"The Cold Smoke Skies" - P3P/P3S flying in Montana!

Oh Wow, I didn't want it to end. Great job.
I really miss Montana.
Welcome to the forum.

Did you live in Montana or just visiting when you were here? Its a great state and I feel lucky to be able to make a living here while still being able to enjoy everything it has to offer.

Beautiful locations, I loved the colours at the end!
I thought some of the shots were too long though, probably need to add a few more cuts in there.

Beautiful locations, I loved the colours at the end!
I thought some of the shots were too long though, probably need to add a few more cuts in there.
Thanks, Shawnakova! That Sunset at the end was something else, huh? I love that shot myself. Didn't do any touching up or anything on it either. What you see is what came out of the camera, simply beautiful. And yeah, I agree some of the shots were longer than what would be ideal. I'll keep that in mind for next time!

Great shots! I need some time off to visit my property in Whitefish.
Oh, man, you got a great location if you're up by Whitefish. Love that area. I try to make it up to Glacier at least once a year as there's so much amazing scenery there. Granted can't take the Phantom into the park but as you know you don't have to go into the park to get some amazing sights! Thanks for the compliments as well!

Did you live in Montana or just visiting when you were here? Its a great state and I feel lucky to be able to make a living here while still being able to enjoy everything it has to offer.
I lived in Montana for three years, one in Helena and two in Baker. It's a great place to live, but hard to make a living there.

That's really kool
Thanks, BC Ariel!

Beautiful video! Cut off 2 minutes and it's really great!
Yeah, next video I think I'm going to cut down on the length of some of the shots. Some are nice to build tension and flow with the music but gotta make sure to keep people engaged.

Thanks for the nice words!

So I noticed when editing this footage that the center of the image in my Phantom 3 Professional footage is somewhat blurry compared to the left and right sides. You can notice it if you view this on a large enough screen. It's especially easy to see when I'm panning. Look at some of the footage from the above video starting at 3:17. You'll notice as I pan across the ridge line that the center of the screen is blurry and the the edges are sharp. If you look at a stationary spot on the ridge, as I pan, you can see the ridge line go from blurry to sharp or vice versa.

I didn't think much of it at the time but recently looking at some other shots I've taken I see I have the same issue. I've noticed that the center of all my shots are blurry compared to the left and right edges. Once you notice it, you can't unsee it, and unfortunately upon comparing it to some of The Phantom 3 Standard footage I have it almost looks worse due to this.

I double checked that my Polar Pro filters were smudge/dust free and that they weren't loose, as I've heard that could be a cause. It also seems to do it with all of them. I have yet to test it with the default filter or without one at all, but going to try that today or tomorrow I think.

Any thoughts?

Fantastic video! So calming and peaceful and easy to watch! I wish I could get a photo of the sunset at the end, with all the colors and the shading from the rolling mounds, then the faint snow mobile tracks. So much to look at!

So I noticed when editing this footage that the center of the image in my Phantom 3 Professional footage is somewhat blurry compared to the left and right sides. You can notice it if you view this on a large enough screen. It's especially easy to see when I'm panning. Look at some of the footage from the above video starting at 3:17. You'll notice as I pan across the ridge line that the center of the screen is blurry and the the edges are sharp. If you look at a stationary spot on the ridge, as I pan, you can see the ridge line go from blurry to sharp or vice versa.

I didn't think much of it at the time but recently looking at some other shots I've taken I see I have the same issue. I've noticed that the center of all my shots are blurry compared to the left and right edges. Once you notice it, you can't unsee it, and unfortunately upon comparing it to some of The Phantom 3 Standard footage I have it almost looks worse due to this.

I double checked that my Polar Pro filters were smudge/dust free and that they weren't loose, as I've heard that could be a cause. It also seems to do it with all of them. I have yet to test it with the default filter or without one at all, but going to try that today or tomorrow I think.

Any thoughts?
I have noticed this too, when watching at 4k on my 27 inch screen, i can see its a bit blurry in the middle. Im not sure what could cause this, my best guess is that something happened in post when you processed it. Or the lens fogged up for some reason... not sure

Fantastic video! So calming and peaceful and easy to watch! I wish I could get a photo of the sunset at the end, with all the colors and the shading from the rolling mounds, then the faint snow mobile tracks. So much to look at!

Thanks for the kind words, CHunter415! Yeah that sunset is pretty phenomenal. I was actually up there just a couple days ago, went hiking with a friend in the mountains that are directly behind the camera in that shot, and was still nearly as nice as you see in the video. Made me wish I would have brought the P3P! I can post a photo of that part of the video if you like. Would be a frame grab from the raw 2.7K video (without the YouTube compression). It was shot with the P3S at the time.

I have noticed this too, when watching at 4k on my 27 inch screen, i can see its a bit blurry in the middle. Im not sure what could cause this, my best guess is that something happened in post when you processed it. Or the lens fogged up for some reason... not sure

Wish it was something I did in post. Man, now wouldn't that be an easy fix! When I first noticed the blurriness on this video I looked at the raw footage that comes off the SD card and it was there. You are right though, it could possibly have been due to a fogging issue, as I have been flying in colder temperatures. I can cross my fingers and hope that's the issue.

Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to get out and take the Phantom up with the stock filter or no filter as the weather has been so-so and I'm combating a pretty good cough. Hopefully tomorrow. I'll look to see if it's fogging up at all as well. I'll report back what I find. Thanks for the suggestions.

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind words, CHunter415! Yeah that sunset is pretty phenomenal. I was actually up there just a couple days ago, went hiking with a friend in the mountains that are directly behind the camera in that shot, and was still nearly as nice as you see in the video. Made me wish I would have brought the P3P! I can post a photo of that part of the video if you like. Would be a frame grab from the raw 2.7K video (without the YouTube compression). It was shot with the P3S at the time.

If your willing to share, I'll take a photo! I recently purchased a P3A and have been learning to fly it when I can and hope to take advantage of some of these different perspectives!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1