The Cost of a Phantom

Reaction score
I'm just curious. Why do Phantom's cost so much. Think of what $1,000 can buy you these days in technology. And what is a Phantom, 4 motors, a circuit board w/ typical electronics (compass, gps, gyro) and a plastic shell. Just wondering what others thought.

Why does anything cost so much? Most people do not sell things just to recoup the cost it takes to manufacture them.

First off your right just a few motors and motor controller but you have GPS, video and telementry data transmitter and receiver. You have a control circuit main board, Naza controller and sensors for different functions. Lipo battery and remote control unit. Start pricing them out separate with the camera and gimbal... Such a deal. Go cheaper go for the P3 standard for around $599 at sales. Good price for the total components.

Reactions: Nick DroneBase
For what you get, is an amazing price, technology, really cool technology, I'm. Still wondering who is possible when my phantom hoover at 20m, witchcraft! Haha

But when you think in all the components, the baterry is not cheap, the lightbridge, the gps and glonass, is amazing

I think for example that clothes, that is a scam,, 200 dollars for a t-shirt that's insane and the production cos would be really low for that.

Why does a Jag, or Porsche, or Lamborgini, cost so much? I mean, they're just an engine, 4 tires and a steering wheel?

Why do people pay $400 for a pair of tennis shoes? Just because it has some (already fabulously wealthy) sports' star plugging them on TV?

Heck, when I was in high school I bought a calculator that had some amazing functions. Not only could it do the 4 basic math functions, but it had the magical power to do square roots and no more than 3 pairs of parentheses. Astounding! It only cost me a mere, paltry $499.

Last edited:
Reactions: Buckwheeat
You also have to consider the software development costs - there is a lot of code in the Phantom, the remote, the apps for multiple device operating systems. That's a huge expense that has to be added to the cost of the hardware.

Scott

Reactions: Milo223
Just go back 3-4 years when a P1 cost over $1000 and all you got was a bird and controller . Once you added all the goodies you where close to if not over $2000 with 6min. Flight time . I just seen a sale around $1100 for a P3P that is great for all you get now days so in the end prices are better than before .

Reactions: Fplvert
Why does a Jag, or Porsche, or Lamborgini, cost so much? I mean, they're just an engine, 4 tires and a steering wheel?

Why do people pay $400 for a pair of tennis shoes? Just because it has some (already fabulously wealthy) sports' star plugging them on TV?

Heck, when I was in high school I bought a calculator that had some amazing functions. Not only could it do the 4 basic math functions, but it had the magical power to do square roots and no more than 3 pairs of parentheses. Astounding! It only cost me a mere, paltry $499.

Who pays $400 for shoes, unless there mountain climbing boot....but, I get your point.

You also have to consider the software development costs - there is a lot of code in the Phantom, the remote, the apps for multiple device operating systems. That's a huge expense that has to be added to the cost of the hardware.

Scott
Yea I totally get you, that's why we pay 60 for a DVD or blue ray with a game, is not the cost of the DVD or blue ray is the cost of the information, all. The data is expensive!

Just go back 3-4 years when a P1 cost over $1000 and all you got was a bird and controller . Once you added all the goodies you where close to if not over $2000 with 6min. Flight time . I just seen a sale around $1100 for a P3P that is great for all you get now days so in the end prices are better than before .
For that we can help the competition, 3d robotics and the others, without competition dji cam sell actually a kite with camera and we can actually have another other choise to buy it, now we have a few options, and the best price and quality gers our money.

Well the Lamborghini is expensive because they have a limited stock, and most of all the technology on a Lamborghini is the best you can get. Is not any engine in that car is a really state of the art engine and that is for every single piece of that car

I agree with the OP the Phantom is overpriced. For the price that DJI gets there should have been no issues with the cracks in the arms.

Gopro 4 Black costs $500. With a Phantom 3, you're getting a Gopro4 Black plus everything else to make it fly.

A lot of people flying Phantoms are coming from the photography hobby where a good dSLR will cost you $2-4K and another $1-3K for the lenses.

A Phantom 3 Pro costs about half of just one of my camera lenses... I would say that P3 is a good deal when you're looking at it as a photography tool, which is what DJI markets it as: "Tripod in the sky".

The only problem is that Phantom 3s are fragile, expensive to fix, and basically a paperweight if one part breaks. A tiny little crash can burn out an ESC and that's a $450+ repair right there. With Phantom 2, you could at least repurpose some parts and fix some things. Not with P3.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl