The Drone Federalism Act

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hey guys.

Someone posted this in a Facebook Group for the spark and I haven't seen it yet. It was from 3 days ago and it begins to outline some of the legislation that they will put on our ability to use our UASs legally with some more specific terms (so far).

By a quick read, and to be honest, i don't have time to read the whole thing it sounds like they are calling anything above a privately owned dwelling 200'.

I am not sure exactly what they are saying you are allowed to fly (altitude wise) for non-commercial pilots or even hobbyist ones but it is definitely an interesting article as it's the first I've read that has any info about where the government is planning to go with the use of UASs.

I also am finally giving in and just calling them "drones" for good since the legislation itself, if this is all true, is actually calling the bill "The Drone Federalism Act".

From looking at Wiki, it appears to be a bi-partison draw of 2 dems and 1 republican, or the other way around, I can't remember and the basic tenets from the Wiki copy and pasted are:

The Drone Federalism Act is designed to limit the scope of "the FAA’s preemption for drone regulations and protect states’ rights to enact drone laws."[5]

"Feinstein’s proposal would reserve state authority to “issue reasonable restrictions on the time, manner, and place of operation of a civil unmanned aircraft system that is operated below 200 feet above ground level or within 200 feet of a structure,” and further defines “reasonable restrictions” to include: limits on speed; prohibitions on flight near any public or private property; restrictions on operations during certain times of day or week, or special occasions; and other “prohibitions that protect public safety, personal privacy, or property rights, or that manage land use or restrict noise pollution.”"[5]

If passed, the bill would:

• Recognizes the FAA’s general authority over the nation’s airspace. It would make sure that state and local governments have the right to issue reasonable restrictions on the time and areas of operations for drone use.[3]
  • "Reaffirms that the federal government will respect private property rights to the airspace immediately above a person’s property, which includes the first 200 feet."[3]
  • Promote cooperation between various levels of government.[3]
  • Protect the legitimate interests of state, local, and tribal governments, including:[5]
    • protecting public safety
    • protecting personal privacy
    • protecting property rights
    • managing land use
    • restricting nuisances and noise pollution

Here is a link to the article that was posted in the group:

Drones Are About to Revolutionize Our World. This Bill Will Let America Lead the Drone Economy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1