The drone catcher (anti drone interceptor)

N

Noël

Not sure if it was posted already here (can not find it)

The drone catcher: Flying net is designed to stop terrorists from flying bomb-laden gadgets into nuclear power stations
Malou Tech Interceptor MP200 drops a net to ensnare aerial intruders
French officials also ask scientists to devise more sophisticated solutions
They want to scramble their control mechanisms and destroy them safely
France has faced dozens of drone overflights over sensitive sites

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z3RQuihSMi

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMFBUZ8iLTw[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaymgxkPhyc[/youtube]

I would love to see them try to catch me :)

I use to run the conference room for NORDA over that the shuttle engine testing facility at NSTL Mississippi. I guess it's Stennis Space Center now? I'm not sure about other locations but our command didn't do any weapons research that I was aware of and I was aware of a lot because part of my job was translating the scientific data to visual media like video, 35mm slides...crap like that.

But you meet people, and you hear things, and the rumor is that while the new rail gun technology reaching speeds of Mach 10 is pretty impressive and should give any enemy pause, the new particle weapons make the rail guns look like toys.

So I guess my question is why not simply burn them out of the sky?

Edit: New Flytrex challenge: How close can you fly to a US Destroyer?

As it's a government sponsored (secured) facility.. just jam the control frequencies when an FPV type signal is detected... use the other drone to follow it back home, jamming all the way back.. :)

Noël said:
I would love to see them try to catch me :)

Seriously. The net is certainly effective in this demo, but I doubt the effectiveness of the entire system against a drone that didn't want to be caught.

Guess I won't be painting my drone high-visibility orange anytime soon.

Must of took them years to think of that, & I find the send a drone to catch a drone ironic

I have a sky blue and white camo paint on mine. I never see it once its about 200 feet away. Now if only they can make it quieter.

I suppose if you wanted ultra-low tech approach from the mind of a 5 year old, made up of parts from a 10 year olds 'Pitch Back', and almost no chance of catching a moving drone that doesn't want to be caught, you go France! I wonder if it is croissant powered?

Unusual for the French to have something that chases something, they usually run away ;) :lol:

(only joking, no offense meant)

Electric Warrior said:
Unusual for the French to have something that chases something, they usually run away ;) :lol:

(only joking, no offense meant)

Shots fired!

Clipper707 said:
Guess I won't be painting my drone high-visibility orange anytime soon.

And hover while the other drone with a net approaches...

The drone catcher: Flying net is designed to stop terrorists from flying bomb-laden gadgets into nuclear power stations
This is the bigger joke - the containment buildings over the nuclear parts are designed to withstand a direct hit from a crashing airliner. A small drone with explosives could take out a parking lot light. There must be some government money behind these hairbrained ideas.

Gee it must be hard to catch a stationary hovering drone.
What a useless demo of absolutely nothing. A lighter more nimble drone without a bloody great net swinging around under it, would give that thing one hell of a challenge even keeping it in sight, let alone catching it. Would be a fun game though - Star Wars II - Attack of the drones.

Next we'll see an interceptor with a little machine gun. That would be pretty dramatic.

Seriously, would a drone with a weighted net catch something faster than an albatross? I think these French engineers are just looking for a budget to play with their toys.

Mine is carbon fibre effect, with black and red props, and today I was bringing it back to me, at a height of 60m, and distance of 40m, and I could tell from the FPV screen and from the sound that I could hear, where it SHOULD be, but for the life of me I couldn't see it when I kept looking up to find it LOS. In the end I had to bring it in lower and closer with the FPV before I could finally see it. I was looking partially towards the sun though.
Blue and white would have been a real biatch to find.

Ezookiel said:
Mine is carbon fibre effect, with black and red props, and today I was bringing it back to me, at a height of 60m, and distance of 40m, and I could tell from the FPV screen and from the sound that I could hear, where it SHOULD be, but for the life of me I couldn't see it when I kept looking up to find it LOS. In the end I had to bring it in lower and closer with the FPV before I could finally see it. I was looking partially towards the sun though.
Blue and white would have been a real biatch to find.
Been there, done that! Where that hell is that thing . . .

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdriSmitJnr