The future for DJI

Reaction score
The Phantom 2 products are pretty amazing but the company is certainly not living up to expectations and wonder if they will survive. Customer support through DJI is horrible, the availabily of parts could be difficult, and updates could not continue.

DJI has been silent about everything, updates are late. Without the US market DJI won't survive. Will there ever be a Phantom 3?

I think we should hold tight until everything is resolved. Inventory of the current run could be stock piling so I would not purchase anything for awhile.

I did just sell my P2V so I could purchase a P2 and just saw the injunction. Now I can wait for resolution or a better product.

I didn't think there would be an issue, I think Colin let greed and lawyers got the best of him. A front man who's head no hat could fit?

Six days late on the injunction announcement. DJI support is slow at best, late on fw release. What about P2 ground station? The P2 line states ground station is a capability list but not available.

I will wait for full product support.

Bill_Burkert said:
Six days late on the injunction announcement. DJI support is slow at best, late on fw release. What about P2 ground station? The P2 line states ground station is a capability list but not available.

I will wait for full product support.

I agree w/ya, DJI is a little shaky but I suspect it's growing pains. I'm guessing their their growth took them by surprise, add the Colin G saga and to them it's probably more chaotic then we see. At the moment, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and continue to support them & their products.

Bill_Burkert said:
The Phantom 2 products are pretty amazing but the company is certainly not living up to expectations and wonder if they will survive. Customer support through DJI is horrible, the availabily of parts could be difficult, and updates could not continue.

DJI has been silent about everything, updates are late. Without the US market DJI won't survive. Will there ever be a Phantom 3?

I think we should hold tight until everything is resolved. Inventory of the current run could be stock piling so I would not purchase anything for awhile.

I did just sell my P2V so I could purchase a P2 and just saw the injunction. Now I can wait for resolution or a better product.
How much are you planning on using/needing DJI product support, for Heaven sake? The VAST majority of owners experience nothing but flawless performance from their Phantoms, and sell them eventually to move up to a bigger machine, often as not a DJI product costing significantly more and with greater complexity, plus the same customer support.

DJI has probably been quiet because of the legal action underway as much as anything. Don't assume for a minute that DJI USA is representative of DJI China; it's not. DJI China is a very large corporation, and while being frozen out of the US market for the time being is going to hurt their bottom line some, what makes you think they won't survive without it? a number I've seen in several different places for sales of the Phantom suggest something on the order of 10,000 units/week. I ASSURE you; U.S. sales "may" have accounted for 30% optimistically. Keep in mind they are produced by a Chinese company; a nation that loves consumer electronics more than North Americans do, along with a significantly larger population. Believe it or not, there are thousands of firms manufacturing everything from multi rotor uav/s's to automobiles, truck & buses, airplanes...you name it, without a single unit being sold in the U.S.

In today's global economy, the days of a company needed to depend on U.S. buying power to be successful are long since gone. There are many bigger markets out there.

In my opinion, the only one who is being penalized by you wanting to wait & see is you; while everyone else is out enjoying their multi, you'll be waiting until DJI steps up their CS game.

I share the same sentiments as WReimer above.

I've owned my Phantom since November of 2013 with having absolutely no previous RC experience. The onus was on me to learn the product and educate myself and not rely on some poor soul at the other end of a telephone line to wet nurse me through every paranoid delusion that the product was faulty and not a symptom of my own ignorance.

I wonder what some people want from a Customer Service Facility. If my car develops a fault I contact the dealer from where I bought it and not the manufacturer. If my Phantom developed a fault I would do the same as the dealer is the first expression of the customer service equation. That's why I researched the various resellers and chose who to buy from based upon their product knowledge in the event that I might have a problem. Thankfully I've not needed, as yet, to trouble the dealer from whom I purchased my Phantom and assorted extras.

Compared to the alternatives the DJI product is the most accessible for those that want to enter into the world of multirotors and is as close to PnP as most more mainstream consumer electronics as you can get in the RC arena.

A multirotor is inherently the most unstable aerial platform out there and flight is only made possible because of the advanced features of the flight controller issuing commands to the motors in excess of 100 times a second.To this end the Naza/Wookong work exceptionally straight out of the box with minimal interaction from the enduser. There are many other flight controllers out there, APM, MultiWii, Lotus, Paparazzi, etc. These are aimed at the more seasoned user with experience in many different disciplines.

As with any technical manufacturer you very rarely experience any interaction between the R&D department and the Sales and Marketing teams. One works within the confines of the technology while the other will promise all sorts of wonderful experiences to boost sales totals. The DJI promotional videos are an excellent example of this portraying the device as an easy to fly party accessory when in actual fact, as simple as the Phantom is, it still has to obey the laws of physics and it is on the enduser to familiarise themselves with these constraints and not hope that some magic elf like creature at the end of the telephone will magically resurrect their Phantom after falling out of the sky.

My comments may appear somewhat caustic but reading some peoples comments on the various forums reminds me of the individual who sued a fast food outlet after burning herself with coffee because she wasn't told it was hot.

Regards

Nidge

Well said, forums tend to be full of those who struggle (RTFM) as opposed to those those who did their research...

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Nidge said:
I share the same sentiments as WReimer above.

I've owned my Phantom since November of 2013 with having absolutely no previous RC experience. The onus was on me to learn the product and educate myself and not rely on some poor soul at the other end of a telephone line to wet nurse me through every paranoid delusion that the product was faulty and not a symptom of my own ignorance.

I wonder what some people want from a Customer Service Facility. If my car develops a fault I contact the dealer from where I bought it and not the manufacturer. If my Phantom developed a fault I would do the same as the dealer is the first expression of the customer service equation. That's why I researched the various resellers and chose who to buy from based upon their product knowledge in the event that I might have a problem. Thankfully I've not needed, as yet, to trouble the dealer from whom I purchased my Phantom and assorted extras.

Compared to the alternatives the DJI product is the most accessible for those that want to enter into the world of multirotors and is as close to PnP as most more mainstream consumer electronics as you can get in the RC arena.

A multirotor is inherently the most unstable aerial platform out there and flight is only made possible because of the advanced features of the flight controller issuing commands to the motors in excess of 100 times a second.To this end the Naza/Wookong work exceptionally straight out of the box with minimal interaction from the enduser. There are many other flight controllers out there, APM, MultiWii, Lotus, Paparazzi, etc. These are aimed at the more seasoned user with experience in many different disciplines.

As with any technical manufacturer you very rarely experience any interaction between the R&D department and the Sales and Marketing teams. One works within the confines of the technology while the other will promise all sorts of wonderful experiences to boost sales totals. The DJI promotional videos are an excellent example of this portraying the device as an easy to fly party accessory when in actual fact, as simple as the Phantom is, it still has to obey the laws of physics and it is on the enduser to familiarise themselves with these constraints and not hope that some magic elf like creature at the end of the telephone will magically resurrect their Phantom after falling out of the sky.

My comments may appear somewhat caustic but reading some peoples comments on the various forums reminds me of the individual who sued a fast food outlet after burning herself with coffee because she wasn't told it was hot.

Regards

Nidge

My phantom literally did fall out of the sky. Battery power cable came free from the board, bad solder.

I took it back to the shop, and they decided to send it to the dealer. No idea what the outcome will be (waited 2 weeks so far), but if I lived in the US of A I might be SOL. I don't blame anyone for wanting to wait for the current events to be resolved, especially if money is tight.

If I somehow don't get a replacement or repair I will still probably buy a new one :)

Talking of DJI - here is a bit of fun. The Google Earth image of their location in China takes you to a building in the university district with an passenger airliner about to crash on the roof! In Google maps the address takes you to another location - which is just waste ground. If they can't work out where they are located, what hope has their NAZA :)

DJI. No.9 Yuexing 1st Rd. Shenzhen, Guangdong, China, 518057.

HOG said:
Talking of DJI - here is a bit of fun. The Google Earth image of their location in China takes you to a building in the university district with an passenger airliner about to crash on the roof! In Google maps the address takes you to another location - which is just waste ground. If they can't work out where they are located, what hope has their NAZA :)

DJI. No.9 Yuexing 1st Rd. Shenzhen, Guangdong, China, 518057.
Right on! :)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik