The new V+ under the shell, GPS Shielding and more!

I have no experience with ferrite beads, but in doing some quick research I've come across this info.

"Bead, cores, and rods, come in a variety of materials called mixes. Some are better at HF frequencies (Mix 31), and some are better at VHF frequencies (Mix 43). While other mixes are available, these are the prime mixes used in amateur mobile chokes. There are several points which need to be emphasized. First, one turn, split bead chokes are all but worthless. This includes multiple, one turn beads. In other words, the real key to an effective choke is multiple turns on one bead! The use of the correct mix is very important. Surplus beads of unknown mix are a waste of time and resources. Rather stick with mix 31 at frequencies below 30 MHz, and Mix 43 for frequencies over 30 MHz. One of the best sources is DX Engineering."

Does anyone know what frequencies (HF or VHF) would DJI be trying to filter out with those beads?

The above information came from http://www.k0bg.com/beads.html.

Dji should have use a spectrum analizer which would tell them the freq which is causing the interference to the Gps .The Gps operates on and around 1575MHZ so thats uhf .
The correct way is to wrap cables round ferrites but that is not possible inside the phantom so circular or split ones are the option and the cables need to be a tight fit .
At least the are admitting to this issue with the new sheilding but they should supply a kit for owners who have these issues free of charge .

I totally agree with saltire that dji should provide current p2v+ owners withe a shielding en ferrite kit. That is the least they can do to help their customers to correct for mistakes dji made in the origional dessign. How we are going about this. Or with others words, how do we get dji to do this? Any ideas? Geert do you have ideas on this?

saltire said:
The correct way is to wrap cables round ferrites but that is not possible inside the phantom so circular or split ones are the option and the cables need to be a tight fit .
Can anyone recommend exactly what needs to be purchased? I'm all for DJI providing a kit to fix this, but I'm okay with paying for it myself since I'm not going to hold off flying while they are even considering that possibility.

msinger said:
saltire said:
Can anyone recommend exactly what needs to be purchased? I'm all for DJI providing a kit to fix this, but I'm okay with paying for it myself since I'm not going to hold off flying while they are even considering that possibility.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121455206140
These are the ones i purchased(5mm) so just look for them in ebay.com if you are in the Usa.

I think identifying the frequencies of the interference and root source of the of this issue should be done before making mods to the aircraft. Otherwise you may spent a lot of time and money without any serious analysis being done.

Speaking as someone who has a background in Electronic Engineering and worked on PCB designs for defence applications.

Dji must have been doing some research before they have fitted out the phantom in the pictures with ferrites to the camera cables .I would like to see if they have done anymore to the camera underneath .
So i wonder when they will be shipping out the FREE KITS to customers with sat drop issues.

HunterSK said:
I think identifying the frequencies of the interference and root source of the of this issue should be done before making mods to the aircraft. Otherwise you may spent a lot of time and money without any serious analysis being done.

Speaking as someone who has a background in Electronic Engineering and worked on PCB designs for defence applications.

Not all GPS units are being affected and not all cameras are emitting excessive EMI/EMF. Here is a little data that I was able to put together using my RF analyzer and my sniffer probe set looking at each individual component. It was a brief test but I found nothing excessive. I found a little additional noise at the top of the camera and a little more on top of the controller along with the majority coming from the main board itself near the GPS connector of all places.

Attachments

• BriefRFanalysis.png
    BriefRFanalysis.png
    175.9 KB · Views: 545
So is DJI shipping this upgrade along with the new controller? I got my Phantom a month ago and have had nothing but problems with the GPS... this seems like another slap in the face.

burlbark said:
HunterSK said:

Not all GPS units are being affected and not all cameras are emitting excessive EMI/EMF. Here is a little data that I was able to put together using my RF analyzer and my sniffer probe set looking at each individual component. It was a brief test but I found nothing excessive. I found a little additional noise at the top of the camera and a little more on top of the controller along with the majority coming from the main board itself near the GPS connector of all places.

Thanks very much Burlbark. Without technical data like this, it is very difficult to make an informed decision.

Based on your evidence I see a peak at 1535MHz about 10dB above the noise floor. Please publish any more data that you find. I wish I could do an RF scan on my Phantom as a comparison.

The 1575 region you can see the 3 peaks, where as with the camera off it was rolling around in that area. I will try a couple different sniffer probes and try different qualities of recording and see if I can cause something egregious, really bad :)

I post new findings on my facebook almost daily but I am not a vendor here so I cant link to it.

Jeremy James

burlbark said:
The 1575 region you can see the 3 peaks, where as with the camera off it was rolling around in that area. I will try a couple different sniffer probes and try different qualities of recording and see if I can cause something egregious, really bad :)

I post new findings on my facebook almost daily but I am not a vendor here so I cant link to it.

Jeremy James
Great stuff just out of interest has your phantom been dropping sats whilst you record ?, mine gets worse the higher resolution i choose .

burlbark said:

Jeremy James

For us that belongs to the club DLF (Dare leave Facebook) it would be nice if you could put your findings on this forum also :D :lol:
//gunnar

vagspel said:
For us that belongs to the club DLF (Dare leave Facebook) it would be nice if you could put your findings on this forum also :D :lol:
//gunnar

I agree too :D

But I also wouldn't mind clicking on a Facebook link to some accessible photo gallery?

Burlbark pretty please ;) :ugeek:

Nathan Carter said:
vagspel said:
//gunnar

But I also wouldn't mind clicking on a Facebook link to some accessible photo gallery?

I am not linking anything that I am selling and not offering any services so maybe they will let this slide? I like the forum allot but cant fit the additional advertizing expense in just yet... Close but not yet.

https://www.facebook.com/USdronerepair

burlbark said:
Nathan Carter said:
vagspel said:
//gunnar

I am not linking anything that I am selling and not offering any services so maybe they will let this slide? I like the forum allot but cant fit the additional advertizing expense in just yet... Close but not yet.

https://www.facebook.com/USdronerepair
Have you had a PV2+ in that has had a bad sat count drop after the record button was pressed? A guy today went from 10 sats to 4 and his quad just went for a fly about and got hit by a car after it landed on a road .

That's why all pilots should learn how to fly in Atti. mode.

N017RW said:
That's why all pilots should learn how to fly in Atti. mode.
Thats why Dji should sort the problem instead of selling quads with known faults simples.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.