The Intel Shooting Star

Reaction score
A particular application of this amazing drone technology was discussed over in the Disney thread, but after finding more information on this it just seemed to justify its own discussion thread.

Check it out!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

And the older Drone 100 initiative (very cool video too):

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigAl07
My first question is, how do they manage the precision 3D positioning? I'm googling, but if some else knows or finds it first, please post!

A friend of mine got to sit and watch the control software run during one of these shows. Was telling me about the custom software that controls everything, even has extra drones on automatic standby incase of crashes.

A friend of mine got to sit and watch the control software run during one of these shows. Was telling me about the custom software that controls everything, even has extra drones on automatic standby incase of crashes.

That must have been awesome...

Wonder if they had to register all of those....? D'OH!!!

My first thought is: what is it good for other than night time theatrics? Secondly: we are restricted from flying over crowds-why would FAA authorize 500 battery powered drones
to fly over a stadium, but they would arrest/fine me for doing it? Third: the programming just to get them in the air without hitting each other is immense, only affordable by a super
rich company like Intel with unlimited resources..... But what if....they are really testing this for military purposes...they have or are trying to obtain a government contract ...and the
light can be replaced with some explosive device, like an M80 firecracker....just saying

My first thought is: what is it good for other than night time theatrics? Secondly: we are restricted from flying over crowds-why would FAA authorize 500 battery powered drones
to fly over a stadium, but they would arrest/fine me for doing it? Third: the programming just to get them in the air without hitting each other is immense, only affordable by a super
rich company like Intel with unlimited resources..... But what if....they are really testing this for military purposes...they have or are trying to obtain a government contract ...and the
light can be replaced with some explosive device, like an M80 firecracker....just saying

Probably Military tech that has been declassified enough to be used in the public sector. I read something on popsci a few years ago about the military developing swarm technology for uavs. Seems like these intel drones would be related to that.

swarms can be used to map roads, buildings, assses the battlefront, aquire and monitor targets...while communicating and cooridinating with each other for instructions instead of relying on the ground operator to do it.

fascinting tech.

My first question is, how do they manage the precision 3D positioning? I'm googling, but if some else knows or finds it first, please post!

Short range mesh networks using a relative positioning grid i.e. it is not based on actual coordinates.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic