The Lily Flying camera is permanently grounded

Reaction score
The Lily flying camera is permanently grounded, and refund timing is unclear

Updated on 3-18-2017 by Lulu Chang: Added news that refund timing from Lily Drone is still to be determined.

Don't hold your breath waiting for a refund from the sounds of it.

At around 3 lbs it would be probably illegal in Canada to use it anyway because of proximity to people but brings up an interesting point - will devices like this, where they are "totally" autonomous, be considered drones by the government and require licensing of the "pilot"?

The Lily flying camera is permanently grounded, and refund timing is unclear

Updated on 3-18-2017 by Lulu Chang: Added news that refund timing from Lily Drone is still to be determined.

Don't hold your breath waiting for a refund from the sounds of it.

At around 3 lbs it would be probably illegal in Canada to use it anyway because of proximity to people but brings up an interesting point - will devices like this, where they are "totally" autonomous, be considered drones by the government and require licensing of the "pilot"?

This has been reported here before, but with the update I guess we're OK.

Yeah, when I first heard about the Lily about 16 months ago the thing that struck me about it was that it had no manual flight controls and therefore always operated in an autopilot mode -- that did not seem to be a workable arrangement as far as FAA regs are concerned. Since it was announced DJI has incorporated numerous "intelligent flight modes" that offer all the capabilities of the Lily while retaining the ability to fly manually should that be necessary. Frankly, the Mavic Pro, which is about the same price as the Lily can do everything the Lily can and MUCH more, and it has something the Lily didn't ... obstacle avoidance.

But, Lily is not the only drone company that faces a steep hurdle to being profitable, just about everyone is playing catch-up with DJI and DJI is pushing ahead so fast that no one is going to catch them. How long before GoPro abandons the Karma or goes out of business altogether.

Brian

But, Lily is not the only drone company that faces a steep hurdle to being profitable, just about everyone is playing catch-up with DJI and DJI is pushing ahead so fast that no one is going to catch them. How long before GoPro abandons the Karma or goes out of business altogether.

Brian

RE: GoPro Karma comment

I'd say not very long, even me being a steady GoPro user since it's inception, they gambled and lost big time on the Karma... and I never, ever even considered a Karma over what DJI is producing.

RE: GoPro Karma comment

I'd say not very long, even me being a steady GoPro user since it's inception, they gambled and lost big time on the Karma... and I never, ever even considered a Karma over what DJI is producing.

Yeah, I'm not happy they are in trouble and having a viable competitor would make DJI work harder and price there products more affordably. DJI is pretty much in the position that Microsoft was through the 90's and that's not a good thing. It would be better if there was someone biting at the heals but so far no ones been able to even keep them in there sights.

Brian

Yeah, I'm not happy they are in trouble and having a viable competitor would make DJI work harder and price there products more affordably. DJI is pretty much in the position that Microsoft was through the 90's and that's not a good thing. It would be better if there was someone biting at the heals but so far no ones been able to even keep them in there sights.

Brian

Absolutely, I do not like GoPro or anyone else for that matter laging so far behind. Yuneec, which I feel is one of the closer competitors is still a long ways off. Competition in this arena is a good thing - it keeps the pencil sharp ;-)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers