The FAA is fining the NYC Phantom crash dbag

garrock said:
The movie: Alien 2

Yes, Bishop did say that in Alien 2, which was Aliens.
Good catch.

My point still stands, the Phantom 1s were skittish, at times.

SilentAV8R said:
So a Phantom weighs in at about 3 pounds. Figure an average of 10 feet per story and this guy was hitting buildings 25 stories up.

So let me ask you. WOuld you be willing to let me drop a 3 pound weight on your head from a height of 250 feet?? It will be going around 85 miles per hour when it hits your head. Do the math/physics. I'm betting that could easily kill you.

where are your wind resistance calculations?

thongbong said:
What is your stance on flying in situations like this? Do you have safety guidelines for flying your Phantom? And you've got to be kidding me when you say a 1350gram weight falling at terminal velocity is not fatal?!

OK experts..... what is the terminal velocity of a stock Phantom with GoPro attached falling from the sky?

Oh and next your gonna say a Penny tossed off the Empire State building can kill someone too!

Let's see those Physics skills at work.

Reactions: Choad McDaniel
Bruce - let's forego empirical analysis and go straight to field testing. Are you willing to allow me to drop a Phantom with props spinning on your head from 250 feet high?

I will and if I catch it, it's mine. A penny dropped from a tall building will not kill you. Myth Busters already proved that.

Btw. I have been hit by hail bigger than a penny and I ain't dead. It's not fun though. Some have even thrown coins off the Empire State building only to see them go up. Severe updrafts between buildings slow things down quite a bit.

Tell me this Phantom is dropping at 85 mph
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9H3Ods1sQ8
edit another video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F34iAVdJYnk
oh and right after crash, he swapped batteries and was up flying again
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-2y7rmCAx8
and another
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALURTzVL8a0
sorry no magic bullet here, they simply don't fall that fast.

This would be a typical falling Phantom, BTW a penny would hit it's terminal velocity in about 50 feet at a speed of 25mph and would barely do anything on impact.

As you can clearly see in the video the Phantom's rate of descent, in fact after the motors die, the props start spinning backwards as it drops which causes additional wind resistance, on impact hardly any damage occurred to the quad.

Bring your Phantom out to the Sepulveda basin tomorrow for the meet, and I'll stand underneath as it falls, then put my body between it and the ground. I would love to catch it on video just to prove how unlikely a Phantom can cause serious injury.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11488

Terminal Velocity means the constant speed at which an object achieves during a drop, which size, weight, volume, air resistance are all factors.

SilentAV8R said:
You did not answermy question. Can I drop a Phantom on your head from 250 feet?? If not, why not??

sorry I thought I made myself perfectly clear, come out to the meet tomorrow with a stock Phantom 1 and GoPro camera and I'll stand underneath it so you can drop it from 250 feet up on my head.

BruceTS said:
SilentAV8R said:
You did not answermy question. Can I drop a Phantom on your head from 250 feet?? If not, why not??

sorry I thought I made myself perfectly clear, come out to the meet tomorrow with a stock Phantom 1 and GoPro camera and I'll stand underneath it so you can drop it from 250 feet up on my head.
Ah, so you are willing to demonstrate that you have less than zero sense. Sorry, I know better and will not open myself to the liability that would result after knocking you on your butt (and likely worse) by pulling such a stunt.

Maybe a buddy of yours will be willing to oblige your nonsense. Be sure to take video!!

SilentAV8R said:
Ah, so you are willing to demonstrate that you have less than zero sense. Sorry, I know better and will not open myself to the liability that would result after knocking you on your butt (and likely worse) by pulling such a stunt.

Maybe a buddy of yours will be willing to oblige your nonsense. Be sure to take video!!
Then don't make statements that your not willing to follow through with. In fact I believe you have a P2, so you wouldn't be able to comply. I may just put my Phantom back to a stock configuration and do a video myself, showing how idiotic the FAA truly is, since a Phantom 1 doesn't have the mass to kill or do significant property damage.

SilentAV8R said:
Bruce - let's forego empirical analysis and go straight to field testing. Are you willing to allow me to drop a Phantom with props spinning on your head from 250 feet high?

BTW I've had my Phantom crash into me many times and suffered ZERO injuries. Size does matter, only real injuries that can occur from a Phantom is from the spinning props and those would be very minor at best, unless an eye gets poked.

A flyball at a baseball game has more force than a falling Phantom, knocking me down, now I know your trolling....

Suwaneeguy said:
Looks to me like the guy was maybe on his absolute first flight. As he had trouble getting it off the ground.
I counted at least four crashes into a building, 20 floors up, the bird shook it off, uprighted andcontinued flying.

And the frickin FAA STILL wants to hound people for being so bold and brave?

I hope I misunderstood you. Are you saying flying off a high rise over midtown Manhattan during rush hours with lots and lots and lots of people walking on the sidewalk while bumping the craft uncontrollably into building over and over again is bold and brave and that the FAA should NOT hound this guy?

BruceTS said:
OK experts..... what is the terminal velocity of a stock Phantom with GoPro attached falling from the sky?

Oh and next your gonna say a Penny tossed off the Empire State building can kill someone too!

Dude! :lol: You must have a really thick skull to compare 1350 grams to the weight of a penny... you win the internet! I quit lol.

thongbong said:
BruceTS said:

Dude! :lol: You must have a really thick skull to compare 1350 grams to the weight of a penny... you win the internet! I quit lol.

Although I'm curious, do you have any safety guidelines when you fly?

BruceTS said:

Bruce, those line of questions are just being argumentative and I am sure you have no interest in what the answer is.

Or you can read the following and proof me wrong.

A P2V+ weights about 2 lb and 11 oz.

Would you let a 2lb 11 oz lead ball be drop on top of your skull from top of empire state building?

In vacuum, the terminal velocity of a 10lb cast iron and a single feather is the same. This is a well proven physics that any 10th grader can tell you.

In real life, there's air resistance that needs to factor in. Even assume vacuum condition, same terminal velocity, a feather drop from top of Empire State building isn't gonna kill you. It simple does not produce enough kinetic energy (kev = 1/2 m x v^2) to penetrate skull. However, a 3 lbs cast iron would certainly crack your skull easily.

And if you really are SERIOUS about physics, you'll also need to factor in the impact area as the energy is distributed throughout the impact area. An example would be a 10 lb bowling ball drop on top of a nail that's place on your palm vs. a 10 lb bowling ball drop on your palm.

So.. really, would it kill someone? Is that really the question you are concern with? Is that the "litmus" test criteria? So if it breaks someone's property, or injure someone, that's ok? Oh how about it? by fluke, it was drop on the face of a 2 months old baby in stroller?

And to answer your question, the terminal velocity of a penny drop from empire state building would reach about 30-50 mph.

A car coming at you at 30-50 mph would most certainly kill you.
A penny coming at you at 30-50 mph would hurt, but NOT kill you.
A 3 lb object coming at you at 30-50 mph would....... Wanna be my test subject? If you don't die, it certainly is going to hurt a lot I would imagine.

Reference for Penny Velocity
http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php ... dangerous/

http://science.howstuffworks.com/scienc ... ilding.htm

http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... opped-off/

Kinetic Energy formula:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinetic_energy

weight of a P2V+
(see picture). 2lb and 11oz or 1219.03 gram

Terminal velocity of P2V+...
Let's just say around 30 to 50 mph or maybe someone with free falling experience can tell us. What we DO know is a free falling P2V+ is certainly to produce enough force to break the gimbal, camera, camera lense, landing skid, and propeller.

so.. 50 mph = 22.352 meter/secon

kev = 1/2 * 1219.03 * 22.352 ^2 = 304,520.9 gm/s^2 = 304,520 Joule = 304kJ, so there you have, and then what?

Attachments

• 20140503_165936.jpg
    20140503_165936.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 408
Now redo all your calculations for a Phantom 1 with a GoPro which weighs 1020g, that is what was used in the NYC video.

BTW a 2lb 11 oz lead ball doesn't equal a P2 when falling from the sky, their terminal velocity will be vastly different, so no I wouldn't.

I love how people ASSUME so much without actual proof.....

Where's your actual data on actual Terminal Velocity of a Phantom?
Also make sure your using the proper formula's when attempting to prove your point, you left out so much. Where's the deflection, absorption calculations of the given pieces of a Phantom.

Louis Bloomfield, a physicist at the University of Virginia. And he should know. He recently used wind tunnels and helium balloons to replicate the fall of pennies from skyscrapers.
Pennies are flat, so they experience a lot of air resistance, and they are light, so it doesn't take much drag to counteract their weight. Thus, if hurled off a skyscraper, pennies achieve their terminal velocity after only about 50 feet (15 meters) of descent. After that point, they flutter to the ground at a measly 25 mph (40 kph), Bloomfield said.

BruceTS said:
Now redo all your calculations for a Phantom 1 with a GoPro which weighs 1020g, that is what was used in the NYC video.

BTW a 2lb 11 oz lead ball doesn't equal a P2 when falling from the sky, their terminal velocity will be vastly different, so no I wouldn't.

I love how people ASSUME so much without actual proof.....

Where's your actual data on actual Terminal Velocity of a Phantom?
Also make sure your using the proper formula's when attempting to prove your point, you left out so much. Where's the deflection, absorption calculations of the given pieces of a Phantom.

Louis Bloomfield, a physicist at the University of Virginia. And he should know. He recently used wind tunnels and helium balloons to replicate the fall of pennies from skyscrapers.
Pennies are flat, so they experience a lot of air resistance, and they are light, so it doesn't take much drag to counteract their weight. Thus, if hurled off a skyscraper, pennies achieve their terminal velocity after only about 50 feet (15 meters) of descent. After that point, they flutter to the ground at a measly 25 mph (40 kph), Bloomfield said.

We all apologize to BruceTS, he is correct. A Phantom falling at terminal velocity, striking someone on the head, at the sharpest point will NOT, NEVER EVER, cause injury or harm, nor will it break any car windows, neon signs, cats or little old ladies.

Please someone with Admin rights close this topic before we lose more brain cells to this :lol:

As I said, he's just being argumentative for argumentative sake without any substance or merit to contribute to the discussion.

Bruce we still need to drop a phantom ( and I don't care if its a P1 ) on your head.. Then we can really determine if your science is accurate. I don't care if its a **** feather, I do NOT want anything dropping on my head, which is pretty much everyone's argument in this post.. Fly smart my fellow pilots.

Reactions: N017RW
are we talking about the guy whose quad crashed into the building and he walked in and asked for it back?

This is why the posts from BruceTS suddenly stopped after May 14th, 2014....

Thanks for resurrecting this 2 year old thread. I've always wondered what happened to BruceTS...

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj