The FAA Will Not Let You Fly Commercial W/O A Pilot Certificate

• Thread starter Deleted member 29014
  • Start date
Man this thread went in circles .... actually more like a pretzel really.

To save time and the repeated questions about the 333 exemption. This will likely change when the rules are finalized in 2016/2017 but don't waste your and the FAA's time writing for an exemption to this requirement.
Anyone really believes after issuing 1,200 333 exemptions, everyone requiring a pilot certificate to fly, the Feds are going to go back?

I know you think this is stupid, so do I but it is what it is, don't waste your time bitching about it. I would suggest you enroll in one of the many online ground schools, or at least get a copy of the Pilot Aeronautical Knowledge Handbook, I think that's what it's called. It will prepare you for the expected written test to get your UAV operator rating whenever the FAA gets off their butt.
I am a virgin phantom 3 pro owner. Is there a class I can attend to better understand the regulations?

Remember, your 333 could go "poof" at any time. It's temporary.

If you read the entire NPRM, the FAA would like to make it mandatory to not only have an Airman's certificate.....but they would prefer it be a COMMERCIAL certificate.

In typical FAA jargon, they then acknowledge that that might put "excessive burden" on operators of sUAS aircraft. But it has not been ruled out.

I feel this would an overreach big time and may be a bit of a power grab if it came to be. But then, nah..government bureaucracies aren't like that..... are they?

Last edited:
Are kites with cameras in need of a 333?

Not entirely or literally accurate, the operator of the drone doesn't have to have a pilot's license. I looked up my insurance company and found them with an approved 333 exemption. I read the whole application. Their pilots, who have hands on the sticks, don't have to have a pilots license. But a licensed pilot who overseas operations in the field has to to be there with them and they also have a formalized and official UAV program at their company etc etc etc

"The FAA Will Not Let You Fly Commercial W/O A Pilot Certificate"

This is a given. Before you can get a Commercial endorsement, you must already have an Airman's Certificate.

Again, the FAA has not made a final decision as to whether or not the finalized rulings will allow a sUAS (drone) operator to operate a small unmanned aircraft without a Commercial endorsement.
Should the FAA rule that a Commercial endorsement IS required, this will GREATLY reduce the number of people who are able to use a drone for commercial purposes.

It seems illogical to require that for drone operation as the hazards and potential for property destruction are far far less with a small drone vs a piloted aircraft.

It seems reasonable to grant drone operators who complete an FAA course that includes sufficient training on the National Airspace system with a certificate allowing such use without the burdens of certification required for manned aircraft. The costs for such training should be reasonable from start to certificate. Perhaps this is what they're leaning towards.
Let's hope common sense prevails.

Reactions: BlackOpsTeamster
Not entirely or literally accurate, the operator of the drone doesn't have to have a pilot's license. I looked up my insurance company and found them with an approved 333 exemption. I read the whole application. Their pilots, who have hands on the sticks, don't have to have a pilots license. But a licensed pilot who overseas operations in the field has to to be there with them and they also have a formalized and official UAV program at their company etc etc etc
Wow, you sir, are spreading misinformation. These sections are taken directly from the exemption:

"13. Under this grant of exemption, a PIC must hold either an airline transport,
commercial, private, recreational, or sport pilot certificate
. The PIC must also hold a
current FAA airman medical certificate or a valid U.S. driver’s license issued by a
state, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, a territory, a possession, or the Federal
government. The PIC must also meet the flight review requirements specified in
14 CFR § 61.56 in an aircraft in which the PIC is rated on his or her pilot certificate."

AS OF 10:27 HOURS MST ON AUGUST 26, 2015 THE FAA WILL NOT EXEMPT OPERATORS FLYING A UAV UNDER 333 FROM THE PILOT LICENSE REQUIREMENT.

Call them. if you don't believe, but don't spread misinformation here. The topic has been thoroughly discussed.

Wow, you sir, are spreading misinformation. These sections are taken directly from the exemption:

"13. Under this grant of exemption, a PIC must hold either an airline transport,
commercial, private, recreational, or sport pilot certificate
. The PIC must also hold a
current FAA airman medical certificate or a valid U.S. driver’s license issued by a
state, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, a territory, a possession, or the Federal
government. The PIC must also meet the flight review requirements specified in
14 CFR § 61.56 in an aircraft in which the PIC is rated on his or her pilot certificate."

AS OF 10:27 HOURS MST ON AUGUST 26, 2015 THE FAA WILL NOT EXEMPT OPERATORS FLYING A UAV UNDER 333 FROM THE PILOT LICENSE REQUIREMENT.

Call them. if you don't believe, but don't spread misinformation here. The topic has been thoroughly discussed.

Go to the FAA website where the approved 333 exemptions are posted for the public. Find USAA's (Insurance Company) approved 333 exemption and read it beginning to end.

Then come back here and reply please.

Ooooo!! Waiting on this one! But I believe Luis is correct. I don't want to go read a long exemption, either. I just don't think the FAA has singled out 1 applicant for special treatment.

Go to the FAA website where the approved 333 exemptions are posted for the public. Find USAA's (Insurance Company) approved 333 exemption and read it beginning to end.

Then come back here and reply please.
I just did, searched for usaa, insurance, No matching records found. can you post the link?

Here it is
https://www.faa.gov/uas/legislative...ted_Services_Automobile_Association_11309.pdf

It has the same verbiage as the other 333 exemptions, ie "13. Under this grant of exemption, a PIC must hold either an airline transport, commercial, private, recreational, or sport pilot certificate. The PIC must also hold a current FAA airman medical certificate or a valid U.S. driver’s license issued by a state, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, a territory, a possession, or the Federal 5 government. The PIC must also meet the flight review requirements specified in 14 CFR § 61.56 in an aircraft in which the PIC is rated on his or her pilot certificate."

Here it is
https://www.faa.gov/uas/legislative...ted_Services_Automobile_Association_11309.pdf

It has the same verbiage as the other 333 exemptions, ie "13. Under this grant of exemption, a PIC must hold either an airline transport, commercial, private, recreational, or sport pilot certificate. The PIC must also hold a current FAA airman medical certificate or a valid U.S. driver’s license issued by a state, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, a territory, a possession, or the Federal 5 government. The PIC must also meet the flight review requirements specified in 14 CFR § 61.56 in an aircraft in which the PIC is rated on his or her pilot certificate."
Thanks. Phantom751874 point, back to you...

Here's the thing about PIC. As defined in CFR 14 Part 1.1 ,

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?rgn=div5&node=14:1.0.1.1.1#se14.1.1_11

"Pilot in command means the person who:

(1) Has final authority and responsibility for the operation and safety of the flight;

(2) Has been designated as pilot in command before or during the flight; and

(3) Holds the appropriate category, class, and type rating, if appropriate, for the conduct of the flight"

Notice that it doesn't say a thing about the person physically controlling the aircraft? I think USAA is probably doing things lawfully, but it has nothing to do with their 333 exemption.

Here's the thing about PIC. As defined in CFR 14 Part 1.1 ,

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?rgn=div5&node=14:1.0.1.1.1#se14.1.1_11

"Pilot in command means the person who:

(1) Has final authority and responsibility for the operation and safety of the flight;

(2) Has been designated as pilot in command before or during the flight; and

(3) Holds the appropriate category, class, and type rating, if appropriate, for the conduct of the flight"

Notice that it doesn't say a thing about the person physically controlling the aircraft? I think USAA is probably doing things lawfully, but it has nothing to do with their 333 exemption.
Disagree. As a licensed pilot I cannot take a seat in the back of the plane, analogous to standing to the side while an unlicensed pilot flies the UAV, and maintain to the FAA that I "Had final authority and responsibility for the operation and safety of the flight;"
The intent of the rules is just as important as the written words. Your definition devalues the meaning of "pilot in command" and USAA is not going to put their exemption on the line by getting cute with definitions.

Phantom 751...is trying to change a rule the FAA has imposed on 1277 exemptions. Not going to happen, just wishful thinking. I reassert my initial statement:"The FAA Will Not Let You Fly Commercial W/O A Pilot Certificate"
I'm sure Stevemann will add his input shortly.

Thanks. Phantom751874 point, back to you...

Shoot, I stand corrected!

I read their application a few weeks ago and in it they request it but the FAA ends up ignoring that specific request. I assumed as it was the first time I had read any of the 333's that their application if submitted and approved would infer acceptance by the FAA.

But I went back again and see the FAA responds and approves their application but specifically points out which exemptions they approve and then to cover all their bases rattles off a laundry list of conditions, which include the Pilot's Certificate requirement.

Sorry Luis, my bad.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj