The first true rival to DJI...... Parrot Bebop?

Here's a quick comparison video I did this morning.
Cloudy weather so not optimal.
Half the price... Half the value?
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prtS8vrF7aA[/youtube]

Nice job!!! That answers a few questions, eh? :D

-slinger

Good effort making comparison videos !

Four things:

• Color/White Balance
    Contrast
    Pixel Resolution
    Fisheye Effect

Color/White Balance:

• It appears the Bebop does not filter out as much red or infrared. (all digital image sensors are sensitive to infra-red. that is why lenses many times have a clear-looking film on the inside. clear to the naked eye but more-opaque to infra-red.)

Viewing the green-colored canopy-tarp directly with your own eyeballs; how does the color balance rate between the two ? Which gave a better representation of the tarps green color ? (perhaps comparing other colors too).

Contrast:

• White represented a better overall realism of the image compared to what you saw with your own eyeballs ?

Pixel Resolution:

• Perhaps if the contrast and balance could somehow be rectified, both would appear to have good pixel resolution.

Pixel Resolution:

• Since the two videos were cropped, it was hard to discern the fish eye effect on the fringes of the images. Panning the camera from downward to the horizon might better reveal more.

The Bebop removes/crops out any fisheye (it's in their marketing material) so I put the Phantom on narrow view which seems closest to the Bebop. I haven't been able to get any fisheye from the Bebop at all.
The sun is out today so I'll head down to the park for another more controlled comparison testing the different AWB preset settings as well.
I would say the Phantom has much better real life image, as you can see the Bebop blows out either highlights or shadows and there are only 3 adjustable settings... AWB, Exposure and Saturation
Here's a screen grab from the interface
IMG_6434.jpg

Even with the Phantom I always process the final footage anyway and anyone who's used a GoPro know how washed out the raw video is too so I'm hoping to be able to use some Bebop footage for good effect.
The default photos are just a screen grab from the video so I'll have to play around with the "high res" option to see if that's any good.
I'll try and do a better video with no cropping first then a side by side flythrough.
Currently the software is missing a ton of features that Parrot is still advertising so I'm guessing they're still working on that so there's hope that we'll get more control over everything as right now it's pretty bare bones.

The new comparison video is up, done in optimal lighting conditions.
I added a run down of the different AWB & colour settings on the Bebop as well as showing the Bebop footage fullscreen before split-screening it.
It came in close to 10 minutes so I added some review commentary over the footage.
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgZDWygIQNc[/youtube]

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdriSmitJnr