? I also have some normal duct tape too.... sorry if this is a dumb question, and thanks again for all your help.

paulsheaves, a lot of people cover the copper/aluminum with Kapton tape -- when they choose to cover it. It's an optional step though.

You could really use any type of non-metallic tape. Just make sure it's sticky enough that it does not peel away from the shell. If that happens, I suppose it would to fun things like melt on the components in your Phantom.

paulsheaves said:
Hi Guys,

So I have bought aluminium sticky tape and will do the mod now.

One thing, once i have stuck the aluminium tape down, do i have to then cover that tape with more tape to stop it shorting? If so, is masking tape ok to do this? I also have some normal duct tape too.... sorry if this is a dumb question, and thanks again for all your help.

Yes. Cover it with any non-conductive tape. You can even use paper and glue. What ever you do, do NOT leave the aluminium exposed.

Mako79 said:
What ever you do, do NOT leave the aluminium exposed.
I'm still waiting for someone to say the exposed copper/aluminum caused a problem. A lot of people don't cover it.

I don't see the concern either.

There's no chance for anything to short to or because of it.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj