The importance of setting the RTH Height (Watch video so we all learn)

Reaction score
I was fly by the tallest building of Venezuela, The "isla multiespacio" at 220 meters (722 ft) San Diego, Carabobo State, Then the phantom lost the signal and begin the RTH, but i forgot to update the height of the return (I had it in 80 mts), so the bird could fly above the building. Near crash/ Tragedy :( if i were standing a few meters to my left when I set the home point, maybe I wouldn't be here writing this, but crying like a little girl. I want to share the fellings this video generates with all you guys so WE all learn not understatimate nothing, specially the RTH height. Comments? how far did the p3p fly by the operator cabin of the crane?

A couple of things come to mind.
You have to completely lose signal for 3 full seconds before an automatic RTH is activated. Pay close attention to your transmitter signal bars. You usually get a warning of a "Weak Signal" and two yellow signal bars before a total loss of signal, which was predictable as you flew behind the building structure. Elevating the aircraft above the obstruction to recover signal, and re-orienting your transmitter and antennas slightly or radically during the Weak Signal warning will generally restore the signal to green Safe to Fly, unless you were already at the end of the signal range. Moving say 50 feet to your left or right can also recover a signal obstructed by a tree or a thin building spire, like this one. Lots of metal in a crane like that with a counterweight. Set your RTH height according to your mission's requirements, so no tall buildings get crashed into! Buy a lottery ticket today! It's your lucky day!:cool:

(Apparently, Obama sold San Diego to Venezuela to pay for Obama Care!;))

Hahaha, another happy ending...

You get to fly another day. ;-)

That was too close for comfort. Next time, you might not be so lucky.

Thank your lucky stars.

RedHotPoker

Lucky! Agree.Pay attention to RTH height setting. That one might have been hard to judge.

Sent from my P01M using Tapatalk

A couple of things come to mind.
You have to completely lose signal for 3 full seconds before an automatic RTH is activated. Pay close attention to your transmitter signal bars. You usually get a warning of a "Weak Signal" and two yellow signal bars before a total loss of signal, which was predictable as you flew behind the building structure. Elevating the aircraft above the obstruction to recover signal, and re-orienting your transmitter and antennas slightly or radically during the Weak Signal warning will generally restore the signal to green Safe to Fly, unless you were already at the end of the signal range. Moving say 50 feet to your left or right can also recover a signal obstructed by a tree or a thin building spire, like this one. Lots of metal in a crane like that with a counterweight. Set your RTH height according to your mission's requirements, so no tall buildings get crashed into! Buy a lottery ticket today! It's your lucky day!:cool:

(Apparently, Obama sold San Diego to Venezuela to pay for Obama Care!;))
I know what you say but, this was really really fast. I mean, the screen went black with the no signal inmediatly, I guess because it wasn't something gradual, but as you say, the building structure totally blocked the signal, so it was like a shutdown. I was really close to the building so I wasn't checking the signal bars.. I guess that the main problem was I underestimate the whole situation because I was really near of the building. Lol I will buy a lottery ticket!! Fellows please! Let's all learn something about this!!

Yowzer --- that was definitely a "Diaper Moment" --- maybe we all should start wearing Depends for incidents like this? Flying a Phantom is fun but not when you have to drive home with a load of crusty poop in your undies because of a scary RTH event. Trust me, I've had a few of my own.

On the up side --- you did capture a really sweet closeup of that tower crane! :p

Reactions: pedrombracho
Yowzer --- that was definitely a "Diaper Moment" --- maybe we all should start wearing Depends for incidents like this? Flying a Phantom is fun but not when you have to drive home with a load of crusty poop in your undies because of a scary RTH event. Trust me, I've had a few of my own.

On the up side --- you did capture a really sweet closeup of that tower crane! :p
Rye crazy thing is I wasn't aware of the whole situation until I get home late at night and sat in front of the tv to see the videos. Lol

Sorry, should have explained… An "O-Ring" is basically a gasket used to keep liquids from leaking out under high-pressure. It was a joke… And a very bad joke at that! Absolutely beautiful footage by the way!
Lol I needed the oring many hours after, in the night when I was at home watching the video!

Reactions: Reed L
My close call. RTH was at 90 feet. gets kind of interesting about 1:30 in and eventually takes a tumble and recovers and comes home safe.

Reactions: Reed L and SENC

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj