The dreaded screws

Reaction score
I know everybody has a hard time with the 4 Phillips screws when taking the Phantom shell apart. I don't know if you really need to put them back or not .But to remove them after I strip them out.( At leased 2 every time). I use a 5/64 reverse drill bit. It works every time.Once had to use an extractor for that size bit.I get them at McMaster & Carr.Of course you will have to replace with New ones if you decide to put them back in.

The Phantom shell has a number of very small, easy-to-strip Phillips screws, and most infuriating, they're not all the same size. I really recommend having a small jeweler's set of screwdrivers to deal with them specifically.

And they don't really bear much load, they're really just there to prevent the ends of the shells from visibly lifting away from each other. So you don't need to really torque them down excessively. The three hex screws per arm are doing the real work.

Took mine down to a hobby shop and they were able to get them out. One of them was a real pain and they thought that the head was stripped out. One of the guys took one more crack at it and he said that there was a very little bit of stuff down in the head of that screw where the driver would seat. He took a razor blade and carefully got the trash, gunk, or what ever out. The screwdriver was able to seat properly and it came right out. Coulda been glue, dust, or what ever. It may be worth the extra little effort to clean out the heads of those screws.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl