The Miscellaneous P3P Questions and Answers Thread

i flew out 10,000 feet a minute ago and i saw the weak signal light flicker and went back to green. me not taking any chances, i immediately turned around and started heading home. all of a sudden out of the blue, the weak signal flickered again the then went to "NO SIGNAL"! i slightly panicked and hit the RTH! it took about 45 seconds for the signal to show back up on the screen returning home. it faded in and out of NO SIGNAL until about the 3000 mile mark and then stayed green until i landed her.

my question is, is it supposed to automatically RTH when the signal is lost, or no?

also, if there is "no signal", is it even possible to use the RTH button if the radio is "not connected" to the phantom?

this is another subject to where i've heard different versions of what is supposed to be real.

thanks.
If it loses signal, it will return to home-- there are many documented reports on this forum regarding that. To test mine, I flew it out about 500 feet where I could still see it , turned on the controller, and it returned home and landed. right in front of me.

my question is, is it supposed to automatically RTH when the signal is lost, or no?

also, if there is "no signal", is it even possible to use the RTH button if the radio is "not connected" to the phantom?

If you're a control freak, why don't you read the manual?

It's illustrated 50 pages! Half of them you can skim through, the other half you ought to really read and understand.

If you're a control freak, why don't you read the manual?

It's illustrated 50 pages! Half of them you can skim through, the other half you ought to really read and understand.

i did read the manual several times mr. reboot. all 58 pages.

so, if it loses signal, just do nothing and wait?

Last edited:
i did read the manual several times mr. reboot. all 58 pages.
so, if it loses signal, just do nothing and wait?
RTH is the most important feature to understand and practise.
The Phantom has 3 different types of RTH and manual has 2 pages on it.
Here's the failsafe RTH section.
i-qzKwNmK-L.jpg

RTH is the most important feature to understand and practise.
The Phantom has 3 different types of RTH and manual has 2 pages on it.
Here's the failsafe RTH section.
i-qzKwNmK-L.jpg
this is where i get a little confused.

it says that if the signal is lost, the RTH feature kicks in and brings it home, but then it says that "Aircraft cannot RTH when GPS signal is weak or unavailable"

so like my situation this morning, if i lose the signal, do i just do nothing and hope my quad is receiving a GPS signal or do i press and hold the RTH button on my controller?

then it says "it will land if RTH is triggered when it flies within a 65 feet radius from home point."

why would you want it to land 65 feet away from you?

sorry for the stupid questions, i'm just trying to fully understand this RTH feature.

thanks.

it says that if the signal is lost, the RTH feature kicks in and brings it home, but then it says that "Aircraft cannot RTH when GPS signal is weak or unavailable"

so like my situation this morning, if i lose the signal, do i just do nothing and hope my quad is receiving a GPS signal or do i press and hold the RTH button on my controller?

then it says "it will land if RTH is triggered when it flies within a 65 feet radius from home point."

sorry for the stupid questions, i'm just trying to fully understand this RTH feature.

thanks.

Q1: If you lose signal then pushing the button won't matter but I would expect one to do it anyways in desperation.

Q2: One has to guess what the designers/programmers intended but if its 65 feet away then you should be able to see it and 'drive' it home yourself.

Reactions: CONTROL FREQ

Losing radio control signal is unrelated to GPS signal.
As long as your Phantom can see the sky, you'll have GPS signal.
You'd have to fly under a metal roof, into a deep forest or narrow canyon to lose GPS.

RTH is VERY important. Read the 2 pages in the manual and go out and try it a few times to learn how it works.

The system is very smartly designed and reliable but you have to know how it works.

You wouldn't.
Don't feel that you have to let RTH land.
You are a better pilot than RTH and you can cancel and resume control at any time.
Just send your Phantom out more than 20 metres when you are experimenting.

You'd have to fly under a metal roof, into a deep forest or narrow canyon to lose GPS.

RTH is VERY important. Read the 2 pages in the manual and go out and try it a few times to learn how it works.

The system is very smartly designed and reliable but you have to know how it works.

Wow this was very helpful,

You wouldn't.
Don't feel that you have to let RTH land.
You are a better pilot than RTH and you can cancel and resume control at any time.
Just send your Phantom out more than 20 metres when you are experimenting.

Thank you for this knowledge!

What if your radio stopped working or got destroyed suddenly and your quad is landing 60 feet away somewhere? It just seems weird that they have it programmed that way.

But you're right, the RTH system is really nice and something everyone should be familiar with!

What if your radio stopped working or got destroyed suddenly and your quad is landing 60 feet away somewhere? It just seems weird that they have it programmed that way.

No.. That's not how it is programmed at all. DJI designers aren't stupid.
If you turn off your Tx, your Phantom will go to RTH and come back to (probably withing 1 or 2 metres of where it took off.
If you play with RTH and your Phantom is within 20 metres of home, then it will just land where it is.

Go out and experiment in a large open area with no trees.
Send your Phantom out 100 feet and initiate RTH.

I can't say how important it is to experiment, experiment, experiment... and actually do it now and then so you can trust the system. Once a week I'll do it just to feel reassured. There is no reason to let it land on its own during RTH.. always override once you see it and do it yourself.

here's one...

i never tried to use the new features like "Follow Me" and POI because I wanted to master flying the thing first but i want to now try the new features but i don't see anything in the layout of the software about follow me or anything new. i have the latest version 1.4 on the quad and i have the latest DJI GO version so my question is, where are these new features supposed to be?

thanks.

here's one...

i never tried to use the new features like "Follow Me" and POI because I wanted to master flying the thing first but i want to now try the new features but i don't see anything in the layout of the software about follow me or anything new. i have the latest version 1.4 on the quad and i have the latest DJI GO version so my question is, where are these new features supposed to be?

thanks.
Advanced - POI, waypoints, follow me mode? | DJI Phantom Forum

thank you for this. i'm now pretty good at the POI and Follow Me.

here is another question for you guys...

While in flight, the battery progress bar on the top of the DJI GO app slowly moves to the left as the battery drains. That's pretty self explanatory. It also has an "H" and the "H" moves as you fly so I'm thinking that that tells me how much battery I need to get back home. I got that also.

But then there are several dots on that bar that I never quite understood. Can someone explain what these dots are or is there some sort of tutorial on the battery progress bar that's floating around on this site or the internet?

thanks.

thank you for this. i'm now pretty good at the POI and Follow Me.

here is another question for you guys...

While in flight, the battery progress bar on the top of the DJI GO app slowly moves to the left as the battery drains. That's pretty self explanatory. It also has an "H" and the "H" moves as you fly so I'm thinking that that tells me how much battery I need to get back home. I got that also.

But then there are several dots on that bar that I never quite understood. Can someone explain what these dots are or is there some sort of tutorial on the battery progress bar that's floating around on this site or the internet?

thanks.
upload_2015-10-9_10-3-13.png

Months ago I had a crash because I had a compass error and by the time I looked down at my screen, by quad was screaming down to earth from 100 feet in the air.

They have audible warnings for low battery, home point updates and a host of other notifications, but my system won't give me an audible for compass error. With something as important as that, you'd think they would have an audible warning for that.

My question is, Is there a way in settings that I can turn on an audible notification for compass error in mid flight? I'd bet that it would have prevented a few crashes.

Thanks in advance.

does anyone know how long cached maps on my ipad air lasts?

is it after a certain period of time the cache is deleted or after too much is cached?

it's frustrating thinking i have the luxury of maps at my fingertips when i'm about to fly and come to find out that all of the maps are gone. :(

thanks.

got a quick question as well. i been taking my photos in 16:9. i did so because in 4:3 i got a much smaller picture in my iphone. but i guess the final photo will be just as big with 4:3 as 16:9? just that 16:9 crops out parts of the picture while 4:3 doesnt?

I guess the final photo will be just as big with 4:3 as 16:9? just that 16:9 crops out parts of the picture while 4:3 doesnt?
You're right about 16:9 cropping the full size image.
You do not get a photo just as big.
Shooting 4:3 you will get a bigger picture 4000 x 3000
Shoot 16:9 and you get 4000 x 2250

Reactions: Arvidj

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31